Apex ATX200 Vs. Poseidon Jetstream/Odin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-BlueHole-

Reaction score
At the moment I dive with a Jetstream and a Scubapro D400 on a Mk.20, but after some probs I decided to sell the D400, now I have a nice dilemma... what I use instead?

-I buy another Poseidon...It rocks but I heard about some freeflows...(seems strange to me but u never know)
-I buy an Apex Atx200...

An important decisional factor is that I dive mostly in lakes, cold :cold: lakes (3-5 Celsius) and I prefer to awoid freeflows...

I'd like to hear some opinions...thx

I have both the Apex 200 and the Posiedon

I preffer the Apex for shallower dives, or on my travel gas
and i preffer the Posiedons for deeper dives [deeper than 300 feet]

I have the Posiedons set at a high intermediat pressure so even though they don't free flow there is a possitive pressure on the shallow dive which tends to increase my apperant sac rate.

however the higher pressure works well at deeper depths

-Bob3 : Yes I installed the nice black rubber antifreeze kit :wink:

-dlarbale : my buddy who used the same regs had a freeflow at 50something meters (150feets), due to first stage freezing...
I regulary hear storyes like this one in my area, but I have to precise two points :
-water temperature is very cold 3-5 Celsius (sorry no Imp :( ) on the bottom
-most of the divers I know dive with an Mk20, so more regs in the water more probs experienced, if 90 divers over 100 uses a brand there is surely more possibilities to hear probs from that brand...

Until now I never heard of any problems coming from Poseidon or Apeks regs... but this means nothing...

Apeks had a sealed first stage so I think is almost impossible to freeze if is no water inside...
On the other hand U.S. Navy on their diving manual advice Poseidons for cold water scuba operations (page J-2)...

Bluehole,

Thanks for the unbiased view on the SP fault. I was just curious because I've got a MK20 + S600 and haven't had a clitch yet - water temp is 12 C min though so no suprises there.

Thanks - Dave.

I use both Apex and Posiedons simalar to Aquatec. They both have great benefits and with the environmental kits installed you shouldn't have any problems. Of course I do not see exteme cold conditions for a long period of time, but they have both worked for me in icey conditions. If I was to make a choice, I would spead the weath and go for the Apex because the Posiedons do tend to be sensitive at times.

Hi Aquatech......I own 3 Odin reg sets but am still a fairly new diver and still 'learning' the Odins......can you tell me more about your setting of the intermediate pressure to a 'higher' level?

What do you set it at versus the factory recommendations?

I'm not yet a deep diver, but am a fan of the Odin style of air delivery, do you feel the 'positive pressure' induced is safe to dive?

I've heard it said 'positive pressure' breathing could be dangerous...is it true?

How does it feel?
Is it 'comfortable'?

Does it cause accelerated wear on any of the reg parts?

How do you control the free flow issue?

Thanks,

Karl

We are diving the odins and mark 20/25 scubapro combo's under the ice right now in 28 f water no problems no freeze up! Except last weeknd it was freaking so cold with the windchill factor that we hit the water and stood up for a moment and every thing froze!!:( ;-0

Other than that we are Getting bottom temps of 38 f in the great lakes on some of our trimix dives to 300 feet and the odins and the scubapro's don't freeze up and no on in my team has had a problem yet!!

My combo is mark 20/D400 ( so sweet on mix it's orgasmic) handy dandy jestream odin around the neck on bungeee!!!:wink:

GOOD LUCK

ninja

Back
Top Bottom