Anyone ever been in an accident in Bonaire w/o their insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of pumps just do $50 or $75 automatically. You will never know about it unless you don't have enough on your card to cover the preauth. I remember lots of people complaining in my area when gas prices were through the roof and the preauth values were getting larger to accommodate.
I have witnessed a "top-up" denial for a rental car driver that just wanted to splash in a final $10 of gas as part of their desperate last minute dash to dump the rental car before they flew back home. They had enough room on their credit card to top-up, but not enough for the default pre-auth.

Lots of unneeded stress and drama.

I have witnessed a "top-up" denial for a rental car driver that just wanted to splash in a final $10 of gas as part of their desperate last minute dash to dump the rental car before they flew back home. They had enough room on their credit card to top-up, but not enough for the default pre-auth.

Ah, yes, credit card fun. Not form a gas pump, but at a place I once worked we had a few bright sparks figure out they could spend the balance elsewhere between the pre-auth and actual charging...

That was after our bank started doing pre-auth, before that we creatively used the "tip feature" instead. (If you post a transaction with the same number and everything except the amount, within some number of minutes of the original transaction, it overrides the original and only the last one appears on the client's monthly statement. It turned out, there was no limit on how many times you can "tip" it -- think phone lines billing by the minute, after initial "pre-auth" charge of $100.)

I'm surprised that no one has brought it up, but using pre-paid credit cards may be an answer: Credit Card Help: 9 things you need to know about prepaid cards.

Has anyone has an issue with these when traveling? After all, if there is an accident and they try to charge the card for funds that are not available.... My guess is that it may not be that easy. Or is it?

I'm surprised that no one has brought it up, but using pre-paid credit cards may be an answer.

Has anyone has an issue with these when traveling?

No because last I looked the small print said "does not work outside of the USofA".

Years ago, I used a pre-paid card to withdraw money from foreign ATMs. That was before options such as getting a separate no-fee bank account and ATM card from Schwab. Anyway, my understanding was that the pre-paid card was treated as a debit card, not a credit card. Do car rental agencies accept debit cards? My guess is that they do, provided there is a pre-authorization or hold put on the amount they require to cover the potential loss. If so, then what advantage would there be over a credit card?

Years ago, I used a pre-paid card to withdraw money from foreign ATMs. That was before options such as getting a separate no-fee bank account and ATM card from Schwab. Anyway, my understanding was that the pre-paid card was treated as a debit card, not a credit card. Do car rental agencies accept debit cards? My guess is that they do, provided there is a pre-authorization or hold put on the amount they require to cover the potential loss. If so, then what advantage would there be over a credit card?
I've rented cars with debit cards in a variety of locations. The only time I have had it be a problem is if it is a local rental. For some reason it is frowned upon if you are renting in your home town. I've done it in many U.S. cities, as well as Cozumel. Bonaire could be different, you never know I guess.

I've rented cars with debit cards in a variety of locations. The only time I have had it be a problem is if it is a local rental. For some reason it is frowned upon if you are renting in your home town. I've done it in many U.S. cities, as well as Cozumel. Bonaire could be different, you never know I guess.

Do they put a hold on the debit card like people have mentioned gas stations do?

Actually, I just Googled "Hertz debit card policy" for enlightenment. So it looks like they will accept debit cards in some but not all locations, provided they do a credit check, you have TWO forms of ID, and some other things. Also: "In addition, the acceptance of such debit cards is contingent upon the debit cards having available funds to cover the estimated charges plus an authorization of up to USD 200.00 given certain conditions that will be outlined at time of rental." But it looks like they do the same authorization of up to 200 on credit cards as well.

I have no idea if that's typical.

I did Google "international pre paid credit card" and came across this link: 11 Best "Prepaid Cards" to Use Abroad (2016) - CardRates.com

Right. AmEx "is no longer accepting new GlobalTravel Card account applications or reloads" whereas searching Visa USA for TravelMoney returns an empty list of places where you can get one. If you find a prepaid card that works outside the US and is actually obtainable, please let me know because I have people abroad I'd mail one to.

PS. Checking that list further, MasterCard redirects to Travelex and Travelex is still available. So it looks like there now is one pre-paid card that works abroad. Good to know.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom