AOW for Experienced Divers: An Open Letter to PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the value of logbooks, I doubt that an inexperienced diver will fill his/hers up (or loan their computer to someone else to log dives) just to make up for deficiencies in their diving capabilities. Although the AOW card sets a standard that one has met, that does not make that person an "Advanced Diver" in the sense of a challenging dive. So a peek at one's logbook should worth something...

As to the value of a card, just recently I applied for a volunteer diver position that required rescue certification and the only use of the certification card was to get permission to enter the pool and demonstrate rescue skills... The point? That card does not mean much in terms of skill... and a checkout dive is probably the only way one can tell what a diver is capable of.

Sometimes the different threads active on ScubaBoard at a given time intrigue me with the irony. Here we have an OW diver frustrated with the limitations imposed on him by dive charters because he 'only' has an OW cert.

Elsewhere on the forum, I've been following a thread where there seems to be some sentiment that PADI OW is so lousy that it should be changed to 'PADI Resort Diver' and graduates only allowed to dive under professional supervision.

Quick pot stirring suggestion to the mod.s; how about merging this thread and that one?

Richard.

I wonder what you would have thought if the OP had written the following instead:

Dear Harvard University:

Over the past decades, I have read a lot of books and had a lot of experiences that provided me with much more information than a typical college degree. I find, though, that I am unable to get the kind of job for which I am qualified because for some reason businesses are requiring a college diploma. I also find that it matters what college provides the diploma, and Harvard seems to do well in that category. I therefore suggest that Harvard have a program that provides a Harvard degree to anyone who can provide a list of books read that are equivalent to a college degree and who can pass a single check out test covering key concepts in those books. I believe that should cost $100.

PS: I notice that a lot of your recent graduates really, really suck compared to me. You should do something about that.​

Looks like that may have been working for a while now at Harvard...

Honorary Degrees | Harvard University

Some honorary degree recipients

Year
Recipient
Degree
Benjamin Franklin
A.M.
George Washington
LL.D.
John Adams
LL.D.
Thomas Jefferson
LL.D.
Samuel Adams
LL.D.
John Quincy Adams
LL.D.
Washington Irving
LL.D.
Andrew Jackson
LL.D.
Alexis Charles Henri de Tocqueville
LL.D.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
LL.D.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
LL.D.
Ulysses S. Grant
LL.D.
Booker T. Washington
A.M.
William Howard Taft
LL.D.
Woodrow Wilson
LL.D.
John Singer Sargent
Art.D.
Herbert Hoover
LL.D.
Theodore Roosevelt
A.M.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
LL.D.
Albert Einstein
S.D.
Robert Frost
Litt.D.
Walt Disney
A.M.
Carl Sandburg
Litt.D.
Winston Churchill
LL.D.
Dwight Eisenhower
LL.D.
George Marshall
LL.D.
Thornton Wilder
Litt.D.
John F. Kennedy
LL.D.
Aaron Copland
Mus.D.
Martha Graham
Art.D.
Leonard Bernstein
Mus.D.
Mohammad Reza Pahlavi
LL.D.
Saul Bellow
Litt.D.
Georgia O’Keeffe
Art.D.
Robert Penn Warren
Litt.D.
Mstislav L. Rostropovich
Mus.D.
Beverly Sills
Mus.D.
Arthur Fiedler
Art.D.
Barbara Jordan
LL.D.
Eudora Welty
Litt.D.
John Cheever
Litt.D.
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Litt.D.
Desmond Tutu
LL.D.
Octavio Paz
Litt.D.
Ansel Adams
Art.D.
Leontyne Price
Art.D.
Mother Teresa
LL.D.
Tennessee Williams
Litt.D.
Carlos Fuentes
LL.D.
Juan Carlos I
LL.D.
Benny Goodman
Mus.D.
Louise Nevelson
Art.D.
Lord Carrington
LL.D.
Itzhak Perlman
Mus.D.
Thomas P. O’Neill Jr.
LL.D.
Jessye Norman
Mus.D.
Oscar Arias Sánchez
LL.D.
Benazir Bhutto
LL.D.
Toni Morrison
LL.D.
Ella Fitzgerald
Mus.D.
Stephen W. Hawking
S.D.
Helmut Kohl
LL.D.
Yo-Yo Ma
Mus.D.
Eduard Shevardnadze
LL.D.
Gro Harlem Brundtland
LL.D.
Isaac Stern
Mus.D.
Colin Powell
LL.D.
Ravi Shankar
Art.D.
Albert Gore Jr.
LL.D.
Vaclav Havel
LL.D.
Quincy Jones
Mus.D.
John Rawls
LL.D.
Gertrude B. Elion
S.D.
Nelson Mandela
LL.D. (awarded during a special convocation in September)
Julia Kristeva
LL.D.
Herbert Block
Art.D.
Seiji Ozawa
Mus.D.
John Ashbery
Litt.D.
Nicolaas Bloembergen
S.D.
Jürgen Habermas
LL.D.
Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.
LL.D.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
LL.D.
Neil L. Rudenstine
LL.D.
Ruth J. Simmons
LL.D.
Philip Roth
Litt.D.
Ernesto Zedillo Ponce de Leon
LL.D.
Kofi Annan
LL.D.
Margaret Atwood
Litt.D.
Shirley M. Tilghman
LL.D.
Edward O. Wilson
S.D.
D. Ronald Daniel
LL.D.
John Lithgow
Art.D.
Charles M. Vest
LL.D.
Sir Michael Atiyah, Elizabeth H. Blackburn, Philip E. Converse, Philippe de Montebello, Shirley Ann Jackson, Jim Lehrer, Robert P. Moses, Norman F. Ramsey, Leo Steinberg
various
Daniel Aaron, Jocelyn Bell Burnell, William H. Gates III, Conrad K. Harper, William Felton ‘Bill’ Russell, Joan Wallach Scott, Robert Silvers, Lawrence H. Summers, Karen K. Uhlenbeck
various
His Highness the Aga Khan, James P. Comer, Wen C. Fong, Eric R. Kandel, The Hon. Damon J. Keith, Gerda Lerner, John McCarthy, Janet Rowley, J.K. Rowling, Daniel C. Tosteson, Sen. Edward Kennedy
various
Steven Chu, Pedro Almodóvar, Joan Didion, Wendy Doniger, Ronald Dworkin, Anthony S. Fauci, Sarah Hrdy, Robert Langer, Wynton Marsalis, Sidney Verba
various
Thomas R. Cech, Renée C. Fox, Freeman A. Hrabowski III, Susan Lindquist, Thomas Nagel, David G. Nathan, The Baroness Onora O’Neill of Bengarve, Richard Serra, David H. Souter, Meryl Streep
various
Sir Timothy Berners-Lee, Plácido Domingo, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Dudley Herschbach, James R. Houghton, Rosalind Krauss, J.G.A. Pocock, David Satcher, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
various
John Adams, K. Anthony Appiah, Dame Gillian Beer, Walter Kohn, Wendy Kopp, Hon. John Lewis, Mario Molina, Fareed Zakaria
various

On the value of logbooks, I doubt that an inexperienced diver will fill his/hers up (or loan their computer to someone else to log dives) just to make up for deficiencies in their diving capabilities. Although the AOW card sets a standard that one has met, that does not make that person an "Advanced Diver" in the sense of a challenging dive. So a peek at one's logbook should worth something...

As to the value of a card, just recently I applied for a volunteer diver position that required rescue certification and the only use of the certification card was to get permission to enter the pool and demonstrate rescue skills... The point? That card does not mean much in terms of skill... and a checkout dive is probably the only way one can tell what a diver is capable of.

I wouldn't be so sure. Seems there was a Cave Diving Accident where 2 divers pretty much fudged their credentials and go themselves killed while diving a cave in FL. I don't know the full details, but in order to dive this spring you have to show things.

---------- Post added May 29th, 2013 at 07:48 PM ----------

YearRecipientDegree
1753Benjamin FranklinA.M.
1776George WashingtonLL.D.
1781John AdamsLL.D.
1787Thomas JeffersonLL.D.
1792Samuel AdamsLL.D.
1822John Quincy AdamsLL.D.
1832Washington IrvingLL.D.
1833Andrew JacksonLL.D.
1852Alexis Charles Henri de TocquevilleLL.D.
1859Henry Wadsworth LongfellowLL.D.
1866Ralph Waldo EmersonLL.D.
1872Ulysses S. GrantLL.D.
1896Booker T. WashingtonA.M.
1905William Howard TaftLL.D.
1907Woodrow WilsonLL.D.
1916John Singer SargentArt.D.
1917Herbert HooverLL.D.
1919Theodore RooseveltA.M.
1929Franklin Delano RooseveltLL.D.
1935Albert EinsteinS.D.
1937Robert FrostLitt.D.
1938Walt DisneyA.M.
1940Carl SandburgLitt.D.
1943Winston ChurchillLL.D.
1946Dwight EisenhowerLL.D.
1947George MarshallLL.D.
1951Thornton WilderLitt.D.
1956John F. KennedyLL.D.
1961Aaron CoplandMus.D.
1966Martha GrahamArt.D.
1967Leonard BernsteinMus.D.
1968Mohammad Reza PahlaviLL.D.
1972Saul BellowLitt.D.
1973Georgia O’KeeffeArt.D.
1973Robert Penn WarrenLitt.D.
1974Mstislav L. RostropovichMus.D.
1974Beverly SillsMus.D.
1976Arthur FiedlerArt.D.
1977Barbara JordanLL.D.
1977Eudora WeltyLitt.D.
1978John CheeverLitt.D.
1978Aleksandr SolzhenitsynLitt.D.
1979Desmond TutuLL.D.
1980Octavio PazLitt.D.
1981Ansel AdamsArt.D.
1981Leontyne PriceArt.D.
1982Mother TeresaLL.D.
1982Tennessee WilliamsLitt.D.
1983Carlos FuentesLL.D.
1984Juan Carlos ILL.D.
1984Benny GoodmanMus.D.
1985Louise NevelsonArt.D.
1986Lord CarringtonLL.D.
1986Itzhak PerlmanMus.D.
1987Thomas P. O’Neill Jr.LL.D.
1988Jessye NormanMus.D.
1988Oscar Arias SánchezLL.D.
1989Benazir BhuttoLL.D.
1989Toni MorrisonLL.D.
1990Ella FitzgeraldMus.D.
1990Stephen W. HawkingS.D.
1990Helmut KohlLL.D.
1991Yo-Yo MaMus.D.
1991Eduard ShevardnadzeLL.D.
1992Gro Harlem BrundtlandLL.D.
1992Isaac SternMus.D.
1993Colin PowellLL.D.
1993Ravi ShankarArt.D.
1994Albert Gore Jr.LL.D.
1995Vaclav HavelLL.D.
1997Quincy JonesMus.D.
1997John RawlsLL.D.
1998Gertrude B. ElionS.D.
1998Nelson MandelaLL.D. (awarded during a special convocation in September)
1999Julia KristevaLL.D.
1999Herbert BlockArt.D.
2000Seiji OzawaMus.D.
2001John AshberyLitt.D.
2000Nicolaas BloembergenS.D.
2001Jürgen HabermasLL.D.
2001Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.LL.D.
2002Daniel Patrick MoynihanLL.D.
2002Neil L. RudenstineLL.D.
2002Ruth J. SimmonsLL.D.
2003Philip RothLitt.D.
2003Ernesto Zedillo Ponce de LeonLL.D.
2004Kofi AnnanLL.D.
2004Margaret AtwoodLitt.D.
2004Shirley M. TilghmanLL.D.
2004Edward O. WilsonS.D.
2005D. Ronald DanielLL.D.
2005John LithgowArt.D.
2005Charles M. VestLL.D.
2006Sir Michael Atiyah, Elizabeth H. Blackburn, Philip E. Converse, Philippe de Montebello, Shirley Ann Jackson, Jim Lehrer, Robert P. Moses, Norman F. Ramsey, Leo Steinbergvarious
2007Daniel Aaron, Jocelyn Bell Burnell, William H. Gates III, Conrad K. Harper, William Felton ‘Bill’ Russell, Joan Wallach Scott, Robert Silvers, Lawrence H. Summers, Karen K. Uhlenbeckvarious
2008His Highness the Aga Khan, James P. Comer, Wen C. Fong, Eric R. Kandel, The Hon. Damon J. Keith, Gerda Lerner, John McCarthy, Janet Rowley, J.K. Rowling, Daniel C. Tosteson, Sen. Edward Kennedyvarious
2009Steven Chu, Pedro Almodóvar, Joan Didion, Wendy Doniger, Ronald Dworkin, Anthony S. Fauci, Sarah Hrdy, Robert Langer, Wynton Marsalis, Sidney Verbavarious
2010Thomas R. Cech, Renée C. Fox, Freeman A. Hrabowski III, Susan Lindquist, Thomas Nagel, David G. Nathan, The Baroness Onora O’Neill of Bengarve, Richard Serra, David H. Souter, Meryl Streepvarious
2011Sir Timothy Berners-Lee, Plácido Domingo, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Dudley Herschbach, James R. Houghton, Rosalind Krauss, J.G.A. Pocock, David Satcher, Ellen Johnson Sirleafvarious
2012John Adams, K. Anthony Appiah, Dame Gillian Beer, Walter Kohn, Wendy Kopp, Hon. John Lewis, Mario Molina, Fareed Zakariavarious

OMG, Drunk Ted finally got his Harvard degree (he was thrown out for cheating).

I wonder what happened in 2006, did Harvard lower their standards for achieving an honorary degree?
Harvard, the honorary degree mill. :wink: < Notice winking smiley, no offense intended to Harvard grads.

I wonder what happened in 2006, did Harvard lower their standards for achieving an honorary degree?
Harvard, the honorary degree mill. :wink: < Notice winking smiley, no offense intended to Harvard grads.

2006.. that was the year Boulder John started teaching his persuasive writing class (I think).

Dear Harvard University:

Over the past decades, I have read a lot of books and had a lot of experiences that provided me with much more information than a typical college degree. I find, though, that I am unable to get the kind of job for which I am qualified because for some reason businesses are requiring a college diploma. I also find that it matters what college provides the diploma, and Harvard seems to do well in that category. I therefore suggest that Harvard have a program that provides a Harvard degree to anyone who can provide a list of books read that are equivalent to a college degree and who can pass a single check out test covering key concepts in those books. I believe that should cost $100.

PS: I notice that a lot of your recent graduates really, really suck compared to me. You should do something about that.​

ROFLMAO

John, do you really think a degree is that important? I've never wasted a single dollar in the "higher education" scam and yet I've had a highly successful career. I was making six figures within 4 years of starting and in 17 years I've never been on the bench. Why? Because most degree programs aren't actually "education" rather they are "training". Employers care about your skills and experience... not the paper on the wall.

Oh, and colleges do offer honorary degrees. But, like PADI, they typically expect something in return...

I am really sorry my point was completely lost on some people, but I think a lot of other people got it.

It's like giving money away. Why would they do that?

Because if they expect to be treated as a legitimate gatekeeper for recreational diving certification, making money cannot be their sole priority.

Scuba can cost a lot for gear, gas, training, and all the people you pay to take you diving -- but at the end of the day it isn't a 'pay to play' activity. At least in the US I'm not aware of any statute that says you need AOW or any other bought license to go dive, and the shops that require it will only do so as long as the agencies maintain some veneer of 'we issue this card because we taught you something new.'

Once it becomes 'you have to pay this much to be allowed to have X level card regardless of what you know', divers have every right to start printing their own fake AOW cards.

I am really sorry my point was completely lost on some people, but I think a lot of other people got it.

No. Your "point" assumed two falsehoods. That 1) people like me can't find jobs and 2) that companies care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom