Aquamundo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can look for raymond dy, he's a supplier of dss (deep sea supply) here in the philippines, though i got my rig from tobin in the us.

you can look for raymond dy, he's a supplier of dss (deep sea supply) here in the philippines, though i got my rig from tobin in the us.

i guess the question is, would you recommend aquamundo gear in general, or just some things?
i feel their jacket style BC's are good,
how about their Regs or backplate BCD???

thx, its alot of money to spend, i want good stuff, but don't wanna spend an extra 10k just to have "mares" stuck on the front

I got my 50lb wing from them for my doubles :D I really like the current trend that Aquamundo is heading. If I didn't have jets, I would spring for their Agila fins in a heartbeat! Have a couple of regs, plates, a tank and other odds and ends from them.

Their Q-tec 2 is a donut wing that's a lot more streamlined than my first wing - an EXD 30 lb wing. Less tank wrap, though necessitating a STA.

i guess the question is, would you recommend aquamundo gear in general, or just some things?
i feel their jacket style BC's are good,
how about their Regs or backplate BCD???

thx, its alot of money to spend, i want good stuff, but don't wanna spend an extra 10k just to have "mares" stuck on the front

The big downside to the Aquamundo backplate is it comes with only two drilled holes for mounting. Additional holes can be added later if you have access to a machine shop, drilling through the SS backplate is far from an easy task - the aluminium one isn't much easier either - not recommended using a drill at home! Not been able to adjust the plate and BC mounting height really limits the trim on the plates so I'd avoid the Aquamundo backplate right now.

The wing BC seems a decent product although I've only seen relatively new versions of the single and doubles wing so it would be good to know how the cordura holds up after a longer period.

The bad news is that it is not easy to buy the wing without the BP and vise versa - for this reason I'd recommend getting a local (i.e. better and cheaper!) backplate (several places stock these - Divers Network in QC would be my recommendation) and getting a Dive-Rite 360 Travel wing - This set-up shouldn't cost too much more in than the Aquamundo set-up and will give you more trim options and a great wing.

The Aquamundo regs tend to get pretty good feedback, based on the price anyway. I've not tried them personally but know a few people who have and I've not heard a bad word about them. The QR12 first stage looks ideal for a doubles set-up based on the port/hose positions - the only downside is the DIN connector has a plastic grip as opposed to metal. I'm not a big fan of the Aquamundo second stage 'look', but obviously that has no impact on performance.

For diving in warm water within recreational limits there is not really much difference between a decent mid-range and the top high end regs (except price!) unless you need a ridiculously high flow rate through the reg -i.e. deep panic situation with someone sharing the octopus. Good maintenance and care is often more important than buying the expensive kit!

Hope that helps!

Karl

The big downside to the Aquamundo backplate is it comes with only two drilled holes for mounting. Additional holes can be added later if you have access to a machine shop, drilling through the SS backplate is far from an easy task - the aluminium one isn't much easier either - not recommended using a drill at home! Not been able to adjust the plate and BC mounting height really limits the trim on the plates so I'd avoid the Aquamundo backplate right now.

The wing BC seems a decent product although I've only seen relatively new versions of the single and doubles wing so it would be good to know how the cordura holds up after a longer period.

The bad news is that it is not easy to buy the wing without the BP and vise versa - for this reason I'd recommend getting a local (i.e. better and cheaper!) backplate (several places stock these - Divers Network in QC would be my recommendation) and getting a Dive-Rite 360 Travel wing - This set-up shouldn't cost too much more in than the Aquamundo set-up and will give you more trim options and a great wing.

The Aquamundo regs tend to get pretty good feedback, based on the price anyway. I've not tried them personally but know a few people who have and I've not heard a bad word about them. The QR12 first stage looks ideal for a doubles set-up based on the port/hose positions - the only downside is the DIN connector has a plastic grip as opposed to metal. I'm not a big fan of the Aquamundo second stage 'look', but obviously that has no impact on performance.

Hope that helps!

Karl

The SS back plate I purchased from them wasn't just 2 holes - it was the type with 3 holes at the top, and with a slot on the bottom to accommodate various sized wings...
Then on the periphery, there are a lot of other holes which you can use to either mount your pad, ot via bungees mount your other things like a SMB or lift bag.

It IS possible to purchase just the plate. Or just the wing. Or just one of the accessories. I've done that, all you've got to do is ask. The folks at Aquamundo are very accommodating. I haven't purchased the accessories that are available such as shoulder pads or backplate pad because, well... their accessories :D

The material of the wing feels a lot more durable than my EXD wing. A relatively recent purchase, I have yet to put it to the test.

I'm using a QR5 diaphragm reg. I got it to match my SEACsub Sorius. Its the same OEM as the OMS R250, IST R50 etc. It breathes beautifully. They also sell spare parts for the regs, so service (self-service or otherwise) is not an issue.

One really great thing I like about aquamundo is that they do their hydrotests in-house. They have it in their JP Rizal branch (Robelle Mansion).

Bottom line is, Aquamundo is one of the 3 shops in Metro Manila that I wouldn't mind making major purchases. The other 2 shops would be Nautilus (and their practically neighbors!) and Pacifica in Alabang.

Been meaning to give an update a while back, but finally getting around to it :)

I've been diving with my Aquamundo BP/W for over 6 months now, on all sorts of dives (deep, wrecks, photography, cleanup) and all in all I must say I'm very happy with my purchase and hope to go on many more dives in the future with my current set up. Since it's my very first BP/W type BC, I don't have any frame of reference regarding the other brands out there, but I don't really need anything else/more. I do love the general feeling of freedom and "oneness" with your gear that a BP/W provides. Initially I was afraid that the lack of a lumbar pad between my back and the backplate would be painful since the wing nuts are exposed, but that wasn't true at all, even when diving without wetsuit.

Since purchasing my Q-TEC BP/W, I've expanded my gear collection with even more Aquamundo products: Their Ventec 2 fins, and Nero mask. This was a switch from my Aqualung Blade 2 Flex fins and ScubaPro Crystal Vu mask, and in both cases an improvement. The fins look heavy and are indeed very robust, but when you pick them up you'll be surprised at how light they actually are. They work well in medium to strong currents - well in any case better than a pair of flexible fins like the Blade 2. The mask was also a welcome addititon, it has quite a low volume (which as a downside means the field of vision isn't as great as some other masks) so equalizing happens less often and clearing the mask is easier. Also I have a rather narrow face so it was a challenge to find a mask that suits my head and doesn't leak around the skirt. The skirt is soft silicone which is indeed quite comforable, however it is so soft that after 40 mins of diving you will start to feel the hard plastic part of the mask frame pressing against your face, making it sore. Well, at least that was my experience so far. Next time I will try to loosen the strap a bit to see if that problem goes away. But aside from that, a great buy.

I'm fully enthusiastic about recommending Aquamundo to anyone else. I must say I've become a tad envious upon seeing their Q-TEC II BP/W that's out now, which incorporates a few additions and improvements, such as a lumbar pad (but like I said I'm not really missing one) and a donut-style bladder instead of a horseshoe. I find myself unable to purge at times using the purge valve at the bottom due to the nature of air getting trapped on the "wrong" side of the horseshoe bladder, forcing me to reach for my inflator hose's purge button. Not a huge deal, just a mild annoyance that I've learned to live with. The donut shape will almost certainly eliminate this problem totally. Still I do love my version 1 for its simplicity :)

Oh like Karl H mentioned, the BP isn't the most versatile, in fact it cannot be used for anything else than a single tank setup, but that's all I'm after. Some purists might take issue with Aquamundo using the work "Tec" for a BP that can't use 2 tanks, but I'm not such a purist :D

Oh and the staff there and the owner Ralph are all very friendly and helpful, that goes a long way in my book :D

Been meaning to give an update a while back, but finally getting around to it :)

---

Oh and the staff there and the owner Ralph are all very friendly and helpful, that goes a long way in my book :D

Good for you! :D Ralph and the rest of the staff are indeed very helpful. He was saying that one way to distinguish himself from the rest of the shops is by his aftersales service, and I believe that they provide great service :D

Check out their Agila fins :D They're like jets - and half the cost of the Ventec fins!

Aquamundo is also the official distributor of the GoPro camera. Nice to have HD recording capability in such a small compact package.

Regarding the Qtec I, a nice feature is the roll control ribs in the center. Regarding dumping from the rear valve, check out Tobin's (of DSS - he's coolhardware52 on SB) take on the amount of gas that can actually be vented from horseshoe vs donout wings (caveat is of course all my wings are donuts). I don't quite see how you can say that their BP can't be used for twins though. I'm using one of their plates for my twins right now.

I don't quite see how you can say that their BP can't be used for twins though. I'm using one of their plates for my twins right now.

Are you using the first generation BP? The one that doesn't require an STA? Cause that's the one that I have, and I'm assuming since there is no need for an STA it's therefore not able to handle 2 tanks. At least I don't see how, but then again I'm not a tech diver by any stretch of the imagination..

The SS back plate I purchased from them wasn't just 2 holes - it was the type with 3 holes at the top, and with a slot on the bottom to accommodate various sized wings...

Maybe the line has changed, all the plates I have seen, including one purchased in the past few weeks, were with only the two holes - could be old stock going cheap though :)

Historically the wing could not be bought without a backplate, although the backplate could always be bought without a wing. It sounds like this has changed for the better now and should do wonders for sales figures - particularly with the newer donut singles wing been a lot cheaper than other similar models.

It's good to hear the BP trim issue has been address - has the same been done for the wings or are they still using only two holes for trim? This one is a lot easier to fix than the holes in the SS plate though :)

Are you using the first generation BP? The one that doesn't require an STA? Cause that's the one that I have, and I'm assuming since there is no need for an STA it's therefore not able to handle 2 tanks. At least I don't see how, but then again I'm not a tech diver by any stretch of the imagination..

Normally the single tank adaptor is not needed if slots are provided in the BP profile to allow tank bands to be inserted. The adaptor gives a more secure grip on the tank and also adds a little bit more weight to the BP which is normally a good thing for single tank diving :)

Twin tanks are mounted directly to the BP using threaded rod connectors between the the twin tank bands and the BP itself with the wing nuts - pretty much the same connection to the BP as the single tank adaptor to the BP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom