Anything I should be ready for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure you and your wife will make a good buddy pair that will be responsive and able to communicate well.

You're single, right? :)

Do nothing, and I mean literally. Practice holding perfectly still in the water column. No ups, no downs. . . .work on bouyancy and perfect trim.

Doing nothing is the hardest thing I have learned in Fundies.

Tevis

Archangel hit the nail on the head. My motto after Fundies was "learning to stay still". Good gracious is it hard.

Beyond that, learning to control your motions underwater while being aware of things around you is really quite a challenge. Imagine driving along a highway, with a drink in your hand. Task, excute two-handed lange change without taking eyes off road. You need to put the drink down, execute, then get the drink back. It's this kind of action without losing visual contact that makes fundies so hard.

I've found that the best practice I get is hover over something, like a rock or a log, have a buddy off some distance (10-20ft should be fine), and do things like unclip spg and look at it while not losing site of your buddy, or hitting the rock or log. When this kind of thing gets too easy, do it without your mask.. :)

There is some terrific advice in this thread. Fundies is a magnificent way for you to learn to polish your diving skill. Just go in with the idea of learning a lot, having fun, and getting better. If you and your wife take up the basic tenets of diving this way, you'll have a lot of fun in the water.

This sounds so ZEN-like. You have to learn and re-learn everything and yet unlearn it all.... In some ways, it sounds like there really isn't all that much to learn yet, I'm feeling apprehensive from having so much to master. But one thing's for sure, all the great advice from everyone sure has me even more motivated and excited!

Fundies, though rewarding, at times will be frustrating and humbling. It is unlikely that it will be equally so for both you and your wife. This is more true if you bring either differing skills or levels of enthusiasm to the excercise. If you both keep this in mind, you can avoid sleeping on the couch for the week after class.

will do.... though I've bought an xtra large and comfy couch for eventualities :D

My motto after Fundies was "learning to stay still". Good gracious is it hard.

But it's so much FUN! It has become one of my absolutely favorite things in a dive, the ability to sit perfectly still, not move a fintip, and just enjoy being weightless. One of the big frustrations about transitioning to doubles has been losing that for a while, but it's coming back.

I'm actually planning on passing...

SparticleBrane:
I'm actually planning on passing...

Remembe if the instructor tears into you for your improper procedures just toss out:

"But that was what I learned on Scubaboard...."

:lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom