Aqualung Conshelf VI and vintage rig questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a newer Conshelf XIV. It has 3 lp and 1 hp port. All the same size. On it, there is a small HP stamped into the metal next to the high pressure port. I had to get an adapter for my SPG hose.

My conshelf VI first stage has one port with a "D" stamped on it, and one port with nothing...

I'm guessing that the D is for "Depth gauge?" This is making me feel like the first time I took a girl to third base, I'm like all thumbs here...:wink:

It should be marked, but if it is not you can tell by the size of the hole inside the port. The LP port will have a much larger hole inside and will be able to see the pin that goes from the diaphragm to the seat.

The HP port should only have a very small hole. When you open both and look inside at one against the other it should be obvious which one is which.

Below is a diagram of the newer Conshelf, which may help.

I can post (or email you) the actual diagram for the Conshelf VI later.

Edit:
I am not sure what a “D” would be for, but it would not be for depth gauge.

Conshelf.jpg

They did make a red white & blue jet fin. But I think that was only 1976 for the bi-centennial. If you watch, they are occasionally on e-bay. I think they are more of a collectors item.

I seem to think the red, white & blue fins were not Jets but US Divers Rocket fins. Same era and look basically the same. They also made other gear in red, white & blue like a knife and snorkel as I recall. Maybe related to the bicentennial perhaps ?

It should be marked, but if it is not you can tell by the size of the hole inside the port. The LP port will have a much larger hole inside and will be able to see the pin that goes from the diaphragm to the seat.

The HP port should only have a very small hole. When you open both and look inside at one against the other it should be obvious which one is which.

Below is a diagram of the newer Conshelf, which may help.

I can post (or email you) the actual diagram for the Conshelf VI later.

Edit:
I am not sure what a “D” would be for, but it would not be for depth gauge.

Luis,

Thanks a lot man. My low pressure port (the one I can see the pin through) is the one that has the "D" die stamped into it. You were right, the other one does have a tiny hole in it. Well that settles it then. My reg looks immaculate, so I was just going to have the LDS make sure the IP is set correctly. Is this done similarly to a more modern single hose reg?

S

Guys,

If I used a plastic buckle for my backpack harness, would that be inaccurate? I'm not trying to split hairs, but I want it to look like it used to. Many of the backpacks I have seen have a steel tank band and steel waist buckle, though I have seen some with a nylon tank cam band and a plastic buckle. Was it done both ways back then or only one?

TIA

S

I would say metal buckles and bands were pretty much the standard.

I would say metal buckles and bands were pretty much the standard.

Do you happen to know a good spot to find the metal tank band for a plastic backpack? I have the harness, backpack, but I need a band that looks like it fits in with the early 70's.

TIA

S

Luis,

Thanks a lot man. My low pressure port (the one I can see the pin through) is the one that has the "D" die stamped into it. You were right, the other one does have a tiny hole in it. Well that settles it then. My reg looks immaculate, so I was just going to have the LDS make sure the IP is set correctly. Is this done similarly to a more modern single hose reg?

S

I kind of suspected that the “D” was on the LP port, but I still not sure what it stood for. Maybe Demand valve, I am just guessing. Does your regulator has two LP ports (including the one for the second stage) or just the second stage port?

Adjusting the IP and servicing the regulator is the same as any Conshelf. The manuals have changed a bit and some of the internal parts have been revised, but it is all backwards compatible. You can run the IP as any modern Conshelf.

The plastic buckle on the back packs is more from the 80’s (maybe very late 70’s, but I don’t think so).

Do you happen to know a good spot to find the metal tank band for a plastic backpack? I have the harness, backpack, but I need a band that looks like it fits in with the early 70's.

TIA

There were many configurations on the bands. Some had cams, some adusted by wing nuts. What brand is yours? If you can't find a name, post a picture of the back side to see what type of band it used.

All,

I happened to stumble across the Vintage Double Hose forum, so I am going to be working in there to finish my vintage equipment project. Thanks for all your help and I'm sure I'll see you there.

S

Back
Top Bottom