HOG D3 vs Flathead VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Setting up a second/backup/save-a-dive regulator assembly.

I'm set on the second stages but I don't know what direction to head on the first stages. I have on hand both a Zeagle Flathead VI and a HOG D3.

Overall they seem pretty comparable to each other although I believe the D3 is a newer model/gen than the VI.
Neither one can be serviced by my LDS but that's OK as I can send them out for service in the dark days of winter when I don't care to be diving.

Is it really a coin toss as to which one to go with or are there certain reasons y'all would choose one of these 1st stages over the other?

Zeagle Flathead VI is a solid chunk of brass :) Does not freeze up :) never did fоr me in 36F fresh water.

Zeagle has a unique seat design, unlike knofe edges over a concave or flat seat its a conical poppet sealing against a cylindrical seat. It lasts very long time and as such the stability of the IP does as well. As a side effect of this the IP lockup is a bit mushy, but thats normal for them as it takes a bit of time the poppet finds its position in the hole. As an upside its kind of difficult to damage it when rebuilding. In a case when some one manages to damage it both the poppet and the seat are replaceable. Its a solid performer and quite tested well overtime. Cannot go wrong with it. Kits are available.

I do not know anything about HOGs so hopefully some guys can provide more details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom