Anyone ever been in an accident in Bonaire w/o their insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to see this happen to anyone. It's good to read that nobody was injured.

I opted not to get the rental company insurance as after reading the fine print it does not cover the other vehicle involved and regardless if I'm at fault they take a $1000 from my CC until they figure out what the insurance companies decide.

Bonaire rental car insurance is no different than the USA in regard to third-party liablity. CDW insurance policies offered by rental car companies and most credit cards only cover damage, theft, or other loss to the rental vehicle. They don't cover liability for damage or injury to third parties. Rental car companies are required by law to include basic liability insurance on their vehicles and the premiums are baked into the rental rates. Supplemental liability insurance can sometimes be purchased to cover additional liability (such as running over a millionaire lawyer in the grocery store parking lot.)

In the USA any CDW coverage is almost always supplementary to any primary coverage you have through personal auto or homeowners insurance. On Bonaire your USA coverage isn't recognized, which makes CDW or third-party primary insurance coverage even more important.

I've consulted with my local insurance agent and he emphatically recommended obtaining temporary primary insurance coverage when renting on Bonaire. DAN's Trip Insurance offers primary rental car coverage but unfortunately doesn't cover trucks. Whenever possible we pay for rentals with American Express card and activate the $25/trip Premium Car Rental Protection policy. This policy offers primary coverage (unlike the Amex and Visa CDW coverage included with the card membership) and has no deductible. At least one rental company on Bonaire will accept Amex payment but requires their CDW coverage. In this case I still activate the Amex policy for $25 one-time fee and will be reimbursed for any deductibles or other costs not covered by the rental company's CDW policy..

It is interesting to read the full insurance coverage (ab rentals) and note that if the accident is caused b u u are covered, but if caused by other party and they are not insured you are liable!!! My takeaway is to always make sure its your fault :wink:

Again, this is because CDW coverage only covers damage or loss to the rental vehicle not covered by other insurance with higher precedence. If the fault is by a third-party it is expected that their liability insurance will cover the damage or loss to your rental vehicle. This is the same in the USA.

Yeah the insurance really covers little to nothing in the event of an accident. Each is a bit different but in reality it is next to useless. People just don't read the fine print generally. I called and specifically asked for details and was shocked at what is covers. If this was a small local company I could care less but this is an international rental company w/ a Bonaire franchise I'm guessing.

CDW insurance covers repair or replacement cost of the rental vehicle for situations exactly like this. That was in that fine print you claimed to have read in your original post. From what you wrote it appears that you would have been covered if you'd purchased it. Damage to the other car, if deemed your fault, would be covered by the liability policy previously purchased by the rental company as mandated by law.

I don't mean to come across as attacking you personally, but you seem to have made a poor decision in renting a vehicle without insurance coverage and seem to be blaming your liability on other factors beyond your control.

I know my comments aren't helpful to you at this point. I'm offering them with hopes that they'll help someone else avoid a similar situation in the future.

wwguy, appreciate the input and criticism. Clearly I may not have understood what i read fully. And as far as liability, it is very difficult to judge speed of a vehicle when it is coming directly at you and you have no other reference of speed. Speed was the sole reason for this crash and here in the states if I pull out in front of a bike going 100 MPH I would not be at fault obviously as the closing speed is so fast you cannot judge nor react in a timely manner. I've seen this happen more than once and generally the other driver is cited w/ failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and put as vehicle #1 on the crash report. This was a very similar situation and really there is nothing I could have done aside from looking at the vehicle, attempting to judge speed and also take into consideration the speed of the road. I certainly am not going to admit fault in a situation like this.

Back on the topic of insurance, what you are saying is that the required liability insurance my rental company has will cover the other vehicle and I will be financially responsible for the rental vehicle repair costs in this situation if found to be at fault? I'm going to try to find the documentation I read pertaining to the insurance options for this company.

Dave

Oh boy, please let us know how this turns out. I predict you are screwed, there will be no proof of speed being the culprit, only that a tourist driving an unfamiliar vehicle in an unfamiliar country made a left turn in front of a local and caused the local to hit him. Hopefully I'm totally wrong.

Oh boy, please let us know how this turns out. I predict you are screwed, there will be no proof of speed being the culprit, only that a tourist driving an unfamiliar vehicle in an unfamiliar country pulled out in front of a local and caused the accident. Hopefully I'm totally wrong.
I really hope you are wrong too LOL. There is tons of evidence of speed. If he was even going remotely close to the speed limit a. he wouldn't have been even close to me and even if he was at 25 MPH he could have easily stopped. 25 mph posted speed limit throughout the entire town, 50' of skid marks, skid marks showing the back of his vehicle shifting 4' to the side after impact, knocking my car onto two wheels and almost forcing it onto it's side, extensive damage, etc. all indicators of excessive speed of impact. Add them all together and they will indicate a vehicle travelling in excess of double, maybe triple the speed limit. Either way I'll have to deal with it, just hoping there are some in here who can interpret the legalese here and tell me what my liabilities would be if found at fault and if I'd have any case in proving speed to be the sole reason for this based on pictures/evidence at scene.

Again, this is because CDW coverage only covers damage or loss to the rental vehicle not covered by other insurance with higher precedence. If the fault is by a third-party it is expected that their liability insurance will cover the damage or loss to your rental vehicle. This is the same in the USA.

I was specifically talking about AB Rentals "Full" coverage, not their CDW... AB Car Rental Bonaire - CDW Insurances That appears to cover you in the case that you caused the damage, but not if the other party is at fault and does not have coverage.. Sorry for the hijack of sorts, but I think this stuff is important for us to understand.

No worries, if this helps one person it's worth it. It really is murky. When you call and ask what is covered they tell you one thing however their own documentation says that you cannot use what they tell you is covered against them in court, so who would you ask? They won't answer that.

Dave

Back on the topic of insurance, what you are saying is that the required liability insurance my rental company has will cover the other vehicle and I will be financially responsible for the rental vehicle repair costs in this situation if found to be at fault? I'm going to try to find the documentation I read pertaining to the insurance options for this company.

Thanks for taking my comments as intended. I'm certainly no lawyer and am merely an experienced Bonaire tourist at best. But I've inquired about liability insurance with several car rental companies on Bonaire and in all cases was told that liability insurance is compulsory and must be in place for the vehicles to be registered and on the roads. For example, Article 9 of AB's Terms & Conditions web page makes reference to the Motor Insurance Liability Act BES and liability coverage of up to $140,000 per event.

I was specifically talking about AB Rentals "Full" coverage, not their CDW... AB Car Rental Bonaire - CDW Insurances That appears to cover you in the case that you caused the damage, but not if the other party is at fault and does not have coverage.. Sorry for the hijack of sorts, but I think this stuff is important for us to understand.

Gotcha. Sorry for any added confusion on my part. I looked at the page you linked as well as AB's T&C page that I linked above. It appears to me that their "Full" coverage waives the deductibles and adds coverage for burglary or theft, which aren't covered in the basic CDW coverage.

Article 9 on AB's T&C page states that "Additional Full Insurance covers theft and burglary only when a police report can be submitted showing that the Renter did not leave any valuables in the car and the key was stowed in a safe place. In all other cases, the Renter is liable for the damage caused to the Vehicle. In any event, valuables are defined as items such as mobile phones and/or accessories, cameras and/or accessories, diving equipment and diver watches, jewelry, wallets, forms of payment such as credit cards, etc."

I think a better description of AB's CDW plans might be "Basic CDW" and "Full CDW". It certainly isn't full vehicle coverage as we know it here in the USA.

You've got to have a thick skin when you've made the wrong decision and ask for input, no debating that. As i said before hindsight is always 20/20. We pondered getting the CDW and actually was going to get it until i called and spoke w/ a rep there and they told me what was covered. It seemed theft wasn't covered and in an accident only my vehicle was covered unless it wasn't my fault in which case I'm paying anyway. Made little sense to me to get it at that point as theft and vandalism was my biggest concern. 20/20 again...

After reading this it does appear that if nothing else I will have liability insurance with my rental company covering that. I'm going to assume a large rental company would follow the law to the tee so perhaps this won't pan out as badly for me as I initially suspected if I am deemed to be at fault. What bothers me about this is
1. the guy was friends w/ the guy taking the report
2. I did not see any report and have no documentation at all
3. Despite the guy stating he spoke and understood English they spoke in papiamento so I could not understand what he was saying
4. I was told I was done and to exit before he took the other guys statement as to what happened.

All seemed very fishy to me.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Sorry for any added confusion on my part. I looked at the page you linked as well as AB's T&C page that I linked above. It appears to me that their "Full" coverage waives the deductibles and adds coverage for burglary or theft, which aren't covered in the basic CDW coverage.

Article 9 on AB's T&C page states that "Additional Full Insurance covers theft and burglary only when a police report can be submitted showing that the Renter did not leave any valuables in the car and the key was stowed in a safe place. In all other cases, the Renter is liable for the damage caused to the Vehicle. In any event, valuables are defined as items such as mobile phones and/or accessories, cameras and/or accessories, diving equipment and diver watches, jewelry, wallets, forms of payment such as credit cards, etc."

I think a better description of AB's CDW plans might be "Basic CDW" and "Full CDW". It certainly isn't full vehicle coverage as we know it here in the USA.

I think I may actually have to talk to AB about this before I rent from them next year. I know one difference when I take the full insurance is that they do not inspect the truck before I take it and after I return it. So they do cover the little bumps and scratches. But I suppose thats still up to their discretion! This really merits some more research to determine how to be properly covered... Appreciate your comments!

I'm glad no one got hurt and you're back safe and sound in your country. I heard that in some countries (e.g., Mexico), they put you in jail after a car accident until things are sorted out.

Understanding insurance policies are a nightmare, even for a lawyer. That's why I try to avoid renting a car in foreign countries if at all possible. If not, I always research the local insurance laws and purchase as much insurance as I can, and this is on top of any insurance that I may have on my credit cards. I know it can get expensive, but I'm conservative and crap usually happens to me.

Back
Top Bottom