Anyone ever been to FKCC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeachJunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello there,
I haven't posted on here in months. I will be returning home from Afghanistan and seperating from the Army in early 2009. I plan on going to Florida Keys Community College for their diving business and technology degree. Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about the program? If anyone has actually gone to it and can give me some insight that would be excellent. I am curious about job placement afterwards as well. Any insight or suggestions that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

A second possibility would be Halls in Key largo. If anyone has any information on their program I'm all ears... or eyes I guess. My reason for choosing these schools is that the government will be picking up the tab. They are the only two I've found that accept the GI Bill. If anyone has any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate them as well.

Thanks for your time and answers.

Hey BeachJunkie,

First let me say thanks for your service. It's brave persons like yourself that keeps our county safe and I for one really appreciate it.

Guess my first question to you would be what do you want to do. FKCC and Halls are two very different types of academics. College verses Vocational. Also Halls in in Marathon about 50 miles South of Key Largo.

I'm not that familiar with the FKCC's program, but I'm assuming they would give you a college accredited degree in business as where Halls will take you thru dive instructor and give you real life experience working in a dive shop.

So depending on what you want to do with your training after you get out would help choose which school you'd want to go to. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Thanks again for your service.

Good Diving,

DITTO on the "Thanks for serving". Before beginning I would really look hard at job availability/pay before starting out. So many times students are kind of sold a bill of goods as far as what they can expect. Telling student "best case" kind of situtations.

Are you already a DM or Instructor? I would think that dive shops might hire you after attending Florida Keys Community College for their diving business and technology degree. But would still like you the be at least a DM. Plus as I instructor you will be supplementing your income.

What ever you decide to do be careful with your GI bill. Many many (at least for profit) post secondary schools are just going to try to get there hands on your money. They will tell you anything to get there hands on your education monies.

What ever you do, do I wish you the best of luck, and welcome home.

Al (US Army 1969-1970)

Thank you both for the info and kind words. Its been an interesting 8 years. Sady not too many job opportunities abound for former infantryman. I figured I'd give scuba a shot since its something I love. I'm single, have a bunch of money saved up, and thought that this would be the best time to have a try at starting a career I will love.

To help with future answers and to clarify, the FKCC program is an accredited degree. It covers the business aspect of the diving industry but also all the other aspects. I chose it because it stood out from all the instructor mills I had looked at. (the fact that uncle sam would pick up the tab didn't hurt either). The program certifies you through instructor. It also includes a coast guard certified captains course, equipment repair tech, and certifies you to work with decompression chambers. There are additional courses on public safety/police diving and a commercial diving path can be chosen as well. The only downfall to this program is that the hands on "internship" style training doesn't happen. I'm hoping to supplement the time by spending the summers working at either local shops or possibly heading somewhere to be a dm during my off time. I figured that spending 2 years getting certified would be better and more thorough than the 12 week courses most places offer.

I have read a plethora of threads on here about the low pay and sometimes limited availability of work for new instructors. I'm hoping that speaking spanish, german, and english along with my military background and (hopefully) good training from the college will be enough to put me above other applicants. Also being single and willing to work just about anywhere should help overcome any other problems I may face. I have spent many years living out of a ruck sack in less than ideal conditions doing a job most people would never do for very little pay. The scuba industry has to be an upgrade from the desert. I'd rather give it a try than look back wondering what it would have been like. I'm still young enough to explore my options (at least I hope so.)

Thanks for the warning about the vocational schools as well. And the verification on the Halls location. I had read about it in a dive training magazine but hadn't looked into it as much as the FKCC program. I am leaning more towards the college since it is an actual degree and I believe more in depth program. Again, thank you for your time and well wishes. I'll be sure to ask again if I have any questions.

FKCC is a good college and living here is great. I'm sure you will be happy with your decision. You just can't beat living here in the Keys.

Im in the dive program at FKCC now. Im working on my NAUI instructor certification at the moment as well as an underwater photography course. I have take my Dive Master and Rescue certification there already. The curriculum is a bit slower and, I feel, more thorough then what you would get in a dive shop course. I highly recommend it. I don't know if I'll stick around to finish the AS degree or will go get my MS once i finish my instructor class. The staff is excellent and highly respected in the local dive community. Also, we are just now rebuilding the FKCC student dive society and are looking for members.

The FKCC program is excellent, far superior, in many ways, to those run by private companies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom