Aqualung Slingshot Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdf

Contributor
Reaction score
Just tried out the new Aqualung Slingshot fins yesterday and thought I'd write my thoughts. I admit I was very skeptical when I first saw them. They look like a fin for the gadget lover.

If you are not familiar with the Slingshot, they are a paddle fin that has adjustments for 3 different flexiblity settings. I tried them on the #2 setting. FYI, I am a 50 yr old woman, 5'4", 150 lbs in reasonable but not 'rock' shape (sigh). I usually dive with my X-scooter half of the time and am a pedestrian the other half so my leg strength could be much better.

I found the Slingshots very powerful and did some pivot turns, backward kicks and straight out power kicks. They performed very well in each of these and since I am not very good yet at backward kicks, I was very surprised that the 2 times I tried to do them, I actually did! Usually, I can do decent backward kicks 2 out of 5 times.

After a few speed sprints, I started to get a little crapping in my calf and thought that if I used them again, I would try them on the #1 setting. I think #3 would be too stiff for me but advantagous to the very strong swimmer. They say that you can adjust the setting in the water, but I did not try it since I was diving in 53 degree water and had 6mm gloves--too much work.

The only thing I really did not like about them was the snap of the power bands with each kick, but I'm sure this is something I could get used to.

Overall, I found them comparable to the Mares Avanti Quattros which I normally use, maybe a bit more powerful, but would find the over $200 price tag a bit hard to swallow. The 3 different adjustments will give them have a more diverse market.

Alas, we left the camera at home so I'm sorry I don't have any photos, but you can see what they look like on the Aqualung website.

Thanks!
Janet

More information: Gave them to an instructor to try out today. He said that he had a hard time doing frog kicks-- 'kinda weird' was his response. He changed the settings in the water several times and even put one in #1 and the other in #3 positions. He said changing the position of the power bands was easy in the water. He also didn't like the snap of the power bands. His opinion was kind of neutral and said that the adjustments would be good for people that want to get into shape-start out at 1 and work your way up as you get stronger. Also the price tag would keep him from buying them and would seriously consider them if they were priced down in the $125 range. He also normally uses the Quattros.

Janet

Greetings all, I'm new to this forum but was very curious as to what was being said about our new Slingshot fin. I agree with the comment from Janet and that of her instructor friend that the power bands feel kind of "weird." It reminds me of the time when I switched from my Rocket fins from the seventies to Composites in the 80's, to Split Fins in the 90's. Unlike a traditional blade or paddle fin, the Sling shot utilizes nearly all the blades surface for maximum and effective power. The majority of the fins used today use a very small "working-surface" to generate power in the downward power cycle. Because of the mid-foot pivot point found in the Aqua Lung Slingshot fin, you get maximum usage of the blade surface. While you're kicking down the blade and diver's legs are stretching the power bands to store the energy of your efforts in order to reclaim the power in the upstroke. This is where that "weird" feeling is coming from. Up until now you've never felt a fin kick for you. That’s the beauty of the power band technology.

I'm glad to see and hear that there are people out there who are trying these out objectively and reporting back with their honest opinions. It may not be for everyone, but you won't know until you try. See if your local Aqua Lung dealer has a demo pair for you to try out.

Cheers!

Dan Rodarte
Aqua Lung Regional Manager

Greetings all, I'm new to this forum but was very curious as to what was being said about our new Slingshot fin. I agree with the comment from Janet and that of her instructor friend that the power bands feel kind of "weird." It reminds me of the time when I switched from my Rocket fins from the seventies to Composites in the 80's, to Split Fins in the 90's. Unlike a traditional blade or paddle fin, the Sling shot utilizes nearly all the blades surface for maximum and effective power. The majority of the fins used today use a very small "working-surface" to generate power in the downward power cycle. Because of the mid-foot pivot point found in the Aqua Lung Slingshot fin, you get maximum usage of the blade surface. While you're kicking down the blade and diver's legs are stretching the power bands to store the energy of your efforts in order to reclaim the power in the upstroke. This is where that "weird" feeling is coming from. Up until now you've never felt a fin kick for you. That’s the beauty of the power band technology.

I'm glad to see and hear that there are people out there who are trying these out objectively and reporting back with their honest opinions. It may not be for everyone, but you won't know until you try. See if your local Aqua Lung dealer has a demo pair for you to try out.

Cheers!

Dan Rodarte

I am glad to see an Aqua Lung rep in this public message boards. Welcome to ScubaBoard.

My only comment is that with a unique product like this maybe it should come from Aqua Lung to supply (or assist) the dealers with plenty of demos and perhaps plenty of scheduled demo days. Maybe you are already doing it, I don’t know, haven’t heard about it.

I feel that Aqua Lung drop the ball with another recent unique product, the new Mistral. There should have been demos, more customer and dealer education, and over all better introduction of a product that is unique by today’s standards.

My point is I don’t know if this product is any good or not, but I may never find out if it is not well marketed and readily available for demos. Some unique products will sell themselves (the Scubapro Jet fins did) other will need much bigger effort for public acceptance. If they are any good or not, at first is often irrelevant. In the long run the bad ones mill collapse, but some good products may never have a chance.

Just my $0.02

I am glad to see an Aqua Lung rep in this public message boards. Welcome to ScubaBoard.

My only comment is that with a unique product like this maybe it should come from Aqua Lung to supply (or assist) the dealers with plenty of demos and perhaps plenty of scheduled demo days. Maybe you are already doing it, I don’t know, haven’t heard about it.

I feel that Aqua Lung drop the ball with another recent unique product, the new Mistral. There should have been demos, more customer and dealer education, and over all better introduction of a product that is unique by today’s standards.

My point is I don’t know if this product is any good or not, but I may never find out if it is not well marketed and readily available for demos. Some unique products will sell themselves (the Scubapro Jet fins did) other will need much bigger effort for public acceptance. If they are any good or not, at first is often irrelevant. In the long run the bad ones mill collapse, but some good products may never have a chance.

Just my $0.02

Thanks Luis for the welcome. I agree, we did drop the ball with the Mistral. That being said, I do want everyone to know that I do intend to hold demos in Sacramento, Concord, San Carlos and Santa Clara very soon. I also would like to schedule a few demo days in Monterey. I'll keep you all posted as to the dates shortly. In the meantime, their are quite a few dealers in the Bay Area and Northwest that have demo pairs available. Just call to see if you have a participating dealer near you.

Dan Rodarte
Nor Cal, Pacific Northwest

Thanks Dan for the explanation of the mechanics of the fin. I just tried a pair on in the pool this weekend. It just happened that a lot of my dive buddies were in the pool practicing some skills. We all use the Scubapro Jetfin and we were all diving with twin tanks. We all felt the "weird" snap of the power bands. If this bands were supposed to help me with my swimming I did not notice it as much because I was too intuned to how I felt when using them.

I swam around the pool for 30 minutes just getting used to the fin. I tried different storkes: flutter, modified flutter, Split fin flutter kick (shorter and a quicker cadence)frog kick, modified frog kick, backwards and helicopter kicks. Except for the Flutter kick, it felt really strange when I tried to swim doing the other kicks.

I got out of the poll and studied the mechanics of the fin. I adjusted my expectations and started swimming my kicks. They all improved exceptg for the helipcoter kick. I am to used to using the weight and the stiffness of the jetfin tgo whirl me around. We (2 of my other buddies) all agreed it would take a little bit of time getting used to the fin from an "old timer" point of view. For a new diver I won't know till I have a couple of my students try it out.

Like anything new, you have to get used to the new equipment. From no bc-Horse collar-Stab jacket-ADV- BP/wing, a lot of us had to adjust to new equipment and relearn how to dive with them.

For somebody who has been around, I used to see products on Sport Diver and Skin Diver magazines before the product was even available to the dealers. So I won't complain about not being able to test equipment.

Jim

Jim,

Sounds like you gave the fin an excellent trial. I thank you for sharing your feedback with everyone. You hit it right on the money when you say that you have to relearn. The fin is different than that of what most of us are using currently. To dismiss it without giving it some time is doing it and yourself a disservice, this is the first time we've ever had a fin help kick for us.

Is it for everyone? Maybe not. But neither is any fin on the market today. It's easy to come up with an opinion for a typical paddle fin, you either like it or you don't. However the mechanics of this fin are unlike anything ever invented and can take some time to get a better feel for them especially for a non-newbie like yourself.

I do appreciate the manner in which you shared your thoughts, you obviously gave it an excellent trial. Thank you and good luck with future trials.

Dan Rodarte
Nor Cal, Pacific Northwest

Man! You guys are really ticking me off! I just got a pair and I'm just itching to try them out. These things just fascinate the heck out of me... :D

With the work schedule, the weather and the ocean conditions in Southern California the past week plus, I can't get in the water with them! And I don't think my buddy's back yard pool will be enough to do them justice...:shakehead:

Argh...

Ian

To the Mistral, next time make it the Mentor or a Royal Aqua Master II, the "new" Mistral was the Pontiac Aztec (voted in many auto magazines as the world's ugliest car) of the doublehose world, designed by a commitee for a market that did not exist from the left over parts bin.

As a long time, life long AL customer, the fins, well, I love that new Micra regulator and I just got a new Titan LX for me and last year a Legend for my wife and that new Micro Mask looks super and I will get one as soon as possible but these fins with the "real gear shift" I am not so sure about. But at least it is kinda fresh thinking. Howabout loosing the Transformer wild graphics, include hard, medium and soft power bands that can be exhanged (color coded) and then add a locking lever for those people who can kick the fins without the aid of the rubber bands, in other worrds be able to reach down and twist a lock lever that would lock the fin in it's best position for swimming hard and fast or bucking a current or for frog kicking etc. For leisurely cruising then reach down and unlock the fins for comfort and ease. Just a thought. Oh, what happens when sand get's in that hinge joint?

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom