Aquarena Center demolition scheduled!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My response to the proposed changes are more emotional in nature than anything else based on what "I'd like" to see done with it...and I'm sure it's what most would like.

Now, realistically, I have no idea what the condition of these buildings are, what they cost to maintain, what repairs are needed, etc...might just be too big a drain on the University's coffers and why they want to take them down.

What I'm saying is that I DON'T KNOW the whole story....so before a grass roots campaign is started to "save" anything I think we need more information as to the "why" and the big picture. There may be very good reason as to why the buildings need to go...they are pretty old....

My response to the proposed changes are more emotional in nature than anything else based on what "I'd like" to see done with it...and I'm sure it's what most would like.

Now, realistically, I have no idea what the condition of these buildings are, what they cost to maintain, what repairs are needed, etc...might just be too big a drain on the University's coffers and why they want to take them down.

What I'm saying is that I DON'T KNOW the whole story....so before a grass roots campaign is started to "save" anything I think we need more information as to the "why" and the big picture. There may be very good reason as to why the buildings need to go...they are pretty old....

The Army Corps of Engineer report that chrispete posted is thorough. I'm still slogging through and haven't finished it, but it's a good read for what's in store.

Joe - I'll go one better - my response to the proposed changes is not so much emotional as it is a totally self centered desire to save the diving program at Spring Lake - be it scientific or otherwise.

We enjoy a special privilege right now to dive, albeit under very narrow conditions. The fact that the program allows us to perform real community and environmental service is very rewarding to me personally, and huge bonus, but in return I'm getting the opportunity to dive a pretty nice place. ItÃÔ that ability to dive the lake that IÃÎ looking to protect. IÃÎ afraid that somewhere in all the changes, the diving program will get lost.

I'm afraid that somewhere in all the changes, the diving program will get lost.

Skimming through the report, we science divers and the maintenance we do in the lake aren't even acknowledged. It's a big piece missing from the picture of Spring Lake.

We enjoy a special privilege right now to dive, albeit under very narrow conditions.

Yeah, it is nice to be able to dive there....used to be it was known as "the most expensive dive in Texas".....get caught and you go to jail, plus lose your gear....I know guys who used to go out there at night and dive without lights (full moon)....some got away with it and some got caught....it was a bonus if you knew someone who worked there and could get you in at night and look the other way.....That's how I first got in back in the early 80's...things were different back then....we were also diving JW too....:wink:

I wouldn't mind seeing just the opposite. Rather than demolitioning everything, renovate and restore the themepark. I'd love to see the old shows that they had. I bet it was a heck of a neat place. And use the money made to keep a piece of american heratige up and going. Just keep a compromise to not endanger the endangered critters already living there. Probably get rid of that golf coarse, as to keep the pesticides and herbacides from running off of it into the lake.

With the Springs it would seem prudent if we at least talked to Ron and the people down there about what we could do to help.

If you know Ron, please do talk with him and see what he recommends. Thanks!

Knowing a bit how university administration functions at this level, I do not think Texas State gives one brass farthing for what the science divers think. Or the Aquarena staff, now that I think about it. One group isn't even a blip on the radar, and the other represents a small number of low and mid-level employees.

Just injecting a little pragmatism here. Some of these postings read as really exciting, but aren't realizing just how big a hill there is to climb.

Send the letters to the board of regents directly. I do not recommend going through lower channels.

well, the USACOE site is having issues this morning, so can't read the complete report...

BUT, from what little I was able to review, this is a large-scale project that will have major impacts to the structures that are currently sited in the immediate proximity of Spring Lake. Personally, I'm in complete agreement with the concept of restoring the area and protecting T/E species.

The theme park-related items are more than eyesores and definitely need to be removed. The suggestion here to restore these is curious; the entire premise of this project is to remove the majority of man-made artifacts.

I would be especially interested in knowing if the diverter cap is scheduled for removal. Perhaps then a proper investigation of the interior of the spring opening could be conducted. The last reported reconnaissance dive there left a little to be desired in terms of thoroughness.

I'd be far more optimistic about the final outcome of this project if the Corps wasn't involved, tho...their ability to implement cutting edge environmental 'improvement' is somewhat suspect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom