Apollo Bio Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Emma NZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,
Sigh...you gear freaks make me feel so inadequate...I´ve decided it might be time to upgrade some gear and my lack enthusiasm (for the gear, not for the diving) and knowledge is weighing me down...
So here ´tis. Help please.
I´m cold water (dry suit) diving, southern chile and HOPEFULLY antarctic peninsula. Often I´m dragging around a load of equipment (scientific stuff). There are no real gear shops here and very few divers, so trying out fins is not an option. I´ll purchase from New Zealand, and the retailer there recommended the Apollo Bio Fin or the Atomic split fin.
I´ve been happily using some seac subs, they´ve got me thru the best part of 500 dives, tho on the one or two occasions I´ve swapped fins with friends they have been entirely unimpressed with mine and I have been reluctant to return theirs. Given this, I guess anything will be an improvement, BUT please let me know if you have any thoughts on why I shouldn´t go with the Apollo Bio Fin (the Atomic just looks too wierd...sorry, just not a gear freak).
I´m reasonably fit, don´t generally struggle with leg strength, tho would like to have a bit more grunt if I´ve got a big swim or lots of gear.
All thoughts appreciated,
Many thanks
Emma

ps, also looking at Apollo bio lift or atlantis scuba resolute BCD, but will post these in a separate thread in the appropriate area

well, I can't offer many comparisons, as I have only tried a few fins so far, but I bought the apollo bio's, and they are perfectly adequate and easy.

I won't go into the descriptive terms, because I don't have that much experience, but they are pretty good in my books :)

So Emma, are other divers who might also be lugging around scientific stuff (and diving dry) using the Bio's? They should do fine for what you describe but where you can run into problems with them is to not make an adjustment on your kicking. I was used to JetFins and have fairly strong legs. Had to use a slower, less powerful flutter kick--but I could get the same "push" or even more with Bios. If you are power kicking you warp out the wing part (center split flex area) of fins and lose a lot of the propulsion gain. It's no trick "learn", sure is less work but definitely something to know. Also something to remind yourself of in a current, when you are thinking "Kick harder!", DON"T. You'll get plenty of power with a slow steady flutter.

They are a heavier fin (natural rubber) but that is more of a travel concern (couple pounds heavier per pair than most synthetic fins) than a water concern (pretty neutral in water). Foot pockets are on the roomy side, will take thicker boots. Plus they now come in white so if you do get to dive the Antarctic you won't clash--reason enough I'd say! // ww

FWIW, the I believe the Coast Guard is no longer allowing split fins for this type of diving after the Healy tragedy last year.

Well, this will be the 3rd time I've posted this in 3 days...

1: Sell old fins on Ebay.
2: Buy new ScubaPro Jetfins.
3: Learn how to properly frog kick.

That is the worst fin ever. I tried those once during a dive, so a friend could use my Jets.
I couldn't move 2 inches in the water. They produce no thrust; only bending in the middle. They are a complete waste of money.

I tried those once during a dive, so a friend could use my Jets. I couldn't move 2 inches in the water.

Well, that says it all, you "tried once" and you did not know how to kick them so you have your old 30 year old fins and you like them, good for you.

The all natural rubber bio-fins, particularly the stiffer XT versions are way more efficient, IMO, and they work well with any style kick. My 30+ year old jets, and AMF Swimmaster ducks, Mares Plana and Avanti fin, and others, are now in the garage dive museum.

That is the worst fin ever. I tried those once during a dive, so a friend could use my Jets.
I couldn't move 2 inches in the water. They produce no thrust; only bending in the middle. They are a complete waste of money.

While that is your opinion (and stated a little harsh), they must work for alot of people, or they wouldn't still be on the market. You have to use different kicks for different fins. I like to buy new gear....try it out....and put it on Ebay if I don't like it. My last trip to Bonaire (last month) I took a pair of Cressi Reaction fins. I couldn't go anywhere with them (fairly stiff). By the end of the week (after altering my kick....different than I use for my splits) I was getting around pretty good. they are still going on Ebay though :).

That being said, I had a pair of the Volos. My neighbor and I were playing around in a local quarry (that I only dive to test new gear) and he wanted to try my Volos. Mid-dive we traded fins (he had Apollo Bios). The next day my Volos went on Ebay and I ordered a pair of Bios, which are still my favorite fins to-date.

Dave

Emma, for the type of diving you do, I agree with sparticlebrane that you might not like the biofins. I use primarily a frog kick, and split fins work fin when I'm diving wet, but when I started diving dry, I found them completely inadequate. With the additional drag of a drysuit, I didn't have enough thrust. I switched to slipstreams (pretty much the same as jetfins) and I love them. They also have the added benifit of being about half the price of your average splits. If you have your heart set on splits, I would reccomend the Atomics over the biofins because they are longer and stiffer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom