Should I buy a GoPro for Raja Ampat LOB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Perhaps if I had a GoPro that was firmly attached to my head so that it saw what I saw then that might be okay. But all I cared about was taking it all in and trying to make sure it was stuck in my memory for all time. ..

@chillyinCanada nailed it. If the camera is attached to your head, a small micro-electrical connection occcurs between the divers brain and camera. I have witnessed this micro-circuit connection in many otherwise outstanding divers. The more spectacular the reef, the stronger connection. Finally, the diver loses all spatial, temporal, and situation control and the camera is in firm control. I watch this with amazement. So, I am with @bill4tsf on the GoPro topic.

That said, my wife (a professional photographer) was interested in purchasing a new GpPro and attaching it to small and adjustable stick. she decided agains’t it, since she did not to see the above and below world thru a viewfinder.

My personal experiences:

I tried the Go Pro Hero 4 when it came out. Meh! I had it on my head - rubbish because you just get jerky video, and it has to be in the perfect position. I tried it hand held with a screen too. Again meh.

My biggest issue was it's poor white balance. Even with filters teh image wasn't worth it.

Then I had a G15. Much better (although the Ikelite housing I chose was big and bulky and hated the temps of the Middle East. The problem here is that I fell into the trap of being a slave to the camera. Taking shots of everything. I have far too many hours of clown fish and pretty reefs that I never view.

When it finally gave up the ghost, I couldn't be bothered to replace it, and enjoyed my diving so much more. I'm never going to be a professional photographer or videographer. I was no longer tied to the camera.

That said I've begun investigating an new camera, because there are times when I'd like to record the moment. It'll be another compact. I love diving in current the bigger the better, so my solution here (using an aluminum housing) is to clip one side on a chest D-ring then the other is attached by clip and bungee to either my crotch strap ring or hip ring. The camera is there is I want it, but it's tucked out of the way so doesn't' impede my diving.

Because it's clipped down and not in my hand, I'm not tempted to point it at ever critter I see, but easy to unstow for the occasional stuff I do want to record

That said I've begun investigating an new camera, because there are times when I'd like to record the moment. I

My personal experience is that the IDEA of the picture is always so much better than the actual pic I was able to get. (Of course, I am incompetent in so many things, as can be easily verified by asking a few people on this board.)

You know what's good though? Take topside pics of the other people and staff on your LOB or resort. Those are fun to look at!

- Bill

My personal experience is that the IDEA of the picture is always so much better than the actual pic I was able to get.

You know what's good though? Take topside pics of the other people and staff on your LOB or resort. Those are fun to look at!

- Bill

I always hope to have the better photographers share with me. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

I'm been on the fence about this very thing for a couple years, especially on trips to RA or anything in the Indo-Pacific region - I wouldn't bother for the Caribbean at this point either. I've thought about a Go Pro, and also the Paralenz (though really I'd want something with a screen.) On the one hand, I don't really want more stuff to haul along on a trip, or more stuff to mess with on a dive, or a bunch of processing to do after. And if I'm honest, I don't really have the time or interest in learning what I should to do it well, and I don't think it's worth bothering if I don't make some effort to do it well.

OTOH, there is just some really cool stuff I'd love to capture. My husband is a fairly serious photographer, but has no interest in video even though his DSLR could do some, and sometimes I have trouble even getting him to take pictures of something I want. But still, we have plenty of high quality still stuff. And if I want to see videos I can probably find most anything on the web - even though it's not the same as taking my own, it will probably be better quality. Another thing about even something like the GoPro, if I did it I'd want it to be decent, so I start thinking about lights, filters, trays, arms, yada yada and I know it won't wind up just being the little GoPro itself.

Basically, I think about it before a trip, usually too close to the trip to get things sorted. I sometimes regret not having something during and right after a trip. Then months after I don't regret or miss it anymore. Wash rinse repeat.

Have you though getting Paralenz? It's much more hassle free and you need to flip filters or deal with housings. Picture quality is also better than GoPro. It's bit more pricey though, but I have enjoyd it much more than GoPro and it takes less from dive than GoPro.

I'll throw a vote in for bringing the gopro or something equivalent. First is it's a good luck charm of sorts in that if you leave it on the boat during your dive, you are guaranteed to see a whale shark. (Tongue in cheek of course but it's a well known rule of photography that the time you don't bring your camera you will see great stuff you wish you had your camera for).

Half kidding aside, you are going to one of the best places for diving and scenery in the world. You will see some things it would be nice to have video of. No need to obsess, but nice if you had video of a few things. Which also brings up just shooting video. Video captured what it was really like and gopros aren't really made for shooting pictures unless the subject is real still.

Tips for use are to aim at what you want to shoot, hit start and count to 10. At least. You need at least 6 seconds of still shot for viewer to tell what it is and enjoy it. 10 seconds gives a little buffer. Second thing is to go shoot some video before the trip and then watch the video to see what to improve. Don't just bust it out on the trip and watch your videos later. That's how you miss the cool shots you thought you got. Remember to shoot topside videos of the boat, other guests, the crew, and the scenery to. When you get home you'll have a few things to show people without a lot of effort. Do a good job of resealing it after opening so no floods.

Get the GoPro... I was against taking any kind of camera for a dive because I'd rather enjoy the moment diving than looking for the next video capture. Well, I ended up going to Palau on a LOB. Wife bought a GoPro for me. It was one that had the case and camera all in one. I didn't have to tinker with moisture packs, etc. Very easy to use. No frills though. Did end up buying a filter set for it which I highly recommend. Now, I have great videos that I don't really watch... o_O But there are a few that just blow my mind because I recorded some very memorable dives i.e. sharks feeding @ the Blue Corner, walls of fish, etc. I didn't enjoy my diving as much with the camera because I was focused on recording almost every moment.

Then I went to Raja Ampat on another LOB. Brought the camera with me again but recorded much less than when I was in Palau. Started to enjoy my diving more by recording less. There are some moments in RA that just begged for video though like being under a huge Manta Ray as it passes over... Glad I took the camera on the trip.

Last summer, I went to the Bahamas on the Aqua Cat. Brought the camera and barely used it. Not much to see/record but did video my dive at the Blue Hole with about 150 sharks. I have learned to be very selective in my use of the camera and enjoy my diving just as much as before. For me it was a matter of balance and learning what that balance is. One of my dive buddies on the trip totally gave up his camera. He'd rather just dive and I don't blame him. All depends on what you're looking for. I've been able to tuck my camera into my BC, out of the way, then pull it out when I wanted a recording. It's on an extendable stick and the camera is set to record with just one push of the button. Whole set up is tethered to a D-ring. Nice thing about an extendable stick is getting closer to fish that you couldn't/wouldn't do without it. Also allows me to stick it into certain holes for shots of banded shrimp and their moray eel buddies and not worry about my fingers getting nipped.

After 3 trips with the GoPro, I am now barely using it, which is great! I only record the memorable moments. I am enjoying my diving again as before but now I have a camera to use in case I feel like taking in the moment. You will wish you had a camera in RA. Just be selective when using it and I imagine you will enjoy the memories coming back from your trip. YMMV but I'm guessing you're somewhat like me... Trying to balance the experience of the dive vs recording it. Have a great trip!

Full disclosure: I've got a camera with housing and GoPro 6. So if you think I'm biased, I'm ok with that :)

RA has abundant lives in various forms, shapes and colours, and my little brain just couldn't handle that much. Photos and videos help me recall what I saw, especially when I tried to figure out what they were. Also, I have toddler nephew and niece who enjoy underwater videos, and I could slide in some comments on protecting the ocean here and there when we watch the videos together.

So I would get a camera or GoPro, if I didn't have either.

One more note, I've been on dives where I took very few photos or videos. So it's entirely up to you if you'd like to use it or just clip it to your BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom