Anyone know how to make a portable gear hanger/washer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I did was I went to a used store furnishing display store ( where they buy and sell used department store racks) I purchased a strong sturdy 5' long x 5' 2" tall coat rack to hold 3 sets of 7mil wet suits and 3 BCD's and a 4-way rack for hanging everything else. Both racks are on wheels. The 4 way rack is like what you would see in a clothing store( square tubing chromed approx 4 1/2 feet tall with four arms coming off in opposite directions) stong enough to hold 3 pairs of fins 3 weight belts (20lbs. each belt) 3 hanger sets with hoods, gloves and boots. extra soft weight pouches, lights and I'm not sure what else I have on there. But both racks are really strong. The longer cloths rack I paid 50.00 cdn. for that one and the other was only 30.00. I wouldn't have been able to even make them for close to that price.

Safe Diving
Barriecuda

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

The rack from my canopy!

It's colapsible
If it rains I can put the top on it and still dry the gear, as long as it's not too windy
I can use it to dry my gear in between dives at the site too
And I didn't have to spend any time, money, or use up any more of the little bit of space I have in my car with all the gear

Oh yeah and it protects us from getting burnt to hell (or rained on those first few weeks this season)

Somtimes I'll also hang stuff in the garage from a ladder that's hanging under a shelf in there.

here is my example, that after i found it in IKEA, some friends already took it for their equipment also. It has a nice finish, wheels for easy moving and on top of the rack it has four handles that are perfect for my booties and gloves....

sasha

I found a piece of pvc at a job site that is 3-4 inches in diameter and nearly 7 feet long. I put a piece of galvanized pipe thats 2 inches in diameter and a taste longer through it, drilled a hole in each end of the pipe and chained it to the rafters in the garage above head height. Its been there for maybe 12 yrs and is still working well. The kids did pull ups on it while they were growing up and its never moved an inch. If you want you can put a bucket under the wetsuits while they dry but to be honest I hang them and hose them right there, the garage drains quite well out the door.
Bill

That price is ridiculous though! Well I got sick of using the frame from my canopy. To much of a pain to set up with one person and too hard to move if it rains.

So here's the new one. It's not that high, but I'm a short guy anyway. And you can get it at the store and save the shipping. Besides, I think it's kind of funny hanging scuba gear on a Martha Stewart rack!

http://www.kmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=778311

I do the rack thing for most of my gear except my booties.
I made a bootie dryer from PVC with a small fan.
The booties hang upside down so that water can drain and air is blown through them makeing them dry very quickly.

The quicker you clean and dry your gear the longer it takes to get smelly. :eek:ut:

The quicker you clean and dry your gear the longer it takes to get smelly.

Ain't that true! My gear had no smell at all, then just one time it took a little longer to dry than usual and now it's funky as all hell!

Annother thing, I think that much of the smell was scared out of my gear by some of the water I dive in.
Them stinky critters took one look at that soup and screamed. "I ain't goin' in there!"

The life of a commercial diver, $20 a day and all you can eat. :eek:ut:

Two Carainers (small kind) $1.92US
Garage Length of Nylon 1" webbing (rock climbing Stock) $9.00
Two Hooks to clip Carabiners to .35 cents

Gear that last for ever...not pricless but better then the prices at the LDS.

Seriously though, I attach my rock climing webbing to two carabiners, one at each side. attach to two hooks attached to studs in the garage and hang everything off of it. It goes in my dive bag because I can attach the carabiners to trees or whatever and have a "clothes line" wherever I go. I have a 5 gallon Lawn Sprayer filled with water for rinsing. Also portable.

I am a simple person though. Spend money on gear, not gear for my gear.

USMC DIVER

Back
Top Bottom