Question Why are my fingertips cracking/peeling after dives with zero contact

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
AVANTI4

AVANTI4

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Long time diver, first time poster. I'm a part time dive instructor, and I'll dive a couple times a week in all recreational depth ranges. I've been diving 23 years, but in the last 4 years when I dive regularly my finger tips will completely dry up, start to crack and ultimately peel, sometimes even bleed. The severity changes day to day, but the ones in the picture were when it was a bad case. I'm 100% sure its diving related as when I'm out of the water for a few weeks they become completely normal. So my question is, Why is this happening? Has anyone else dealt with anything like this? I've seen other pictures and threads and of fingers peeling but it seems their fingers were retaining moisture and looked pruned. This seems to be the opposite. I've visited dermatologists that have suggested it could be an allergy and to try moisturising, but this is beyond moisturiser. I don't use any soap for my mask. I do not touch a damn thing when I'm underwater except onto students when needed. This also has happened in multiple countries where I worked, Thailand, India, Indonesia, Tanzania, Philippines.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 🙏🏽

Attachments

• 20231210_144725.jpg
    20231210_144725.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20231210_144736.jpg
    20231210_144736.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20231210_144904.jpg
    20231210_144904.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 20231210_144923.jpg
    20231210_144923.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 66
All saltwater I'm assuming?

No idea why this is happening but look up polypodium leucotomos. My husband used to get really bad eczema on his legs when NOT diving, and the doc (who was a diver) recommended it. Cleared it up in two weeks. Anyway, it's a skin health support supplement. I take it daily because I've had several skin cancers. If you go on amazon and do a search for polypodium cream you'll find that there are not some expensive face creams that include it because it's good for the skin.

Other than that, Aquafor a few times a day? If you've been diving for 23 years that means you're somewhere between 33 and ???? Our skin gets thinner as we age. Maybe your fingertips just need a whole lot more extra care.

I will definitely look into polypodium leucotomos. Does it come in tablets? Do you know the name of the supplement? I'm in the Philippines now so it's a little harder to get things online but I'll take a look! I'll try anything at this point.

There was a poster with a similar problem a few years back who was diagnosed with aquagenic peeling of hands and feet. The photos in that thread look similar to yours. There's also a much rarer condition called aquagenic urticaria. Might not be a bad idea to see a dermatologist.

Best regards,
DDM

I have a similar problem when I'm on a dive trip. My fingers don't look as bad as yours, but my fingertips dry out and peel and all my fingernails break off and won't start to regrow until I stop diving. It usually takes a week for the drying out to stop and a couple of weeks for the nails to grow again. Could be the aging process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom