Aqualung Slingshot Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried them at my local LDS, and I have to admit that I was really quite skeptical about the "gimmicky" nature of these fins, but after trying them for a little while, I felt like they might have some real potential. Interesting to hear that others have felt the same :)

To the Mistral, next time make it the Mentor or a Royal Aqua Master II, the "new" Mistral was the Pontiac Aztec (voted in many auto magazines as the world's ugliest car) of the doublehose world, designed by a commitee for a market that did not exist from the left over parts bin.

As a long time, life long AL customer, the fins, well, I love that new Micra regulator and I just got a new Titan LX for me and last year a Legend for my wife and that new Micro Mask looks super and I will get one as soon as possible but these fins with the "real gear shift" I am not so sure about. But at least it is kinda fresh thinking. Howabout loosing the Transformer wild graphics, include hard, medium and soft power bands that can be exhanged (color coded) and then add a locking lever for those people who can kick the fins without the aid of the rubber bands, in other worrds be able to reach down and twist a lock lever that would lock the fin in it's best position for swimming hard and fast or bucking a current or for frog kicking etc. For leisurely cruising then reach down and unlock the fins for comfort and ease. Just a thought. Oh, what happens when sand get's in that hinge joint?

N

N

I'm glad to hear you're a supporter of our regulators, especially the Micra. You'll be happy to know we'll be introducing the new replacement to the Micra in just a few weeks. The all new Mikron is even sweeter than its predecessor. A lighter second stage than the Micra, and an all new light weight first stage to boot.

As far as the sand in the hinge joint...the hinge is easily accessible if by any chance there's build up. Having dived it extensively here in Monterey, CA , I've yet to experience any problems. The 3 position bands are also locked in a way that locks forward so it cant accidentally move out of position after setting it. Regardless, I've forwarded your feedback. I hope you do have a chance to try them out. Happy Holidays!

DR

N

I'm glad to hear you're a supporter of our regulators, especially the Micra. You'll be happy to know we'll be introducing the new replacement to the Micra in just a few weeks. The all new Mikron is even sweeter than its predecessor. A lighter second stage than the Micra, and an all new light weight first stage to boot.

As far as the sand in the hinge joint...the hinge is easily accessible if by any chance there's build up. Having dived it extensively here in Monterey, CA , I've yet to experience any problems. The 3 position bands are also locked in a way that locks forward so it cant accidentally move out of position after setting it. Regardless, I've forwarded your feedback. I hope you do have a chance to try them out. Happy Holidays!

DR

Thank you for your thoughts. My comments were meant as constructive. I do hope to try the new fins this summer coming. First I got to get that new Micro Mask--love that. Good news on the regulators also, sounds great. I do like this Titan LX and it is the first stage I like so much due to it's simplicity and ease of parts sourcing and good performance. Just another thought, for rugged diving, howabout a Titan-anium, get it?, a titanium second stage Titan XL. :D Well, anyways, thanks for listening and good luck with your new products. BTW, bought my first AL product in 1966, a Calypso J. Still have it. Merry Christmas.

N

Jim,

Sounds like you gave the fin an excellent trial. I thank you for sharing your feedback with everyone. You hit it right on the money when you say that you have to relearn. The fin is different than that of what most of us are using currently. To dismiss it without giving it some time is doing it and yourself a disservice, this is the first time we've ever had a fin help kick for us.

Is it for everyone? Maybe not. But neither is any fin on the market today. It's easy to come up with an opinion for a typical paddle fin, you either like it or you don't. However the mechanics of this fin are unlike anything ever invented and can take some time to get a better feel for them especially for a non-newbie like yourself.

I do appreciate the manner in which you shared your thoughts, you obviously gave it an excellent trial. Thank you and good luck with future trials.

Dan Rodarte
Aqua Lung Regional Manager
Nor Cal, Pacific Northwest

I just bought a pair of the slingshots. i was looking for a "back-up" pair of fins for an up comming channel islands trip next week. After trying them in the pool today i will say, I WAS IMPRESSED!!!!!!!!!!! The second i got in the pool i noticed how easy they were on my ankles( i blew one up a couple of years ago). i took my mares quatros, and my xl jet fins with me just for compairison. Let's make this short and sweet.... more power, easier kicking,great stability,did i say easier on my ankles?,very comfortable foot pockets, cons: I could actually hear the power bands contract, sounded like my heart beat,no big deal, are the power bands availible for replacement?, I put my spring steel straps on them-now i'm really a happy camper. My quatros have just became my back-up fins.

Hi Everyone,
Call me lucky or what! I was thinking of buying a new set of fins, and low and behold, I WON a pair of sling shots at our local dive club meeting. Talk about lucky!
This was the first time I had ever seen the fins up close and in person. My friends thought they were "another bucket of gimmicks" that weren't worth 50 cents, let alone $200 +. I have to admit, if I haden't won them, I would have had a hard time choking down the price.
I tried them in the pool a week later, and guess what - they are great! Abman pretty well sums up my experience. I tried them with single and dual tanks, plus a wide variety of kicks - flutter, frog, dolphin, ankle and back kick. I also did sprints, sudden turns and sculling. They performed great in all of them. They do indeed take some getting used to, especially with the snap of the bands, but once you get past that, they are great. I can't wait for the ice to thaw so I can take them in our local river and really give them a work out. The only change I made on them is adding spring straps. This is SOP for our dive rescue team. Question for Dan R. - Is Aqua Lung going to come out with a high vis yellow pair? In the limited vis conditions we often dive in, it can be a life saver.
Thanks for a great new product.
George

Hi Everyone,
Call me lucky or what! I was thinking of buying a new set of fins, and low and behold, I WON a pair of sling shots at our local dive club meeting. Talk about lucky!
This was the first time I had ever seen the fins up close and in person. My friends thought they were "another bucket of gimmicks" that weren't worth 50 cents, let alone $200 +. I have to admit, if I haden't won them, I would have had a hard time choking down the price.
I tried them in the pool a week later, and guess what - they are great! Abman pretty well sums up my experience. I tried them with single and dual tanks, plus a wide variety of kicks - flutter, frog, dolphin, ankle and back kick. I also did sprints, sudden turns and sculling. They performed great in all of them. They do indeed take some getting used to, especially with the snap of the bands, but once you get past that, they are great. I can't wait for the ice to thaw so I can take them in our local river and really give them a work out. The only change I made on them is adding spring straps. This is SOP for our dive rescue team. Question for Dan R. - Is Aqua Lung going to come out with a high vis yellow pair? In the limited vis conditions we often dive in, it can be a life saver.
George

Mr. Lucky,

Congratulations on your new pair of fins. I'm very pleased to hear that you're enjoying them as much as others. The topic of high-vis yellow has come up at DEMA. I can't say for sure if it's in the immediate future; right now we're trying to fill the current number of orders we have. Since we have the high-vis color in the Blade II Flex, I can only hope that we might see it as an additional color down the road. I'll definitely pass along your feedback. No promises!:wink:

For those interested in trying these and other new products out on the west coast; we'll be doing a demo day this Saturday at Nautilus Aquatics in Concord, CA. Click for details.

Best wishes!

Dan Rodarte

I am glad to see an Aqua Lung rep in this public message boards. Welcome to ScubaBoard.

My only comment is that with a unique product like this maybe it should come from Aqua Lung to supply (or assist) the dealers with plenty of demos and perhaps plenty of scheduled demo days. Maybe you are already doing it, I don’t know, haven’t heard about it.

Luis,

I mentioned a little while back that we would start doing some demo days with the Slingshot fins and other Aqua Lung products; well we're doing one this Saturday at Nautilus Aquatics in Concord, CA here are the details. I hope to see some of you there!

Dan Rodarte

I happened to win a part of Slingshots -- tried them today, first dive of the season at a local quarry.

to be honest, I was disappointed -- my legs cramped up something bad.

I went back to my twin jets for my other two dives today -- no cramping.

I'll try the slingshots again later in the year ... maybe as the water warms up, they'll be easier to use.

Hi Everyone,
George
Which spring straps did you use on the Sling Shots?

I tried them a couple of months ago at Devil's Den, and fell in love. Absolutely wonderful fins, and I couldn't wait to get my own. The wait is over, but I was disappointed that I couldn't reuse my spring straps from my Tusa fins on the Slingshots. The clips on the Slingshots are smaller, and I wasn't able to trade the clips due to lug size.

So, I need a new pair of spring straps, but I want to make sure I get the right size! Any advice/websites/brands?

Thanks
Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom