Anything I should be ready for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goodeatsfan:
Can the DIR folks here give me some gear advice? I was looking to get a cheaper than halcyon single tank rig for my fundies, but was told that oxycheq isn't DIR. Any suggestions as to which brands/models are? why is oxycheq not DIR?

Hi Vie, thanks for the offer, but late november through till just after the new years is crazy season.
I know quite a large number of DIR divers using Oxycheq wings. In fact, I took my DIR-Fundamentals class in an Oxycheq wing. The only thing you have to do to make the wing completely compatible with DIR requirements is remove the little plastic pull knob off the back dump ... and that takes just a few seconds.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just finished the DIR-F class last weekend.

Did it in an Oxycheq - no issues (except as stated - remove the dump valve knob)

Would have been easier if I had worked on ascents and descents as described earlier. My boyancy control and trim re just sitting still in the water was pretty good to start with but moving up and down needed some work and could easily be practiced in advance.

Would have helped if I had been diving with the long hose a couple of times to get used to it. Always had to think re OOA as my reflex action is close, but not quite right.

Would not practice the kicks in advance, you are more likely to practice them wrong.

Go in with the attitude that it is all about learning some new skills and I think you will get the most out out of it. I learned a lot in a short time, highly recommended. Doubt I will ever actually pass and get a card. No particular benefit to getting a card unless you plan to go on and do tec diving, as far as I can tell. Even if you are going to do that you will need to repass with doubles and a light so... the actual card is pretty much useless. The real benefit (IMHO) to the course is the skills and feedback from the instructor.

thanks all for that clarification. I was told that by a couple guys in the LDS. One of them is a DIR-F grad as well as a PADI instructor, but he sells Halcyon, so maybe thats why.

He offered to go through the bouyancy and trim aspects with me in the pool, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Tempted, but not too sure....

I would take him up on that offer. Getting used to new equipment and getting the trim in the ball park is not a bad thing. When you do your couse you'll be better off.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom