Apeks Black Pearl VS Zeagle ZX-Flathead VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOG-SPLITTER

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I`m down to to now. I have did allot of reading on these forums and from what I have read both of these regs have allot of respect.It`s down to flipping a coin if I can`t get any advice here.

Apeks Black Pearl VS Zeagle ZX-Flathead VI

I live in canada I will mainly be in cool water but not ice diving.And i also like to go to maui a couple times a year.

I want something very high end as I dont want to have to upgrade anytime soon.

I thank you all who will give me your profisional advice!

Thx!

I love my Black Pearl. In fact I love both of them. Are they still available?

The black pearl is no longer available. Basically it's a limited edition ATX200. I dive the Atx200 and i would highly recommend it as one of the best regs on the market! Easy breathing at all depths, and highly adjustable. i've taken mine to 160+, and it was flawless. Apeks just released the Tungsten as the replacment of the Black Pearl and i recently read an article/test in a magazine....you wouldn't believe what they put that reg through and it still performed. So, you might want to take a look at the tungsten instead, since the black pearl is discontinued. i highly recommend it!

P.S. Never dove zeagle, but i'm sure you'll get plenty of posts on those too.

http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=2350

I love mine. Have a pearl and a ATX 200 on my twins and love them both equally. Wouldn't trade for the world. Never seen a Tungsten one but I am assuming they are the same as ATX 200/Black Pearl

I have two Black Pearls. I got them because I got a "two for one" deal (two BPs for just over the retail cost of one ATX200). They breathe great...and I would hope so since they're just "pretty" ATX200s.

My SAC rate was .44 on my dives yesterday...which I'm just absolutely sure is due to the BP and not my huge lungs (tongue in cheek). Seriously though, the regs breathe great. I love them.

Though I've never tried the Zeagle reg, you can't go wrong with the Pearl (if you can still find one that is). I've had several people comment about how much they like mine. If you do buy one, however, be aware that torquing the yoke adaptor swivel too much can cause the bolt to loosen, and retightening it improperly will cut the O-ring and lead to a slow leak (this happened to me once when I asked a DM to tighten it down for me).

I have the Zeagle FlatHead VI. It's is an awesome performing regulator with a great warranty (free parts for life). I got mine from SCUBA.com (authorized Zeagle dealer) who matched a ridiculously low LP price. From a cost/performance perspective over the expected life time of this reg, it was a tough deal to beat.

All you really need to be "high end" is the Apex ATX50 + DS4. That is if you are after being "high-end" under water. If you are a shore gear flasher, things are different. Then you may consider the ATX200 (in whatever color at extra cost...). But there's no other reason to pay extra, seriously!

I Must be a dingdong. Not only do I have the two Black Pearls I have two ATX 200's. That should be enough regs to last me awhile. :)

Al Mialkovsky:
I Must be a dingdong. Not only do I have the two Black Pearls I have two ATX 200's. That should be enough regs to last me awhile. :)

I'm no better! I have two sets of Aqualung Legend LX Supreme + one set of Poseidon Cyklon 5000, all with separate back up regs. They are all no more than two years old...

But as I wrote, all you really NEED... :D

My plan is to use the Cyklon 5000 as the separate back up reg, when I can afford a new pair of doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom