Aquarena Center demolition scheduled!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Aquarena education program seeks new location | University Star

Aquarena education program seeks new locationPosted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 at 11:28 am | By Teresa Wilburn
News Aquarena Center education services reconstruction
The demolition of the Aquarena Center is approaching, and the educational program that has made an impact on environmental excursions in Texas is forced to find a new venue.

The visitor’s center and surrounding buildings, the site of instructional nature classes, will be torn down, said Sonja Mlenar, coordinator of instructional programs at Aquarena.

More than 30,000 scheduled field trips take place every year at the center, and 60,000 individuals not related to the program will come visit the site, said Ron Coley, director of the Aquarena Center.

“We deal with visitors all the way from pre-K to elders,” Coley said. “We provide that educational experience by starting with a staff of about 50 undergraduates being managed, instructed and led by graduate students. Our educational mission starts with teaching those kids, the undergraduate students, how to interpret this natural resource.”

Students are not the only guests who benefit from learning about the natural springs. Coley said Aquarena provides continuing education for teachers and elders, about 10,000 individuals annually, who want to learn more.

An adequate site must be found to house the next visitor’s center. The facility which will house the educational program is unknown.

It is not guaranteed the university will be able to provide a facility to support the program, said Coley.

Coley said the goal is to host programs that will be adaptable to the not-yet designated facility.

“It is going to create some interesting challenges,” he said. “We might work out of tents, but the boats will not go away. The abundance of wildlife will not go away. The people wanting to learn will not go away. But where we will pick up our mail and where we hang up our coats will be a challenge. At this point, there will need to be a temporary plan or temporary solution so we can resolve those questions.”

The next step will be to figure out how to operate the environmental educational programs once demolition is done, said Andrew Sansom, executive director of the River Systems Institute.

“I do not think we can fully predict what happens during construction,” he said. “I would like to devise a way to keep the environmental education program going strong.”

Mlenar has worked for the center for the past three years. She said the plan for the center is to keep going, but they will need a place to organize and make tour schedules.

“Right now it is all up in the air,” Mlenar said. “I think it is definitely going to be different. They are not going to have indoor space and that is one of my concerns. If it rains, the kids will not have a place to eat lunch or do activities. All of the buildings that we use for that are going to be demolished.”

Mlenar said the reconstruction of Aquarena will affect the people who work there more than the future visitors.

“I am assuming that all outdoor activities, including the boardwalk and the aquarium, will still exist,” she said.

The future in field trips may look gloomy for students wanting to visit post-demolition, but Coley is confident the educational programs will continue to succeed.

“I am not very worried about it,” Coley said. “We live in a very interesting time. There is no guarantee that this program will continue.”

Coley said he is concerned with the people who work at the center.

“We all have a different concern,” he said. “My position is that as long as the people we have here are knowledgeable and enthusiastic, we are going to provide an outstanding experience for our visitors.”

Published in University Star, October 29, 2008, Volume 98, No. 27

...that's a wierd story...not very well written, so I can't make much sense of it...it sounds like it will be bulldozed down...the university may or may not abandon the site...and the site will be rebuilt by some unknown/unnamed entity...and no timelines for the demolition or reconstruction are provided...nor any information on the logic/entity behind the demolition.

Wow. I knew they were planning on removing some of the theme park structures, but after reading Foo's post I dug a bit further and found this link : Integrated Detailed Project Report and Environmental Assessment Spring Lake Section 206 Aquatic Ecosystem Restoration Project

There's a lot more to this than just removing a structure or two. It's a massive demolition effort including all underwater man-made objects, the parking lot and the vast majority of existing land structures.

<<<<<<<"I am not very worried about it, Coley said. We live in a very interesting time. There is no guarantee that this program will continue.">>>>>

Scratching my head here. It doesn't make sense.

<<<<<<<"I am not very worried about it, Coley said. We live in a very interesting time. There is no guarantee that this program will continue.">>>>>

Scratching my head here. It doesn't make sense.

Read that Corps of Engineers report that I posted, it'll make perfect sense. They are returning the area to the way it was in the early 1900's and the area that currently is Aquarena is going to be a park with walking paths. It's a really noble idea except for the fact that there won't be a facility for visitors to learn about the site at and the University hasn't coughed up a viable alternative yet.

I for one say that they demolish the golf course (all those pesticides can't be good for the lake anyway) and put the visitor's center up by the road. :D That'll never happen...

Hello Divers,

I talked with Ethan and Eric today. They said that this has been part of the River Institute planning for the public for 10 years. Permitting and required votes by the University would not have a bulldozer on the property until January 2011.

Ron and staff are trying to keep everything open except the gift shop during the renovation. More to come in the next years planning, approval and necessary permitting.

Science Diving to keep up the underwater habitat is a must, even during construction, and the protection of the endanagered species as required by Federal law all ties to the Science Diver volunteer efforts and program.

If I had written the article it would be a very positive much needed renovation that is way past due. As described earlier .......poorly written...........

The river institute idea of a public park restored to the condition of the habitat with the Native Indian culture is a big enhancement and matches up with the artifacts you can see Science Diving at the site.

I consider the progress of removing the old buildings and structures a very positive move, while we expect some changes in diving protocol during the construction, nothing us TSD's can't handle to adjust too during construction phase, a couple years away.

Thanks for posting, made me do my research. Great group of divers paying attention to change in Texas. Thanks FOO for posting. :D

SO

myFOXaustin.com | Underwater Web Cam at Aquarena Center

Hey Shawn - Thanx so much for doing the legwork. My buddy and I have just decided to enroll in the 11/14-15 course to get our cert. Really looking forward to it...now if I can just find a 5 mil I will be set...

Scuba Toys has 5 mil wetsuits for sale right now, Henderson, really good prices!

Rhonda

Hey Shawn - Thanx so much for doing the legwork. My buddy and I have just decided to enroll in the 11/14-15 course to get our cert. Really looking forward to it...now if I can just find a 5 mil I will be set...

I hope you guys find the springs as rewarding as I and many other Science Divers do. :D

Visibility year round is as you would expect in a spring fed lake. Water temp is a constant 72 degrees all year round. Aquarena Center has the wetland park and aquarium to check out, and gift shop of course.

Just recently they added warm showers over by the training area, making the landing and the training area both accessible with nice HOT showers for the divers after their winter dives.

Have fun in your class and see you diving soon.

SO

myFOXaustin.com | Underwater Web Cam at Aquarena Center

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom