AOW costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly ... following the Put Another Dollar In theme....

If you do a night dive as part of your AOW cert, you can count that a dive towards your night specialty. I think the night specialty requires 3 dives in total, so assuming you did a night dive in your AOW, you can take the classroom part of the night course and with two more dives, you can get your night specialty card.

OK...everything is starting to get a lot clearer now. I'm still new to all of this...so all of these conversations have definitely been helpful in clearing up a lot of things. I plan to talk to my LDS when I show up for the Nitrox class tomorrow night to see the actual costs for the other courses they offer as well. Then I can start planning ahead financially... :)

My AOW class ended up being nothing more than 5 dives with land drills and dive drills for the navigation. Being in Coz, we did the following if I remember correctly.

Boat
Drift
Deep
Night
Navigation

Well, other than Navigation, those dives we did everytime we got wet anyway. Almost all of my 2nd tank dives I have ever done in Coz, which approaches 20, would qualify as a deep dive in Padis eyes anyway. I think the only 2nd tank dive we have ever done that was under 60 ft was Paradise Reef which is 55 ft. Great dive by the way. I discussed this in a thread back in the spring but I was very disappointed with the AOW course. Not much to learn really. Just dive, pay and wait for your card IMO.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, this is a required course for rescue and most of the LiveAboard's operated around the world. Hope to get to Truk or Fiji soon for that but that's another discussion all together.

Did mine in Hawaii a year ago. $275 included pictures, 5 dives(all shore dives) and all the equipment.

PICTURES...............I didn't get no stinkin' PICTURES

Was I ripped off?
Were they glamour shots or just plain ol' pictures?
Scenery..........wide angle variety?

Man, now I'm really upset!
LOL

OK now we're talk'n 275.00 total in HA? I am in for that! How long did that take?
I usually end up in HA sometime during the year to dive, so why not do it there for that price. Who was it with?

$350 for PADI AOW seems somewhat high, and I'm not sure dropping $1000 on the whole experience is worth it. In that ballpark I'd almost try to hunt down a cheap trip someplace that does inexpensive certs.

Hopefully that $350 includes the dives - you have to find out exactly what is included as far as book, gear, diving, etc. My PADI AOW was mostly about the dives, and relatively little class. The most time was spent on navigation drills on the beach and in the water.

Of course, there's been some good points on this board about how training is usually underpriced because they try to make it up on gear, and how perhaps the 2 should be separated and training should cost more. Maybe that's what's happening here, who knows.

diverrick once bubbled...
OK now we're talk'n 275.00 total in HA? I am in for that! How long did that take?
I usually end up in HA sometime during the year to dive, so why not do it there for that price. Who was it with?

$275-$400 will still get you your Advanced card at most any shop or dive operator in Kona. Might be able to squeeze a lower price doing shore dives off either Maui or Oahu but I think you'll get better dives in Kona.

If you are heading this way for diving anyway, most of us just throw in the Advanced card for nearly the same cost as 5 or 6 dives normally would cost anyway.

later

Steve

When I did mine I had been out of diving for a number of years. I took the class thinking I was going to have a hard time since it was, "Advanced Open Water". Needless to say I came out of the experience with a real sour taste in my mouth and a certification that was not worth the plastic it was written on. If you want the experience dives (that's basically all AOW is) hook up with some good experienced dive buddies and go diving. If you want more info Rick feel free to PM or call me anytime, and I'll fill you in on the details. The only good thing about it was, it was combined with the PADI Nitrox class, so at least I got a card to get fills.

diverrick once bubbled...
I got the impression that it was 350 for the class, PLUS 5 OW dives. I assumed that meant that I would have to pay for the dives in addition to the basic class costs. Currently I do not have cold water gear, as mine was stolen, and would like to go with a dry suit (I think) Add to that the cost of getting to the sites, for diving, taking time off for the trips, Etc. I was looking a a good 1000.00 in total expenses. I am wondering if it is worth the cost. as I normally don't dive very deep, nor often, (5 times a year is a good estimate) it is hard to justify this expense

Then, no, AOW is probably not very useful to you. You are better off getting a nitrox cert, or just more experience. AOW can teach you some specific skills, but nothing you couldnt learn on your own with some experience. Also, if you are not diving anywhere that requires it, or not looking to go further to Rescue, DM, etc, then I'd say skip it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom