Apple Mac Book Pro Question, Should I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on your new purchase, you're gonna love it! If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I switched over in 01 for post production purposes and never looked back. There's a lot of hot keys and such that you can't do on a PC(poke) and will make your life much easier. I'm actually about to buy a new MacBookPro myself, gonna go for the big daddy the newest 17".

Billy

The editing boards are a buzzing with a new Final Cut Studio possibility on everyone's lips. Maybe the announcement will be at NAB, maybe not. An insider with Apple wouldn't even tell me even though I write reviews of Apple related products. Never the less, you might want to hold off on buying Studio 2.

The downside is if a new studio 3 comes out, I will have to get recertified by Apple and that test is a pain in rear.
Steve

Hi Ed,

Have you played with the new toy yet (mac)...oh yeah the cam came today too, right? Let us know how you are getting along with the new Mac!

I recently moved over to Mac too, but the editing software I use (Edius) is PC only.

FYI - Bootcamp is the best way to use your Mac as a Windows machine if you have PC software that you need to use - I tried Parallels too but it ran too slow. Everything runs super fast and stable on Bootcamp, then just switch back to the Mac for everything else.

Enjoy the Mac!

I recently moved over to Mac too, but the editing software I use (Edius) is PC only.

FYI - Bootcamp is the best way to use your Mac as a Windows machine if you have PC software that you need to use - I tried Parallels too but it ran too slow. Everything runs super fast and stable on Bootcamp, then just switch back to the Mac for everything else.

Enjoy the Mac!

Did you perform the "install additional tools"? It's in one of the main drop down menus, it will speed it up significantly.

Billy

I am loving the Macbook Pro. I haven't even gotten into the FCP studio, just yet. I have been just doing iMovie. I can't believe how much user friendly the editing software on Macs is compared to Sony Vegas. And I render the HF-S10 footage in no time.

I am born again, Mac head. Don't get me wrong I am still using my PC desktop just as much. But the Mac everything is so much easier. I am hitting like 4 - 5 hours on one charge, which is great. Yeah the new 17" has 8 hours which would be nice, but I like the smaller format of the 15". Especially for traveling. Took my a little while getting use to the two finer right click thing, but I got it down now. But it has handled everything I have thrown at it. All I need to do now is learn the programs. Just bought a bunch of books to help me with the FCP Studio, which the guy kinda just hooked me up with. But from all the video tutorials I have seen on the apple site, FCP studio is gonna do so much for my post production value.

All I can say is this, if your doing video, music, or sill photo go Mac. I have converted. :cool2:

Actually, the new one with the 8 hour battery has eliminated a firewire port and for editing in the field using an external for media, that is not a good thing. I love my Mac Book and wouldn't want the new one. Plus, I was told that you now have to pay extra if you don't want the glossy screen which sucks in the field.
Steve

Steve, they eliminated the FW400 port, now it's just a FW800 which has more bandwidth. You can get little FW400-800 adapters which work fine. I'm in the process of moving all of my external media in to FW800 enclosures, it'll cost a little but it's what it takes to stay current. Regardless FW800 is obviously much faster then FW400 so all in all it's a good move on their part. Now who wants to buy some FW400 enclosures?

Billy

If I edit in the field I use either the 400 or 800 for my external drive and the other for my cam. Take one away, and you can't do this.
Steve

Like I said you can get a FW400-FW800 adapter and all of those drives should have 2 ports so you could daisy chain drives or use one of the free ports for the cam. I've done it lots of times and it works great for me.

BTW remember the UK Light Cannon I bought from you last year? I attached it to my housing with an Equinox fabricated ball adapter and made my own adapter for one I already had. The equinox one failed and I lost about $500 in parts including the light while mine worked great.

Billy

Back
Top Bottom