Apeks WSX-25/45? Versus xDeep and/or Katana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the comment that I would still like to understand better.

The issue facing English/Mexican Cave style rigs has ALWAYS been how to deliver high end buoyancy needs without creating a horrific 'beach ball' effect.

XDeep have innovated towards that goal.... and it pays off.

Apeks just didn't seem to care...

I'm looking at the inflated Apeks wing and I don't understand how the phrase "horrific beach ball effect" would apply. Or, if it does apply, I'd really like to see a picture of a Stealth Tec fully inflated, so I can see what not-a-beach-ball looks like.

I dove both....chose the Stealth Tec, no comparison IMHO. The quality of the Stealth I though was far superior. I dive dry, heavy undergarments, LP85's in cold dark water and I do not get the beach ball efffect. As someone else mentioned there is an easy fix that keeps the rear from rising but honestly with the proper wing bungee tension at 140 feet I have video and the wing is nicely contoured to my back.

Out of interest, what is that fix?

I don't know what anyone else is doing. For my WSX-45, I made a loop of bungee that goes through a tri-slide on my crotch strap. I ran it up through the bottom grommet of the wing and tied a big knot to keep it from pulling through. I positioned the tri-slide so that when I put the rig on, it puts pretty decent tension on the bungee, to hold the wing taut and down against my back.

I don't have video (yet), but the instructors who have looked at me in the water have all told me the wing looks "good".

Thanks stuartv.

Fwiw, I switched to SM (from single and then twin backmount) at the start this year and am a definite convert.

As part of switching I did a course using a Hollis SMS-50 in the Red Sea. But I do a lot of my diving in the UK, as well as warm water stuff, so needed something suitable for that.

Having no personal experience of any other SM systems, I ended up getting a Hollis SMS100 -- I got a stupidly good price for a new one (less than half retail), and since I had no direct experience of any SM system for cold-water UK diving, it seemed as good a choice as any for a first one. (On the basis that if I hated it, I could re-sell without any loss and get something else.)

Being used to a conventional wing, I do actually quite like it -- it's certainly very comfortable -- but I'd concede that it's a massive beast (and utterly unsuited to travel), and would prefer a more "minimalist" (and lighter) design -- hence an interest in the Apeks WSX 25/45, xDeep Stealth Tec, and similar.

Being used to a conventional wing, I do actually quite like it -- it's certainly very comfortable -- but I'd concede that it's a massive beast (and utterly unsuited to travel), and would prefer a more "minimalist" (and lighter) design -- hence an interest in the Apeks WSX 25/45, xDeep Stealth Tec, and similar.

I only started with SM 2 or 3 months ago or something like that. My Apeks WSX-45 Redundant Bladder rig is the only one I own or have even used. I like it just fine. I had no formal training. I learned what I know about SM by reading here, some other websites, and YouTube videos. My first time in the water with it, I was with some other OW instructors who were diving SM (and who look like the "good" SM pictures I see posted). They said I was flat in the water and my tanks were where they are supposed to be. Seems good to me!

When I got the Apeks, I took it out of the box and put it together with modifications from how Apeks intends for it to be done. I added some tri-slides and used bungee and paracord to rig it with loop bungees coming off the spine strap, instead of the top harness plate. Plus the aforementioned setup for holding the bottom of the wing. So, about $5 worth of extra "bits" on top of what came with the rig. Maybe $10 worth of bits counting some rigid D-rings I put on the waist belt.

It seems like some people really speak poorly of this rig because of how it would be if you rigged it like Apeks "wants" using only the parts that came with it. But, I have yet to figure out what is better about, for example, the xDeep Stealth Tec than my rig, as I have it setup. It definitely does not bother me to have spent the extra $5 on parts to configure the rig the way I want it. I would generally do something comparable on any back mount rig I might buy, too. I.e. add a few bits and reconfigure some things to be how I want them. Would all negative opinions about the Apeks 45 be absolved if it simply shipped with the few extra bits as an option to rig it with loop bungees??

Maybe I'll get to try a Stealth Tec soon and find out for myself. Hopefully...

I only started with SM 2 or 3 months ago or something like that. My Apeks WSX-45 Redundant Bladder rig is the only one I own or have even used. I like it just fine. I had no formal training. I learned what I know about SM by reading here, some other websites, and YouTube videos.

But, I have yet to figure out what is better about, for example, the xDeep Stealth Tec than my rig, as I have it setup. ...

You answered your final question with your first qualifying statement. I learned on an sms100 by one of the biggest names in sm diving. My first year I couldnt understand whT was so great about other rigs. After a year and alot of technical dives, I learned why the sms isnt as ideal as I thought and why there were better choices.

If I would have been a self taught sm diver I'd probably have not had any clue.

You answered your final question with your first qualifying statement. I learned on an sms100 by one of the biggest names in sm diving. My first year I couldnt understand whT was so great about other rigs. After a year and alot of technical dives, I learned why the sms isnt as ideal as I thought and why there were better choices.

If I would have been a self taught sm diver I'd probably have not had any clue.

I don't think I answered my question at all. I just identified one reason why I have the question. I keep hoping that somebody who does know will come along and explain the answer.

I don't think I answered my question at all. I just identified one reason why I have the question. I keep hoping that somebody who does know will come along and explain the answer.

There were answers such as the beach ball effect. I think with more time diving sidemount you'll see that with experience you'll see why some rigs arent as good as you think they are now. I'd bet in 100 dives you'll have a much different view than you do now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom