US Divers MK II 1974 Vintage Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterlloyd

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm these are 50 cubic foot , DOT-SP6498-3000

Last Viz and Hydro was 2009

Are they the bad alloy ?

thanks in advance for info , Lloyd
IMG_0537.JPG

I do not know how to post links to other threads but search here for the thread "How to identify a Luxfer 6351 tank". Then go to post 9 for the attachment. Appears that it may be because of the 6498 number in your description.

My spidy senses make me want to see the neck stamps as soon as I see the chevrons.

Bob

Lloyd,
You should be able to tell from the born date. If it is before 1972 or after June, 1988, you are okay. See the text copied from their website. Unfortunately, the Special Permit 6498 is almost certainly the bad 6351 alloy.
See also this website content from PSI:
PSI-PCI - A Brief Scuba Cylinder History

How can I tell if my Luxfer cylinder is made from 6351 alloy?

The easiest way is to check the original hydrostatic test date stamped on the cylinder crown. Luxfer manufactured 6351-alloy cylinders during the following periods:
  • United States: 1972 through mid-1988
  • England: 1958 through 1995
After the above dates, Luxfer began making cylinders from a proprietary 6061 alloy, which is not susceptible to SLC.

At a min, it needs a VIS, and eddy current by a competent inspector. Lots of false positives with EC testing.
If it passes, then it could get hydro'ed by some stations.
If no one will hydro, then you have to decide your level of risk.
But here's a 6351 tank that my buddy asked me to VIS for him. OMG.
20180225_172019.jpg

Classic (and unexpected) SLC (sustained load cracking).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom