anyone have experience with pinnacle wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are really looking for 2 different wetsuits... I dove my 3mm Pinnacle in Hawaii and would come out a little cold after long dives. In Ontario I am thinking you would also need a 7mm if you wanted to dive more than 1 week every year. This is your 2nd most important piece of equipment... don't try to use a spring jacket during a blizzard.

or what about layering? ive heard of people doing that.
could i maybe but my 3mm pinnacle and also buy like a 5mm shorty to wear over it when its too cold? could that work at all?

you'll keep your core warm... save your money, get a suit for where you dive most, then rent when you dive elsewhere.

You could go with a farmer john style suit... wear only the layers you need. While Pinnacles are nice suits, buy what you need, not what your instructor is trying to feed you. What does your instructor wear while teaching... that would give you a better idea of what you need.

I just bought a 3mm pinnacle merino wool elastriprene wetsuit. I wore it on my first dive in about 82 degree water and almost passed out from being overheated! I had to unzip all of the zippers and I couldn't wait for the dive to end so I could get out of that suit!
I didn't put it back on until about day 10 of a 12 day trip doing 4 dives a day. It is the best fitting suit I have owned but it is a lot warmer than my old 3 mm. Also, call Pinnacle directly and give them your measurements and they will tell you what size to go with. If I had ordered according to the size chart it would have been way off. I went with what their rep told me and it fits like a glove! Good luck!

he isnt my instructor. i was certified in the BVIs and i have only dived down there. and only 6 dives total. i really have no idea what the water up here is going to be like.

okay thanks again for the info. now at least i know more than one persons opinion before i decide.

i am looking to purchase my first wetsuit. i think i have decided on the 3mm pinnacle elastiprene. i live in ontario and will be doing some diving up here during the warmer months and also plan do do alot of diving in the carribean. i was told that the pinnacle 3mm is much warmer than many 3mm suits.

i was just wondering if anyone has experience with these suits and how you like it. i am also curious about the merino- elastiprene.
thanks

I own that suit, and it's awesome. In the pool. Or in Cozumel. Or maybe the Keys on a good day.

Where you live (which is less than an hour from where I live), you'll be able to use your suit for a couple of weeks at the end of August, and you'll still be chilly.

I'd really recommend buying a drysuit. It will save you all the money you're going to spend on a 3mm and then a 5mm and then a 7mm and then an extra vest, which you'll buy right before you wonder "What could I have been thinking?" right before you go buy a drysuit. The only thing more expensive than a drysuit is a drysuit preceded by three or four wetsuits.

If you have patience, you can sometimes get a great deal on a used (or discontinued color) drysuit, which will work out to be less expensive than buying a couple of good wetsuits.

In fact, I just had one of my best dives of the year today. The water was 39F, clear and gorgeous and sunny and I was toasty warm in my drysuit with Pinnacle Merino Drysuit Underwear.

Terry

hmmm a drysuit? i was considering going that route. but decided against it, for no specific reason.
i would likely buy used because it would be alot closer to my budget. but yeah, it would probly be cheaper than buying 3 different wetsuits and being cold eveytime i go diving, and then deciding to buy a dry suit.

thanks

You are looking at two or more wetsuits.

Check out http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/329941-dry-warmer-waters.html - I know that many senior divers dive dry even in warm water. I would recommend a laminate drysuit (which has no intrinsic insulative properties) - you will be the temperature of the surrounding water, moderated by whatever thickness of undergarment you have chosen and your activity level.

You can get a Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 3mm Jumpsuit Mens Package for $US 380 and a Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 7mm Jumpsuit Mens Package for $US 440. Alternatively you can get a Bare 2007 Nex-Gen Dry Suit Mens Black (closeout) for $US 650 or a (non-closeout) model for $US 1000. If you wait for a sale Bare will throw in the undergarments free. In warmer water you can just run to MEC and buy some thick PolarTec underwear.

Finally, if you are more inclined to spend $2K instead of about $1K you can get a custom-cut drysuit from, say, DUI or Whites - both are excellent drysuits (plus, Whites is Canadian).

I'd really recommend buying a drysuit. It will save you all the money you're going to spend on a 3mm and then a 5mm and then a 7mm and then an extra vest, which you'll buy right before you wonder "What could I have been thinking?" right before you go buy a drysuit. The only thing more expensive than a drysuit is a drysuit preceded by three or four wetsuits.

I want to ask all you dry suit diver. Do you dive in dry suit because of the cold water? Or you still prefer dry suit in warmer/tropical water? I would imagine I would prefer wetsuit in warmer places. But again, I don't own a dry suit and have never dive dry in warm water.

You can get a Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 3mm Jumpsuit Mens Package for $US 380 and a Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 7mm Jumpsuit Mens Package for $US 440. Alternatively you can get a Bare 2007 Nex-Gen Dry Suit Mens Black (closeout) for $US 650 or a (non-closeout) model for $US 1000. If you wait for a sale Bare will throw in the undergarments free. In warmer water you can just run to MEC and buy some thick PolarTec underwear.

Not fair price comparison. You compared Pinnacle at MSRP vs Bare at discounted price. I got mine Pinnacle 7mm merino for $150 new, of course, that was on heavily discounted/sale price. the 3mm one was for $130 at that time. Both together is still less than half of the Bare $650 dry suit. It is all about finding the good deal.

For dry suit, don't forget to factor in the underwear price. You will need one for cold water, one for warmer water. The cold water underwear can easily be $200+.

But again, I am not say ing multiple wetsuit is the way to go. When water goes to 50F or below, no wetsuit can keep diver comfortable for long dive. Dry suit is the way to go. But like I mentione above, I imageine I will prefer a 3mm wet suit in tropical water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom