Apeks Black Pearl VS Zeagle ZX-Flathead VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is the apeks black pearl the one made from "tungsten" material, i read an article on an apeks reg called the ATX200 tungsten which they said was indestructable after doing all these tests like putting them on the grill and run them over with cars..........thanks

Flathead. As I get deeper, it breaths better. I also like the fact that they are made locally!
And Scott,
If my 911 gets ready while I am in town, I will be making a stop in Zepherhills to say hello!

Vie:
I think Chad is talking about "Scuba Diving" magazine (formerly Rodale's Scuba Diving).

http://www.scubadiving.com/

Yeah, the "Muscle Regs" article ran in Scuba Diving Magazine, but they have not posted it up on their website.

Unfortunately in the older "Class of 2004" regulator review, the website does not show the individual scores, just the totals. The tests were redone for the new article because our Flathead XP also received 20 out of 20.

Chad

Chad Carney:
Unfortunately in the older "Class of 2004" regulator review, the website does not show the individual scores, just the totals. The tests were redone for the new article because our Flathead XP also received 20 out of 20.
On the first page of the 2004 regulator article they have a link to a pdf of the charts. FYI. Much better than the goofy html tables they used to put on their website.

kjpwong:
is the apeks black pearl the one made from "tungsten" material, i read an article on an apeks reg called the ATX200 tungsten which they said was indestructable after doing all these tests like putting them on the grill and run them over with cars..........thanks

The FSR (ATX200 first stage), Black Pearl and Tungsten are all the same design. The Black Pearl and the confusingly named Tungsten are basically the regular chromium-plated marine-grade brass FSRs with various components coated with a mix of titanium and zirconium using a Physical Vapour Deposition (PVD) process -they are not made from tunsten. The Black Pearl is a limited edition FSR/ATX200 with an image of a hard-helmet diver on the first stage and a redesigned second stage cover (retained on the Tungsten with minor change to purge button graphics).

The article you are referring to is Through Fire and Ice, Dive's Toughest Test Ever, in the October 2005 issue of Dive magazine.

StSomewhere:
On the first page of the 2004 regulator article they have a link to a pdf of the charts. FYI. Much better than the goofy html tables they used to put on their website.

StSomewhere,

Good observation, thanks!

I have the hard copies of all these articles, but my scanner died, so I have no way to put up the new reports.

Chad

I'm curious how it is the Flathead breathes better when deeper. Is it overbalanced ?
If a diver tried a variety of top regs by different manufacturers in moderate temp water at 100 feet would there be much of a noticeable difference between them ?
Rex

Thank you for the pointer, the related issue of the magazine is:
http://dive.scubadiving.com/current_issue/1105/

"I know Apeks makes some fine regulators, because we used to sell our own models of the ATX50 and ATX100, made by them."

Oh, sorry I am not too familiar with it, does it mean that sometime ago, Apeks products are being used by Zeagle as the core?

"From Apeks, only the ATX100 joined our Zeagle Flatheads in pulling perfect scores in all these categories."

Does it mean that ATX100 scores higher than the ATX200...
their 2nd stage is about the same, so does it imply that the FST is actually performing a bit better than the FSR?

I've heard a lot of good than about Zeagle, flathead VI, etc.
The flaghead VI looks v. much like DS4, are they made locally in Calif?
Oh, I live in the Bay Area....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom