Apeks HP Seat failure: rumor or fact?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's very annoying. It's not just you. I've told a couple people about it and quite a few said they have the same issue, and it just thought it was them.

Hmmm.

Aside from the issue screwing my Din DSTs into the valves every freaking time, I have not had any issues with my Apeks at all.

If you still have blue first stage kits, those are the ones with failures. They changed to the white cards early last year and the issue mysteriously went away.

Just so I know what ones to stay away from and can distinguish the good HP seats from the bad ones what do you mean by blue first stage kits.

I have bought a couple service kits over the last year or two and they were in a newer style white non see through packaging. And be for that the ones I was buying came in a clear plastic bag with the white card. Or alot of times I just buy the HP seats, and diaphragms separate I have maybe bought about 20 of them over the years and never had a failure. When I do service my regs (I have to admit I only do this every couple years I am more of a if it ain't broke don't mess with it kind of a person) when I pull the HP seats they always look good, just the usual indentation but nothing wrong with them.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a picture of what the blown seats look like? I'm trying to understand the failure mechanism.

Not trying to defend Apeks as there are way too many data point showing this is genuine problem, I have just been lucky enough to not have it but I would be interested to see this as well and what is everyone's definition of a "failed HP seat" I know every once and a while I have to change out an HP seat because it starts to creep but that is usually after extensive use (and I am pretty bad about servicing my regs only do it every couple years) so I would not count this as a failed HP seat this is just normal wear and tear. Also I use my regs probably more then the average holiday diver, even with COVID I put in a little over 200hr underwater in 2021 so my regs are getting used quite a bit

Just so I know what ones to stay away from and can distinguish the good HP seats from the bad ones what do you mean by blue first stage kits.

I have bought a couple service kits over the last year or two and they were in a newer style white non see through packaging. And be for that the ones I was buying came in a clear plastic bag with the white card. Or alot of times I just buy the HP seats, and diaphragms separate I have maybe bought about 20 of them over the years and never had a failure. When I do service my regs (I have to admit I only do this every couple years I am more of a if it ain't broke don't mess with it kind of a person) when I pull the HP seats they always look good, just the usual indentation but nothing wrong with them.

Not trying to defend Apeks as there are way too many data point showing this is genuine problem, I have just been lucky enough to not have it but I would be interested to see this as well and what is everyone's definition of a "failed HP seat" I know every once and a while I have to change out an HP seat because it starts to creep but that is usually after extensive use (and I am pretty bad about servicing my regs only do it every couple years) so I would not count this as a failed HP seat this is just normal wear and tear. Also I use my regs probably more then the average holiday diver, even with COVID I put in a little over 200hr underwater in 2021 so my regs are getting used quite a bit
The white cards are the newer style that I haven't seen any failures with. The older ones were on blue card stock. The newest ones in the white envelopes seem to be the same as the white carded ones. That is what I received the last time I ordered.

I service tons of XTX50s and XTX 200s over last 10 years (well over 100 per year). No significant issues i can think of except:

A) one group of users who think they can adjust the IP by turning the balance plug under pressure. Of course this destroys the seat. Operator error, not a seat failure.

B) customer who flooded reg and allowed it to dry out. The seat seized in the balance chamber and hp air blew out the diaphragm, hydrostatic transmitter etc. Not a hp seat failure.

I am still using the "yellow card" and never had any issue over last 24yrs on all my Apeks regs.

I know this is 2nd stage kit, but these cards are bad?
Rest are good?

Rest are good?
Correct. The blue were the bad run, the white are the current good ones. I don't know about green and yellow. I don't have any of those.

Rest are good?

Correct. The blue were the bad run, the white are the current good ones. I don't know about green and yellow. I don't have any of those.

Thanks guys for the clarification!! I will for sure avoid these

Yes I have never used these nor can I say I have ever even seen them. My self and all the ones I have ever seen friends and dive centers use are the clear bags with white card or preciously the yellow ones, plus the newer ones with in the last year or two with the white non-see through bag.

Clearly must have been and issue with this batch as I have had 0 issues with any of the other kits. Might be why they changed the color.

Sorry for thread drift, but can someone point me to explanation of what is blocked 1st stage and why do you use it?

I had a dst a and ds4 blow their hp seat. What they had in common was a dumbass with a wrench. The dude who serviced them set the ip to 16 bars and opening the tank burned out the first stages at first use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom