Apeks WSX-25/45? Versus xDeep and/or Katana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been increasingly SM-curious. From all my reading, I have thought that the xDeep Tec and the Hollis Katana would be ones I would want to try if I ever got a chance.

I was at my LDS the other day. One of the owners normally dives SM and he was putting together a new WSX-25 rig. It looked really nice. It seems to address the complaints I've read about the xDeep by having a dump valve on the side. Plus it has a bit of material covering the butt dump, hopefully helping to keep crap from getting down in the OPV.

I read Andy's review on his site of the WSX-25, but I'm wondering if any of you have further real-world info to share on the WSX-25 or 45 and how you think it really compares to the Stealth Rec or Tec or to the Hollis Katana.

Also, I don't understand what I see in the pictures here:

http://www.apeksdiving.com/us/products/bcds/product/wsx-45-sidemount-harness.html

The first picture looks as expected. But the second picture seems to show the inflator and dump valve being on the bottom (diver side) of the wing. And the third picture shows a cap for a dump in the shoulder area, again on the bottom of the wing. Are those pictures of a dual bladder wing?

Or, I noticed in the specs it says:

"Dump Valves 1 flat valve - lower center and 2 moveable on left side, right side or upper left shoulder"

What does that mean? Do you have to pick where you want your inflator and dump valve and then cut your own holes? What if you mount your dump and inflator at the left and right sides and then decide to move one of them to the shoulder area? Can you, or is your first choice permanent?

If it matters, my primary interest is probably in the bigger wings (45 or Tec). If I get into SM, I'll probably be using it diving dry, with steel tanks and, eventually, 1 or more deco bottles.

No, the WSX allows you to move the inflator and dump to any one of three positions. The only valve that is fixed is the center flat valve.
The shoulder blank is on the back side of the wing

So, the blanks (e.g. the shoulder blank) can be taken out and put back in as desired? E.g. you could try the wing with a shoulder inflate and left side dump and then change it around to have a left side inflate and right side dump, with the shoulder blank put back in?

If the blanks can be removed and reinstalled, how do they work?

If I only look at the left and right pictures (in the link I posted earlier), it makes sense. There's a blank on the shoulder area, and you would move that to (for example) blank off the left side dump, if you move the inflator from the left side dump to the shoulder.

But, the middle picture is what is confusing me. It appears to be showing the inflator and side dump coming out of the back of the wing, but the side shown does not show the butt dump or the shoulder dump.

That's what I don't get. It seems like one side should always have the butt dump and the opposite side should always have the shoulder dump, so whichever side of the wing is shown, I should be able to see one or the other of those. But that middle picture doesn't show either one.

the middle picture is the redundant bladder, which only is set up for one inflator and one opv dump. mouseover the picture.

So, the blanks (e.g. the shoulder blank) can be taken out and put back in as desired? E.g. you could try the wing with a shoulder inflate and left side dump and then change it around to have a left side inflate and right side dump, with the shoulder blank put back in?

If the blanks can be removed and reinstalled, how do they work?

they are screw on caps that share the same hole threading as the opv dumps and inflator hose.

i own both a wsx25 and wsx45. i dive the 45 locally with a pair of hp100s and the 25 on trips with al80s. they are pretty good bc's, just the msrp is kinda high imo. i would not have bought either at the LDS MSRP.

at the MSRP pricing, i can't say the wsx is worth 200 more than the 600 or so the xdeeps go for. ultimately, it came down to getting a deal on the floor display model. (ok you do get the buttpouch with the wsx and the sliding drings work a little better than the rubber ones on the xdeep, but not a big deal). haven't tried the katana, only the sms75. sms75 rear dring location annoyed me. made my tanks flare out too much.

I think I got it now. I didn't notice the text before that pops up when you mouse over the pictures. So, the redundant bladder doesn't go inside a cover with the main bladder or anything? It just sandwiches between the harness and the primary bladder? The same bungees that go through the primary bladder holes to hold it on just go through the redundant bladder holes, to keep it all together?

Ignoring price, no commentary on which one is actually "better" (I know, I know) between the xDeep, the Katana, and the Apeks?

My LDS is obviously carrying the Apeks, and they do carry Hollis, but I don't believe they carry any xDeep stuff. I think they are going to make me a DM for the shop shortly, so I would be able to get the Apeks for a good price.

So, assuming price is not a factor, is there a reason to prefer one of these over the others?

I'm *thinking* that the Katana is out just because being able to swap for a bigger or smaller wing seems like a nice feature to have.

you could possibly also stuff it underneath the armoguard cover of the primary bladder. you would lose access to the rear butt dump probably though.

Okay, with no other input there, I was thinking that a WSX was a perfectly fine option in lieu of the xDeep (or Katana).

Now, @DevonDiver and @decompression have both suggested the xDeep would be better.

I'm in the market for something in the 45-ish pound range (versus the 25 that is the smaller Apeks).

Andy, I'm particularly surprised that you discounted the Apeks because it was your somewhat glowing review here that made me really look into it in the first place:

APEKS WSX-25 Sidemount

Based on the responses in the other thread I started, indicating I should go for a 45# wing over the 25, I figure the Katana is out for having only 30# of lift.

So, the question is, what it it really about the Stealth Tech that makes it preferable to the Apeks 45?

From my somewhat-educated by completely inexperienced position, they look extremely similar. Comparing Pros and Cons, I don't really see any Pros to the Stealth. What I see is:

Apeks has a dump valve on the side opposite the inflator - a dump which could be positioned on the inside of the upper shoulder area, if desired. The Stealth only has the butt dump and the inflator dump.

I read posts in other threads where some people don't like the Stealth butt dump. Some say it can be hard to reach. Some say that it is exposed and can get damaged in tight quarters. It seems intuitive that its position could allow dirt/small rocks to easily get into the dump and clog up the works, so to speak. I read something (maybe Rob Neto's book - I don't remember) where the author talked about having small pebbles get in the inflator and ultimately getting in where it prevented the valve from closing all the way. In contrast, the Apeks butt dump is covered, protecting it somewhat from damage and from pebbles raining down from a cave ceiling and getting inside it.

The wing shapes on both are similar. Andy mentioned in my other thread "the epic 'beach ball' or 'cobra hood' type effect that occurs when you put heavy tanks on an English/Mexican Cave style rig." Andy, you kind of made it sound like the Apeks has that problem but the Stealth Tec does not. Is that what you meant?

My goal is to dive sidemount in cold water, a dry suit, 2 HP100s, plus up to 2 AL80 deco bottles.

Should I get the Apeks 45, the xDeep Stealth, or something else? I'm currently inclined towards the Apeks, so if you think something else would be better and you can dive me some specifics on what's better about it, that would be great!

Back
Top Bottom