Aquarena Center demolition scheduled!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

showers are nice, but I think I still need to look for something to keep me warm UNDER the water! :)

Drink plenty of water before the dive...:)

... Probably the people who truly care about it the most are right here on this board ....

My point exactly - if we're among the few that give a hoot - we should be part of what happens. The center should be thinking about how they can use the Science Divers to help formulate and drive the future of the programs out there. As cute as the Texas State coeds are I always thought the science divers should be allowed to drive the boats and give the tours think of the perspective we could add having been down there keeping it clean all these years.

A cooperative effort between the science divers, the Swampers and the area shops that benefit from the training area could represent a powerful voice in determining what happens.

I don't live that close, but count me in on any grass-roots efforts for preservation and protection of the educational services/facilities.

I already use their materials in my science classes. Hopefully, that is helping to build a base of future conservationists interested in using the center and lake as a resource.

If some two bit neighboorhood association can stop a Walmart, then the Texas Swamp Divers can certainly have a voice in what happens to the Springs.

If you are talking about the Walmart on Anderson I'm pretty sure that it's still a go...and that "two bit" neighborhood association worked their butts off and put their money where their mouths were to get the concessions they did get. I live in that "two bit" neighborhood.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying it's a lot easier to talk about it than do something. In this instance you wouldn't be facing a private enterprise with a reputation to worry about either. You'd be facing the bureaucracy of the State, Feds and TX State University...formidable foes to say the least. It may very well take A LOT of money, time and ceratainly plenty of attorneys to make changes they don't necessarily want.

Not sure what you're getting at? I'm not seriously suggesting draining the lake....

That could never, ever happen. :shakehead: That would cause too much of a problem when it comes to watering the golf course!

Last edited:
Some of the most profound words I've ever heard go something like this..."People protect what they love, and they love that which they understand."

My point is this: I'm concerned about some long-term societal impacts that the proposed changes would make on spring lake. The intent of the changes is to return the lake to a more natural condition, and it appears that moving the existing buildings would favor that intent. However, it could quite easily backfire. If the Center and the attached programs (Dive for Science being one of them) must be moved away from the lake, I surmise that the effectiveness of programs and educational efforts would suffer. I find it hard to believe that there will be many patrons that would go to a facility ABOUT Spring lake that is not NEAR the lake. Subsequently, support would dwindle and that would threaten all efforts to maintain and protect the springs as well as the valuable freshwater education program provided there to thousands of people who visit. While I heartily support the removal of extraneous man-made artifacts (the rides, theater, etc...), I fear that moving the educational facilities from the site will ultimately harm the support structure necessary to provide for the spring's future protection and maintenance.

Very well stated. This year will be the year that takes Aquarena into the future. The Army Corp of Engineers have planned this for 10 years. The board of regents at the University vote on it in a couple weeks. The only thing the Army Corp is doing is removing the old, with proper environmental procedures and restoring the land.

Now is the time to make a stand as to the future of the new Aquarena Center, which impacts all who volunteer and come to see it (the public).

I will be more than pleased to present idea's to Ron Coley when I meet with him on this next week.

SO

myFOXaustin.com | Underwater Web Cam at Aquarena Center

Not sure what you're getting at? I'm not seriously suggesting draining the lake....

My point was about the required land agreement with the state and feds that require the University to continue to keep up the underwater aquatic environment (underwater gardening) which is performed mostly by volunteer Science Divers. Therefore, the future of Science Diving will continue beyond the removal of the gift shop and other old buildings or structures.

I know your not serious about draining the bath tub.

Will the location, access and logistics for Science Diving change, possibly. I would think by next year at this time we will have a clearer plan from the University.

SO

myFOXaustin.com | Underwater Web Cam at Aquarena Center

Folks, it may be time for a letter-writing blitz if you have a problem with even a portion of these plans. Yes, I do believe there is a cause here, and I'll be posting info asap regarding the best way, as divers, to at least ask for a modification of the plans. I'm in communication with someone who is in a position to give us the best advice possible regarding this.

I agree with those of you who want to see the gift shop, boats, classrooms and aquarium remain. The manmade in-water structures could be removed to reduce the degradation of the metals, etc., into the spring. Move the shower house to be less obtrusive to the lake? Read the report that Chrispete posted, it's lengthy but you will understand better what the plans are, and the disturbing fact that the boats, divers, science diver program, etc., are only very briefly mentioned, and not at all mentioned in the vague recreational area that is proposed (walking paths seems to be the main thing mentioned.) As to the golf course, I can't tell if they intend to keep it or not. I also thought that hydrilla had been eradicated from the lake, and another invasive plant, also (can't think of which one.) They have plenty of volunteers who would answer a call for eradication of any of the non-native plants that are threatening the native environment, also.

Not so funny is the fact that there was indeed a study regarding undamming the lake- yes, they strongly considered it, but finally decided that the benefits would not outweigh the risks. whew.

Okay, call me a conspiracy theorist, but isn't Spring Lake and the immediate flora and fauna one of the most important bodies of water in Texas, if not the most important? The Edwards Aquifer provides water to about 2 million people- whoever ultimately controls that valuable piece of real estate wields a powerful weapon. Just my 2 cents.

If you are talking about the Walmart on Anderson I'm pretty sure that it's still a go...and that "two bit" neighborhood association worked their butts off and put their money where their mouths were to get the concessions they did get. I live in that "two bit" neighborhood.

No disrespect at all intended here John - I really wasn't talking about the Anderson thing - I was actually thinking about the two bit association down in my neighborhood in South Austin that stopped the south Wal-Mart - and my actual intent was a bit of sarcasm. As it turns out - they didn't use much of their own money - an organization backed by HEB (oddly enough - the same HEB that was planning on opening the center in Circle C) funded the whole thing. Sorry for not being clearer on that - you know how us South Austin folks think the world ends at the river.

This was a lame attempt at pointing out that the little guy - of course paired up with powerful behind the scenes interests - can have an impact on which big overpowering corporate plan actually wins. And I do have an appreciation for what this takes. Back in my NY days, I worked with another two bit neighborhood association (detecting a pattern here? My opinion of most neighborhood associations is not very high) to stop a bypass that was going to cut our neighborhood in half. It was hard work, no fun at all and we spent most of our time managing little competing fiefdoms of narrow NIMBY minded sub groups instead of dealing with the actual issues at hand. In the end we stopped it, but I decided I never wanted to do that again.

With the Springs it would seem prudent if we at least talked to Ron and the people down there about what we could do to help.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom