Anything I should be ready for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just did the DIR-F course last week with Dan Mackay (excellent instructor, by the way), and my experience is that you'd be well-served to concentrate on just two things:

1/Buoyancy.
2/Trim.

Get your weighting just right. Descend from the surface in 10' increments, taking 1min stops at 10', 20', 30', etc. Do the same on your ascents. When you take your stops, make sure you can hover motionless without varying your depth by more than a couple of feet. And try doing all this while maintaining dead level trim. Arch your back, keep your knees up, your hands in front of you and your head looking horizontally. Have your dive buddy watch your trim, too: it's common to think that you're more horizontal than you really are.

That's the foundation on which everything else rests; if you can get your buoyancy and trim nailed to the point where they are second nature and you don't need to think about them, then you will breeze through DIR-F. Where things get... ah, interesting is when the instructor starts task-loading you: if you do, say, an out of air emergency drill and your buoyancy and/or trim suddenly go out of whack, then you know you haven't made buoyancy and trim second nature. It's always a humbling moment when that happens...

The rest of it? By all means get your rig sorted out and get familiar with it beforehand. But don't worry too much about learning finning techniques, shooting lift bags, etc. beforehand -- you'll get up to speed on those during the course. At the end of the day it's all about buoyancy and trim.

Oh, and don't get too hung up on the pass/fail thing. That is merely incidental; you'll learn a lot about where you are at as a diver, along with the basic toolset for improving. That's the true value of the course.

And remember to have fun -- I had a blast!

TheFoggyMask:
Third times the charm?
No, never taken it...so hopefully 1st time's a charm. :wink:
edit: Just understand that not everyone sucks as bad as you think.

goodeatsfan:
My wife an I just signed up for our fundies class which will start in Jan. But have no idea yet what to really expect...

Any advise?

Will you be doing the class in Singapore/Malaysia with Gideon?

If so, you could always go and talk to other DIR divers in Singapore or even go and observe/join in one of their pool sessions. Get in touch with them through the DIR Singapore Yahoo! Group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dir-singapore/

TheFoggyMask:
Third times the charm?
People do actually pass the first time through. It's rare because so many of us start out with cruddy trim and buoyancy. But if someone has that stuff and it well dived, then it's certainly feasible to pass. I didn't expect it because I knew me and some people that expect are just full of themselves but really do suck from a DIR perspective. Then there are others who have been doing most things already and the class is just a formality. And those people will probably learn many things anyway.

Chris

Wow! I never knew it was so difficult to pass...... making me a little worried, although, I'm trying to frame a 'there for the skills' mindset. Thanks Vie for the link. I'll be doing the Jan course w/ Gideon in Sgp waters.... sigh...... maybe on a good day 3-5m vis?

goodeatsfan:
I'll be doing the Jan course w/ Gideon in Sgp waters.... sigh...... maybe on a good day 3-5m vis?

Gid's a great instructor - you'll have a blast.

We need more students for the Fundies in Krabi next month (Thailand, 18-21 November). Vis should be slightly better. So if you have the time/are interested in doing the course earlier, talk to Gid and come on up!

Can the DIR folks here give me some gear advice? I was looking to get a cheaper than halcyon single tank rig for my fundies, but was told that oxycheq isn't DIR. Any suggestions as to which brands/models are? why is oxycheq not DIR?

Hi Vie, thanks for the offer, but late november through till just after the new years is crazy season.

As far as I know, all you need for a wing to be "DIR" is that it's not bungied, appropriate in lift for what you need, doesn't have a pull dump, has a fairly short corrugated hose, and one rear dump on the left side. Brand is not pertinent. I believe the Oxycheq wings meet those criteria. Certainly DSS wings do. My Deep Outdoors doubles wing needed a shorter corrugated hose.

Oxycheq can most certainly be DIR. Not sure who gave you that information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom