Apollo Bio Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for this, So if you are using these fins on the surface what is the best kicking style?

Turn over on your back and frog kick. Easiest way to move on the surface, quickly gets you where you need to go. Maybe a better description would be -- do a breaststroke kick, but on your back. :wink: Maybe that is easier to picture. Sorry I don't have a video for you.

Just to see if I could do it, I used this method to tow 3 other divers halfway across a quarry one day. I was in double Al80s, the other 3 divers were all in doubles and drysuits (2 in double 95s, 1 in double 104s). I'd love to see someone in splits do that. I was in my trusty XL Jets.
I held onto the first diver's manifold, he held onto the next diver's manifold, etc.

I love these "speed test" and "slalom courses" that magazines use. No one (hopefully) kicks like that. You need maneuverability and control, not speed...

Marine mammal fins, whales, dolphins, seals, sea lions, fast moving pelagic fish like tuna, etc, all have "split fins".

No they don't.

Then what do they have ? They sure look like leading and trailing edges-splits-Mother Nature had it figured out long before this sad thread.

Marine mammals such as seals and sea lions have webbed feet similar to paddle fins.
Whales and dolphins have a very shallow vee, more similar to force fins than anything else.
Fast moving fish such as tuna and billfish have sickle shaped tails.

Which sales person sold you that line of bull? Did you read it in a magazine? Have you ever seen a dolphin or a whale? Or a shark? Or a tuna? If so, why weren't you paying attention?

Marine mammals such as seals and sea lions have webbed feet similar to paddle fins.
Whales and dolphins have a very shallow vee, more similar to force fins than anything else.
Fast moving fish such as tuna and billfish have sickle shaped tails.

Which sales person sold you that line of bull? Did you read it in a magazine? Have you ever seen a dolphin or a whale? Or a shark? Or a tuna? If so, why weren't you paying attention?

Yep, I have been fortunate enough to swim with whales, several times, also dolphins, seen a number of blue sharks, and had a Tuna or two on the line-all with fins that split.

No sales person, just personal observation, maybe not the same for you with your great 100 dive experience.

Lift is lift, Bernoulli's principle is well proven. Without it you would still be driving your bus/car instead of flying.

Ducks and frogs do have their place. If you prefer frog and duck type fins, good on you.

Emma, after reading the (predictable) responses to this debate I've had an epiphany. Well, ok, I changed my mind. My advice now would be: "Go with some new white straps Emma." // ww

Yep, I have been fortunate enough to swim with whales, several times, also dolphins, seen a number of blue sharks, and had a Tuna or two on the line-all with fins that split.

You have all those dives with all those animals and never once looked at their tails, huh? There are numerous photos in the photo gallery of whales, dolphins, etc. Take a moment to check them out and then tell me they look and operate anything at all like split fins. In the "Fins?" thread, mkutyna actually took time to attach photos of the tails of numerous marine animals to demonstrate my point.

No sales person, just personal observation, maybe not the same for you with your great 100 dive experience.

I guess at some point between dive 1 and dive 2000 you just quit paying attention. I hope when I have 2000+ dives that I don't ignore what I'm there to see.

Lift is lift, Bernoulli's principle is well proven. Without it you would still be driving your bus/car instead of flying.

And flying is a good analogy because...???

Having used Bio XT's and Jets, along with a few other types, I find myself sticking the Bio XT's in the dive bag more often than not.

As for the marine mammal thing, if it doesn't look like a split, then what do you call that thing labeled a "median notch?"

ACS - American Cetacean Society

I've yet to see a fish or marine mammal with holes in their fins like a Jet though.

And I dive with a drysuit. And I'm fat and heavy. And I'm fast in the XT's when I want to be. And I can back up and frog kick in them just as effectively as my Jets. And when I did my rescue class, I had them and towed the other diver pretty darn fast.

The original poster asked about Apollo Bio's, so I'm answering, since I own a pair and like them better than the Jets.

But to each his own. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom