Apollo Bio Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is the worst fin ever. I tried those once during a dive, so a friend could use my Jets.
I couldn't move 2 inches in the water. They produce no thrust; only bending in the middle. They are a complete waste of money.

I can move more then 2 inches in water without fins...maybe time u gave on diving:eyebrow:

I can move more then 2 inches in water without fins...maybe time u gave on diving:eyebrow:

Therein lies the problem. Those fins produce almost zero thrust, especially if you frog kick...it almost felt like I wasn't wearing fins at all.

I just got my new pair of Biofins. I am planning on taking them to the pool tomorrow night to try them out. I will let you know. I had been diving with my SO's Atomic splits, so I will let you know what the differences are. I got the XT's with the spring straps as they were advertised as being a bit stiffer than the others. FWIW I get fierce leg cramps with my non-splits, even in serious current I can make good progress with my splits.

Doing scientific work means caring a lot of gear , stopping then writing or taking photos then continuing on with your transect or what have you. You need two things - a fin that is not to long as you will not stir up the bottom or destroy delicate marine life ( kelp, coral, etc) and a fin that has the power to push all of your equipment through the water.
I would recommend Force Fin Pros.
proforce_product

As you have stated there are not dive shops in your area. You would have to order over the internet at Pro Force Fin: Force Fin

, but the good thing is you can dive them as much as you can and if you feel they don’t work for you there is 30 days once you have received the fins to return them no questions asked although we would love your feedback! Take a look at the Force Fin website and ask more on the board. Good luck, safe diving and hope you find the right fin for you!

Thanks all, you people are fantastic. I still don't know what to buy, I suspect the biofin would be more than adequate (and undoubtedly an improvement on what I am using), but I think I am just going to invest in some new fin straps for my existing fins (which have faded from yellow to white, so the aesthetics are still good WW). When I get back to NZ I'll hunt down the jetfin, biofin, and maybe the force fins to try out, tho a friend of mine was using the latter during some ray-chasing fieldwork, and there were mixed reports from the various borrowers. I recognise the jet fins from the feet of some divers I have a lot of respect for (I just didn't know that is what they were called). And from now on I am going to swap stuff with other divers more often so I have better product knowledge. Thanks again to all. :eek:) e

Well, this will be the 3rd time I've posted this in 3 days...

1: Sell old fins on Ebay.
2: Buy new ScubaPro Jetfins.
3: Learn how to properly frog kick.

Thanks for this, So if you are using these fins on the surface what is the best kicking style?

Therein lies the problem. Those fins produce almost zero thrust, especially if you frog kick...it almost felt like I wasn't wearing fins at all.

Apollo Sports Bio-Fin Pro C-Series

November 2007: ScubaLab 2007 Fin Test: Apollo Sports Bio-Fin Pro C-Series
It delivered the fastest slalom course time among open-heel fins, and it produced a whopping 40 pounds of thrust. The Bio-Fin Pro was the only open-heel fin to earn an Excellent rating from test divers for Power vs. Stress, and one of only two fins to earn that rating for Acceleration.

I’m a new diver with only about 130 easy “Caribbean” dives under my belt, plus a few drysuit and Catalina dives. So upfront I admit my experience in no way compares to every other poster on this board. I’m in decent shape from routine swimming, biking and running. I’m 48, 6-1, about 175 lbs, for reference.

I dove my first 100 dives with Mares Plana Avanti (pre-Quattro) fins. Before a June 2007 trip to Bonaire I purchased some Apollo XT fins. Why those? They fit extremely well. I would not have purchased new fins if my newly certified daughter had not taken mine. (Kids!)

I immediately liked my XT fins. I had early on started frog kicking, though I didn’t know it was called that, for most of my diving and was immediately able to do so with the XT’s. I’ve since read that I should not have been able to. Since I don’t get to dive much, being able to change equipment without frustration, effort and wasted vacation time was a big plus for me.

I have also since read the Apollo fins are no good for snorkeling, but they worked perfectly for me. I usually substitute hard “workout snorkels” for my routine swim workouts while on vacation, and was really impressed at my speed and how easy the XT fins were.

I had previously tried backing up, and though I’m terrible at it (tend to ascend) I was at least no worse with the XT fins. (Funny though that I can back up easily with either fin while snorkeling. Go figure.) Do want to try some Jets, I admit, after reading what others say. Heck, I’d find it fun to try all of them!

While diving Karpata my 5’ 8” daughter grabbed my slate and wrote, “stomach upset”. I signaled for us to ascend to 15 feet at which time I asked, “Vomit?” and she replied “no”. Staying at 15 feet I took her left hand in my right and with her simply dragging I towed her back to our entrance point – fast. I was really giving it my “sprint-to-the-finish” effort. Even towing, it was the fastest I have ever moved under water. It made my regulator hose flutter violently; wanting to pull the regulator from my mouth, if that means anything. My daughter commented later about how fast we moved. (After she exited and stood up she immediately felt fine, so I think just a case of too much breakfast.)

Only negative I can think of is that they made my feet feel a bit heavier. When looking at blennies with head down and fins up and not kicking (trying to hold still), I noticed my feet wanted to sink a bit more than before. Anyway, just wanted to add my newbie experience with XT fins. Hope you don’t mind the long post.

Apollo Sports Bio-Fin Pro C-Series

November 2007: ScubaLab 2007 Fin Test: Apollo Sports Bio-Fin Pro C-Series
It delivered the fastest slalom course time among open-heel fins, and it produced a whopping 40 pounds of thrust. The Bio-Fin Pro was the only open-heel fin to earn an Excellent rating from test divers for Power vs. Stress, and one of only two fins to earn that rating for Acceleration.

The problem with this test is that it isn't testing anything you might do while diving. If I'm trying to do an underwater obsticle course, give me a pair of biofins.

Try frog kicking with a drysuit in some biofins. You feel like you're standing still. Diving wet they work fine for me, but with the additional drag of a drysuit, I need a stiffer fin.

The problem with this test is that it isn't testing anything you might do while diving. If I'm trying to do an underwater obsticle course, give me a pair of biofins.

Try frog kicking with a drysuit in some biofins. You feel like you're standing still. Diving wet they work fine for me, but with the additional drag of a drysuit, I need a stiffer fin.

Marine mammal fins, whales, dolphins, seals, sea lions, fast moving pelagic fish like tuna, etc, all have "split fins". Ducks and frogs are fine with their paddle style. Mother Nature had it figured out way before this never ending debate. The same lift that allows a 777 to go airborne is the same principle that the split fins use.

Split-Fins - How They Work

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom