anyone have experience with pinnacle wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i am looking to purchase my first wetsuit. i think i have decided on the 3mm pinnacle elastiprene. i live in ontario and will be doing some diving up here during the warmer months and also plan do do alot of diving in the carribean. i was told that the pinnacle 3mm is much warmer than many 3mm suits.

i was just wondering if anyone has experience with these suits and how you like it. i am also curious about the merino- elastiprene.
thanks

I've had one of the pinnacle semi-drys for a couple of years. 8mm with hood. Can't remember the name.

The zipper is finally starting to give way.

It has been a very good suit. I'm happy to see it going. Switching to dry here shortly.

As a whole it is well made and has survived a lot of abuse.

I know the wool is supposed to be exothermic when wet, but I couldn't really tell you if this worked or not.

I would recommend the brand.

I must have an odd-ball fit. The best-fitting bottom I found was a Pinnacle (Farmer John). The best fitting top was a Bare. Both came out of my LDS as used (rentals) so the price was good. I couldn't be happier with either, insofar as wetsuits go. My true love, however, has become my drysuit.

I am not an Ontario diver, so bearing that in mind, I really don't think that a 3mm wetsuit, even 3mm top + 3mm bottom, is going to cut it in Ontario - did anyone familiar with scuba diving recommend this to you? I personally own a 3mm two piece, 7 mm two piece, and a drysuit (scuba is expensive). I have taken the 7mm two piece when diving in the Florida and California on the same trip. In California, I used the 7mm top and bottom (but not a hood, unlike the locals). In Florida I used just the 7 mm top and found it fine - a few times it was a bit warm, but I just flushed some water through it and that took care of the temperature buildup.

A 3mm suit will have very, very limited use in Ontario. You are headed for a wardrobe.

Pete

I know the wool is supposed to be exothermic when wet, but I couldn't really tell you if this worked or not.

I have an advanced degree in physical chemistry. Anyone trying to convince you to buy a suit on this basis is either malinformed (which is likely), or an idiot (which is equally likely).

I have a couple of Pinnacle suits , the merino is an excellent lining , I only use the 3mm elastiprine merino in 80 degree water or warmer .

I will also say 3mm is very limited in Ontario. Here I am in SF/Cali, even 7mm won't be adaquate for most of the time in the year. I cannot image anything thinner for your location.

I use Pinnacle elestriprene 7mm merino, it is a great suit. I will buy again if applicable. I also have bare artic step in hooded vest. I think Pinnacle electriprene suit is much better made with better material.

The thicker the wetsuit, the more annoying it is to put on/take off, so might I suggest whatever you buy, especially if it's 'thick', make sure you have both wrist and ankle zippers, makes life a lot easier. My older Pinnacle suits lack such zippers, but my new Waterproof ones have them, hence my switch over to Waterproof...still have my Pinnacles as back ups though.

an instructer at my local dive shop recommended it. he said that the pinnacle 3mm is much warmer than most 3mm and that i would be comfortable during the summer months up here.

i think that with anything thicker i would be too warm when diving in the carribbean.

its kind of alot of money to spend on something im not too sure of, which is why i wanted to ask some people who know about diving and arent trying to sell me something.

maybe a more direct question-
is there a single suit that i can be comfortable in while diving the mild summer waters of the great lakes, and also comfortably dive the tropical waters of the BVIs?
or am i looking at 2 different suits?

thanks again everyone for your time and opinions

I recomend the 5mm merino pinnacle suit , you will not be too warm in the tropics you will be toasty , it will be much warmer up north than the 3mm .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom