Anyone know how to make a portable gear hanger/washer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divernva once bubbled...
I like the hang-bar idea for extra space, but gets in the way of the truck.
Ken,
I made two metal clips that are on the ends of the ropes holdng the hang bar up... they can be unhooked easily from the door track... but if I find one of those racks at Target I think I might add the suit bar to permanently to it.... that large diameter pipe is the ticket for suit storage... much better than folding on a shelf or in a bag.

For the bargain price of about $1,000, you can put a cedar kids climbing structure/swing set in your backyard.....the monkey bars work great for hanging gear......and if you hang gear from the swings and swing them back and forth, your gear will be "blown" dry that much quicker.......;-)

We have four divers in the family so we need a lot of space. We went to Lowes hardware and bought an 8 foot metal clothes pole.

I then attached the pole holders one closed one open to either side of the garage door, about 5 foot up. I then place the bar across the open garage door and voila, we have a hanger that let's the breeze blow through and dry the stuff.

Works pretty good except can't close the garage door with the stuff on the clothes bar.

Like the clothing rack! just put some pipe foam rubber insulation at 1' intervals (with 6" gaps for hangers), to lay stuff over (so not to rust), and looks like the base can be modified to hold a few tanks on their sides!

I YIKE IT!

Thanks for the great idea.

I made one using PVC pipe that will hold 3 sets of gear. Sorry I don't have a pic. I used inch and a half schedule 40 for everything except the hanging rod. That is inch and a quarter with a dowel inside for stregth. The base is a rectangle. There are 2 uprights and the rod. I had to brace the uprights to handle the 3rd set of gear. I only glued one side of each fitting. The other side is held with a 1/4 inch bolt. That allows me to take it apart if needed. It's on casters so it can be rolled around. I have about $25.00 in it because I had a few parts laying around the shop.

After seeing the rack from Target, I would probably buy one of those next time.

I did like netpro except I drilled holes in strategic places and sealed all the pipe and added a hose end to rinse and dry!=-)

:confused:

I'm confused. You actually take the time to dry your gear? I thought the idea was to get wet and stay wet.

:tongeout:

Maybe I'm all wet.

Really, though, they are all really good ideas. I kinda like the rack from Target.

I was taking another picture earlier and recalled this thread about rinsing and drying racks.

All you really need is a 20 gallon container, a pool towel rack and a large patio table. :)

Marc :jester:

In about 30 minutes I made a simple hanging rack of 1-1/2" PVC for about $10. It is essentially two large rectangles, one inside the other, that are hinged at the midpoint of the upright axis by bolts so they fold out to make a big "X". They have nylon ropes joining them across the top to keep them upright and taut and adds more places to hang light things.

Height, width, length all can be modified to suit the user. I can take them apart so they travel nicely. They hold a pretty good deal of weight since there are joints 1/2 way up the long axis to add stability plus all of the corner joints. We can easily hang 2 bp/wings, 2 drysuits, 2 sets of hoods, gloves, masks and undergarments. How wide you make it will determine how much stuff you can cram onto it.

Simple parts list:
20 ft PVC (1-1/2" or 2")
8 each PVC corners (1-1/2" or 2")
4 each PVC joints (1-1/2" or 2")
2 each bolts with wing nuts (4 or 4-1/2")
4 each eye bolts with nuts and locking washers (2" or 2-1/2") (optional)
10 ft nylon clothesline cord or 2 bungee cords
PVC cleaner/primer (optional)
PVC adhesive (optional but recommend making some joints permanent for stability and ease of set-up/tear-down)

Tools:
drill
saw
tapemeasure
marker pen

I can provide a more thorough parts list and simple instructions if anyone is interested, PM me.

diveski01 once bubbled...
It is essentially two large rectangles, one inside the other, that are hinged at the midpoint of the upright axis by bolts so they fold out to make a big "X".

For the life of me, I can't visualize this structure. Do you have a digital camera? Could you please post a picture?

Thanks, I'd appreciate seeing it....a thousand words, you know?

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom