Aqua Lung titan lx supreme or ScubaPro MK 17 C300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's 3 High/Low IP tests on MK17's.
All three regs have seen about 20 to 30 dives and are about 1 year old and have never been serviced.

Reg 1......3000psi----131psi IP, 500psi----141psi IP
Reg 2......3000psi----132psi IP, 500psi----142psi IP
Reg 3......3000psi----129psi IP, 500psi----138psi IP

Result......9 to 10 psi difference between full and empty.

---------- Post added April 11th, 2013 at 10:09 AM ----------

.......for S&G I also tested some other diaphragm regs.

3 Apeks DST's ..... 3 psi average rise from full to empty.
3 Mares MR12's ..... 2 psi average.

@fishpie

Thanks a lot for starting publishing your results.

If some more do so I guess we get a picture.

For me this is not about SP bashing, I'm a hardcore fan of SP for decades,but I guess I'm not alone being disappointed about some SP products of the last 10 - 15 years. It seems SP is concentrating more in profit maximizing than trying to get some innovating products on the market.

If I should be right with my observations, maybe that helps that SP is not getting away with producing substandard diaphragm 1st stages (concerning the IP stability).

Even if this should not play a big role practically when diving a balanced 2nd stage, combining one of these two 1st stages (MK11 & MK17) with an unbalanced 2nd stage should make a difference one can feel.

And overall, it would go simply in the wrong direction when a company like SP is not able to bring a product on the market, that at least shows similar qualities like those of their competitors. I'm sure they can do better, but for whatever reason they don't as I see it.

Let's see if the observations of other divers confirm what I saw or if I had just some exceptional MK11 & MK17s on my workbench.

Last edited:
... Even if this should not play a big role practically when diving a balanced 2nd stage, combining one of these two 1st stages (MK11 & MK17) with an unbalanced 2nd stage should make a difference one can feel...

But one can certainly feel the difference in $$$ between these and a lowly MK2, which, according to your tests performs as well or better.

Thanks to both of you for pointing this out.

I answered to a comment of beaverdivers and was not surprised that he did not answer, I did not expect this. Fair enough, why should he keep an issue alive, which might cost him business if some potential customers would follow my argumentation.
I have been U/W in Utah & West Palm Beach. Sorry I missed your answer. I just attended the 4th annual Scubapro Platinum Dealer meeting. I tested the new G260. It is a very nice breathing reg. I did notice a big difference when the venturi was in the dive position. At first, I had it in the predive position and I was not impressed with it. However, the G260 performs excellent when in the dive position. As far as the MK17, please send me a link to your post. I love to test gear. I know that we only had a 6 P.S.I. difference in a MK17 that we just bench checked. I truely believe that the IP difference is not a concern if the MK17 or MK11 are set to spec.

As far as the OP's choice, I feel the MK17/C300 is a good one at a nice price point. I would consider the G260 w/ a MK17 or MK25 if you can afford to spend the money.

Also, the SubGear SG-1000 is an excellent value. It similar to the MK17/S600.

Im looking for a new reg and cant decide between the 2 can anyone give a recommendation on why one is better than another. I dive in whatever conditions but mainly in Ohio with a few trips out to the Caribbean

I don't know about all this scientific mumbo jumbo the other posters are talking about...But I own the Aqualung. It takes a LOT of abuse from me and is a smooth breathing regulator. It was within my price point and I have no desire to switch to anything else. The SP may be just as good...who knows? Kinda like Fords & Chevys as far as I'm concerned.

I always try to buy a quality product from a reputable dealer with as many upgrades as I can afford at the time. I've never been disappointed using that philosophy.

The Titan LX Supreme is almost same-for-same an Apeks XTX50/100/200.

Titan LX Supreme, it is a class above the regulator being compared to by the OP in everything but cost. I too like SP, the Titan LX, new or old version, however, is an exceptionally good regulator, durable, requires little maintenance, is easily serviced and has a pedigree back to the Royal Aqua Master. It is essentially a reconfigured Conshelf with a plastic second stage case. The new first stage is the same innards with a different look, nicely compact though I prefer the older cone shape, if for no other reason than it's Conshelf like appearance. And the overall performance is about as good as it gets.

N

Guess there'll be a whole bunch of MK11/17 on the 'Bay pretty soon... :)
Oh, I forgot to mention it cost 2 bucks to service a MK2, and at least $30 for a MK11/17 kit, if you can find it.

Disclosure: I own 1 MK2 and 1 AL Cousteau I don't use, zero MK11/17.

Back
Top Bottom