Anyone know how to make a portable gear hanger/washer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is my rack, not that I would recommend buying one for just hanging and rinsing gear, about $100.00 on sale.

But if you have that excercise equipment laying around, plus you can do pull ups, dips, and ab work.

Mike

Mike, I have one of those and all I ever hung on it was me. A creative mind is a terrable thing to waste.
Bill

Dyno Bill once bubbled...
Mike, I have one of those and all I ever hung on it was me. A creative mind is a terrable thing to waste.
Bill

Bill,

I do not have a garage :( so that is my outdoor drying rack. After major dripping is done and or before nightfall I move the gear inside to a chin up bar installed in my back hallway!

Who says that exercise equipment does not get used :)

mike

I had a couple pieces of old dog chain (the cheap stuff for tieing them out in the yard) and a length of old galvanized thick wall conduit. Cut the chain in half, nailed one end of each length of chain to a rafter in the garage and formed a loop in the other end by putting a bolt through it. Slid the conduit through the loops and had a good solid rack. It has been there for about 5 years and I expect it will be there 50 years from now.

I like that

Ok, here's what I did... I think it works pretty well, and isn't too expensive.

I got all the accessory hangers from Underwater Kinetics.

They have pretty neat hangers!

I have one that holds my booties, gloves, hood, and openheel fins

The other one holds my BC and reg (the reg screws onto the hanger as if it were a tank)

And UK has an assortment of suit hangers... I got the travel version, has 2" shoulders and isn't too bulky for me to bring around to resorts. They also have drysuit hangers as well with 4" shoulders and inner hooks for drysuit boots/legs

I went to buy some PVC to make one. I found this and decided to try it. It's great! It is cheap, light, practical, portable, quick to set up/break down, and did I say cheap? I tried it and it works.
Set this up without the bag at the bottom, and without one of the crossbars in the middle. http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=107325-11112-03403

The only thing is hang heavier items further apart, or re-enforce the top crossbar by inserting the small PVC with a metal rod, or something that won't bend easily.

Enjoy!!!

2 Bar:
I went to buy some PVC to make one. I found this and decided to try it. It's great! It is cheap, light, practical, portable, quick to set up/break down, and did I say cheap? I tried it and it works.
Set this up without the bag at the bottom, and without one of the crossbars in the middle. http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=107325-11112-03403

The only thing is hang heavier items further apart, or re-enforce the top crossbar by inserting the small PVC with a metal rod, or something that won't bend easily.

Enjoy!!!

the link took me to Lowe's home page. What is the name of the product, so I can search for it? Thanks

When I bought my house the first thing I did was take down the chain link fence. For some reason I kept a couple of sections of the top rail. After one dive trip I hit upon an idea and stopped and bought a couple of closet supports (with rod hooks) at Home Depot. I put a couple of screws into the new wood fence posts and then laid the old fence rail on the hooks. Works perfectly. I also put screws on the inside of the one piece garage door. If it's raining I can still wash everything off and then hang the supports and rails in the garage and let the gear dry.

My costs, $10 for the supports not sure how much the rail would cost but my guess is less than $10.

I have constructed something similar to the garment rack, but made of PVC. I have limited apartment space and no garage, so I have a "regular" rack to store suits and gear when dry, and another I made to use for washing and drying. Basically it looks like a garment rack, but sized to accomodate one set of gear: BCD, fins, boots, suit/skin, mask, etc.. Works great to wheel into the carport for washing, then back inside after hanging for a while. Not too much flex in the PVC with the weight of only one set of gear.

Back
Top Bottom