Aqualug MK1 US Divers Tank Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I picked up an old Aqualug US Divers tank with some other stuff this spring. I realize this tank is the "bad alloy" but is passed a hydo w/eddy current and a viz+. The tank looks new. My question is, what is the size of this tank. I thought is wal an AL80 but it is only 6.9"D and it looks a little short compared to another AL80 I have.

DOT-SP6498-3000
Y15851
NAVY MK1
AQUALUNG US DIVERS CYLINDER
BOTTOM STAMP A24
HYDRO 3/2011
VIZ+ 3/2011
C=21 7/8" LENGTH 26" D=6.9"
FIRST HYDRO 73

Looking at this chart it seems to be between the Luxfer 50 and 72, probably a 65.

I think it is a 72. It was USD's first venture in to aluminum tanks and they wanted to keep the diameter the same as the steel 72 so the then used backs packs would fit it. This was before the nylon tank band came along and the bands of the time were metal and non adjustable. It is very buoyant, more so than an AL80.

I was thinkong it may be a 76. It is a little taller than my AA65's/72's with the 3000psi rating.

The US Divers Mk-I was the later 3000 psi 72 cu ft tank. It came out about the same time as the US Diver Professional which was the 80 cu ft.
Its buoyancy is much better than the early 2475 psi Al 72, which floated like buoy.

The shop that did the hydro/viz warned me it was a "Floater"

The 3000 psi tank was no where near the floater that the older 2475 was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom