Aquarena Center demolition scheduled!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

showers are nice, but I think I still need to look for something to keep me warm UNDER the water! :)

This is huge...

Why stop short though? They want to return the area to the way it was....remove the impoundments and drain the lake. Clean out the mess and uncap the springs so they shoot up in the air like they used to. Just go all the way with it.:shakehead:

I agree with removing the theme park structures...but not the visitor center, admin building and The Landing...those could be put to good use for the area, for both education and maintenance use. Remove the sub theater, old mermaid backdrop and any other man made structures in the lake. Otherwise leave everything else but pump the demolition money into restoration.

I'm all for progress but it has to be reasonable and have a purpose. I understand what they're trying to do...just don't agree with it.

Joe-Diver--

On that note of returning it to the way it was, I've always been of the opinion that we science divers are not "keeping it natural," we are "keeping it pristine."

"Natural" is what happens when nature is left to its own devices, and we're counteracting that by removing algae, hydrilla and coonstail that would otherwise clog the springs and obscure the view of the springs from the glass bottom boats. Even if the invasive species were removed from the ecosystem, there would still be maintenance required, in my opinion. Coonstail is native, and that would choke everything given enough time.

Your suggestion of removing the dam and letting it go retro has been made in the past. Opponents of this idea have said current species would be threatened more or even eliminated if the changes were that drastic, as they have become adapted to living in a lake environment.

Sarcasm is hard to convey....and my suggestion to remove the dam was meant as sarcasm....in that they're going too far anyway so might as well do it all.

I don't think the native species would be eliminated if the impoundments were removed. They survived for how many thousands of years before? They're just spread out in the 100+ years the lake has been there and while there would be a die off, they'd simply retreat to the original riverbed boundaries and begin to thrive again in short order. Nature has a way of recovering if we can just leave well enough alone and let it do its thing.

My only beef is the removal of key structures that could be of use to manage the property and environment. Get rid of the old hokey tourist stuff for sure, but leave useful buildings.

Sarcasm is hard to convey....and my suggestion to remove the dam was meant as sarcasm....in that they're going too far anyway so might as well do it all.

I don't think the native species would be eliminated if the impoundments were removed. They survived for how many thousands of years before? They're just spread out in the 100+ years the lake has been there and while there would be a die off, they'd simply retreat to the original riverbed boundaries and begin to thrive again in short order. Nature has a way of recovering if we can just leave well enough alone and let it do its thing.

My only beef is the removal of key structures that could be of use to manage the property and environment. Get rid of the old hokey tourist stuff for sure, but leave useful buildings.

How does this all play with the states requirement to maintain the underwater aquatic habitat (coontail removal and the like) and the federal law that requires protection of the endangered species that currently reside in spring lake and maintaining the lake in the original purchase agreement by Texas State University?

SO

myFOXaustin.com | Underwater Web Cam at Aquarena Center

Ah, yes, I missed the sarcasm. Probably because the suggestion was mentioned years ago in all seriousness, and for the same reasons.

I, too, think removing the surrounding buildings is unnecessary. The gift shop/office complex has a very relaxed, low key feeling that is harmonious with Spring Lake. And the Landing which houses our showers, well, I'm very partial to the showers :) Old amusement rides can go, they wouldn't be missed, as well as the underwater theatre and mermaid props. I'd suggest when they remove the theatre, underwater workers be in hazmat suits. There's bound to be some serious funk in that thing. Worst case scenario in rebuilding would be if the education center FOR Spring Lake is located AWAY from Spring Lake. Oh, the irony!

Some of my best Texas diving is at Spring Lake, although I don't get down there as often as I'd like. And I'm in no way denigrating the work that goes on there, which I'm a part of and believe in. Just putting my thoughts and observations out there :)

How does this all play with the states requirement to maintain the underwater aquatic habitat (coontail removal and the like) and the federal law that requires protection of the endangered species that currently reside in spring lake and maintaining the lake in the original purchase agreement by Texas State University?

SO

Not sure what you're getting at? I'm not seriously suggesting draining the lake....

Some of the most profound words I've ever heard go something like this..."People protect what they love, and they love that which they understand."

My point is this: I'm concerned about some long-term societal impacts that the proposed changes would make on spring lake. The intent of the changes is to return the lake to a more natural condition, and it appears that moving the existing buildings would favor that intent. However, it could quite easily backfire. If the Center and the attached programs (Dive for Science being one of them) must be moved away from the lake, I surmise that the effectiveness of programs and educational efforts would suffer. I find it hard to believe that there will be many patrons that would go to a facility ABOUT Spring lake that is not NEAR the lake. Subsequently, support would dwindle and that would threaten all efforts to maintain and protect the springs as well as the valuable freshwater education program provided there to thousands of people who visit. While I heartily support the removal of extraneous man-made artifacts (the rides, theater, etc...), I fear that moving the educational facilities from the site will ultimately harm the support structure necessary to provide for the spring's future protection and maintenance.

It would appear that a consensus is forming around the need to find a balance between removing the unused amusements and preserving the proximity of the educational facilities.

It occurs to me that this is a public resource, managed by "our" government - which means if "We the people" don't agree with what is going to happen, "We the people" should be able to do something about it. If some two bit neighboorhood association can stop a Walmart, then the Texas Swamp Divers can certainly have a voice in what happens to the Springs.

Do I detect a cause? Would the Austin Swampers be interested in working together to preserve this little gem?

I'm not quite as tied in to Spring Lake as some. I've always thought it was a lot closer to a museum piece than a natural environment. I don't know about any Indian artifacts either. I've seen plenty of man-made artifacts, but nothing more historical than what can be found in the training area. :wink: The whole thing is one big Texas State underwater experiment with a small amount of tourism and OW dive classes to pay the electric bill. Can you tell I'm not impressed?

Plenty of people make a big deal out of Spring Lake and the endangered species there, but it's not a natural habitat by any stretch of the imagination. It's right beside a golf course that is most likely dumping all sorts of contaminants in it. The place is treated like a tourist attraction still...just missing the pig. Everybody wants to keep it, but no one wants to put up the money to maintain and improve it. Probably the people who truly care about it the most are right here on this board and divers for the most part are not treated all that well by the powers that be. I think they believe they are providing a place for us to dive more than we are providing a free service for them.

I'll tell you one thing I think for certain though. If anything, they need to grow the educational initiatives rather than take them away or move them further from the lake. Without public support the place will not be maintained to the degree it needs to be.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom