Aqualung Slingshot Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, Innovative is probably making them. There are two types of posts, large and small. Leisurepro may have the complete kits including plastic snap buckles if that is what you prefer. The "correct size" is another issue. Careful with that one, measure exactly as directed. Since you already have a set of springs it should be easier to specify the new set.

The fins are good enough, I suppose. Although I feel they are grossly over-priced. I would have been very satisfied if I had payed $140 for them, but to me $200 is just way to much. For the price, i would kind of expect something like a mini dpv at the end of my fins or something... Although I do like being able to adjust the fins. Its a nice performance and astetic touch to the fins. Mut more so then anything, it really does just come down to performance and comfort.

Performance wise, they are relatively fast and convenient for catching up to your partner if you lag behind a little bit. It doesn't take to many kicks to get where you are going so it ads to the comfort factor that when your drifting under water you dont have to work too hard. You can put in a series of slow continuous kicks and then rest. Also, it appeared that the fins would kick up less sand compared to everybody else, though I could be dillusional, but if anybody noticed anything similar it'd be nice to know.

In regaurds to weaknesses, they are not the best fins for surface swimming, imo. I feel like they dont make as good as contact when your on the surface. So in currents you still end up working a lot. My ankles began to ache after about 15-20 minutes of free diving while I was trying to avoid reefs or have waves that could potentially slam me into the rocks (and sea urchins!). Although once I ducked or dove down into the water, the fins provided me with more then enough power to push myself away from trouble. It also takes slightly less effort to swim down into the water if you're wearing a boyant wetsuit with no weights. And in regaurds to frog kicks, i did not think they were that effective with these fins, though it could just require a modified technique....

Overall good fins. I would enjoy them a lot more if they were priced differently. Maybe you can pick them up in a couple of years after the price drops a bit. But for now Im sure you can find fins that are equally as good for less.

Also note I suspect some of my issues with the fins could go away as I use them more since Im still new to diving. Although i've put in a decent numbers of hours free diving with them (about 14-16 hours) with only about 80 minutes of use in an OWD and and maybe 4 - 5 hours in all day pool diving instruction. But I guess i will report any noticable changes through out my uses.

I have yet to try or purchase these, but am looking into it. A concern I personally have is, will AquaLung have replacment bands years down the road if they were ever to break or stretch somehow? I have to also wonder, what is the likelyhood of them breaking? Maybe not much, so long as the fin is cared for...but, for $200-$250 for a pair (in my area), I would like the assurance that Im taken care of by the company I bought from.

I sold a few pairs of Slingshots at the LDS where I was working this last summer. Most people needed a few days to get used to them but after two/three dives were happy with their purchase. On this side of the pond they are very expensive: same amount as in $ but with a Euro sign in front!

We have had a band break at the pin. The diver got it caught in kelp while scootering. You can get replacements bands easily from Aqualung. Still a great fin
janet

Has anyone used both the slingshots and the Mares Power Volos? I'm a new cold water diver, trying to decide if one of these is worth the higher price tag or whether I should go for the cheaper Tusa Tri Ex.

I'm the proud owner of a pair of slingshots and a brand new diver. When we were getting outfitted for classes I told my LDS that I had a bum ankle and they suggested them. Because I have nothing else to compare them to I can't say that they are better than my other ones, but what I can say is that with severe tendonitis in my ankle that even walking will aggravate after multiple dives my ankle didn't bother. The price was a bit much, but I can live with it. The only down side is that I have to be careful not to son behind.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and would like to say hello to everyone.
I just bought a pair of these as my Quattro were not big enough for my newly bought SeaSkin drysuit. So I went yesterday to the pool before going to the VERY EXTREMELY cold lake this WE... Just to make sure the suit was indeed DRY. I then took the opportunity and the time to try those newly bought Aqualung Slingshot... I have tried many fins but have to say that these ones feel the most soft - although powerful even in position 1... -
Though I agree with the strange "kick-back" feeling... Not a bother in itself...
Where we usually dive is VERY cold, no visibility and bottom is like mud-puff; which means one wrong move and you are sure to either loose your buddy or even end up not being able to see the tip of your hand!!! So frog kick for us is the word go in terms of finning technic, which these Aqualung Slingshot seem to do very well.
Little tip though for a perfect - that is only my opinion... - frog kick:
Have the inside elastic on 1 and outside on 2 or 3; this gives a better propulsion when in frog kick mode...

Great fins I personally own the blue pair, Leisure pro has them for $129 or $149 I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom