anyone used Blue Angel Resort in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becca65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
we're taking a cruise in a couple weeks and have a stop over in Cozumel - have contacted some dive shops there - many are connected with a resort and you can't rent tanks from them if you are not staying at their resort - have heard back from Blue Angel resort and they are willing to rent us tanks for a morning - and say we can shore dive from right in front of their dive shop.
Has anyone had any experience with the dive shop at Blue Angel - and how was it?
Thanks for any info!

Why settle for a marginal shore dive when you can see mucho better reefs from a boat?

we're new to diving - haven't been in the saltwater yet - figure a shore dive would be best for us to get our feet wet

That is your choice. However, there are plenty of dive sites that are shallow and will allow you to see far more with a divemaster to provide guidance.

Many people are newly certified when they get to Cozumel.

Blue Angel is a good op & there are a lot of forum members who stay there & or use the dive shop. As Ron has pointed out there are some excellent shallow boat dives in Cozumel but if you're set on doing a shore dive be aware that there is a current so you need to plan your dive so that you don't end up exiting the water far from Blue Angel. Walking back with all your gear wouldn't be fun.

we're taking a cruise in a couple weeks and have a stop over in Cozumel - have contacted some dive shops there - many are connected with a resort and you can't rent tanks from them if you are not staying at their resort - have heard back from Blue Angel resort and they are willing to rent us tanks for a morning - and say we can shore dive from right in front of their dive shop.
Has anyone had any experience with the dive shop at Blue Angel - and how was it?
Thanks for any info!
I love Blue Angel. My family has been staying there since the early 1980's, through several owners and hotel names. The dive shop is excellent and has a great staff, and I have dived from shore there many times.

That said, though, the shore dives at Cozumel are a 2 or less if the reef dives are a 10. Really, going to Cozumel and only shore diving is like going to a big name concert and never leaving the parking lot.

Blue Angel has a late morning boat that caters to cruisers who want to dive or snorkel. Do yourself a huge favor and take the boat. The DM's on Cozumel are very used to dealing with novice divers; just let them know you are new to diving and they will take good care of you.

Another good, and relatively inexpensive, idea for the boat dives is to hire a private DM. Almost any op can provide that. The boat dives are the reason to dive in cozumel. Don't miss out.

As as a newer diver, I'd be nervous to do a shore dive with current. I like knowing the boat is going to be there to pick me up when the dive is over. If you choose an op that keeps groups small, you will get great service and feel really safe. I was so impressed with Scuba with Alison for my first saltwater dives and Servando at Tres Pelicanos literally held my hand when I had a small freak out. I'd bet Blue Angel will take care of you on a boat dive, but I don't have direct experience with them.

I'm right with the other posters here - doing only a shore dive in Cozumel is your worst possible option. With the current, if you are not used to drift diving, and not good at underwater navigation (pretty much a given for new divers), doing an unguided shore dive means (a) you'll see much less of what is available to see in Cozumel, and (b) you run a serious risk of riding the current and ending up quite a ways from your entry point. Find a Dive Op and do a couple of boat dives. Do NOT book your dive through the Cruise Line - you'll pay twice what it is worth and end up on a cattle boat operator. If you are coming in to the International Pier, Dive with Martin is very convenient, its shop is right at the end of the pier, and a very good operator, and it runs an afternoon boat for cruise ship divers. Aldora is an excellent Dive Op, and runs later morning dive boats for Cruise Ship Divers, as do many other outstanding Cozumel Dive Ops, and many will do relatively shallow dives for Newbies. These are guided dives, you follow the Dive Master, and the boat is waiting to pick you up at the end of the dive.

Some dive ops like Aldora, Blue XTSea and others stop at a beach club between dives so you not only get to see neat things that you won't on a shore dive..but you can relax and run your feet in the sand.. Maybe have a light meal. Look out over the beautiful blue water. I know how to convince you to do it this way. Just a moment.

2b2ack

---------- Post added December 31st, 2014 at 08:34 PM ----------

Or this

8ckts

we're new to diving - haven't been in the saltwater yet - figure a shore dive would be best for us to get our feet wet
First & foremost: Hire a private DM! That goes for your shore dive idea or a boat dive. You don't know what you don't know, and it'll be money well spent.

Blue Angel is great. Go out on their big boat that caters to cruisers & snorkelers like Gordon suggested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom