Anyone diving Sunday 3/29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James B and I are going Saturday. I guess the group I'm tagging along with is going to try Monastery but probably end up doing something more protected.

Are you diving off your boat or shore diving? If it's the shore, I'd urge an extremely high level of caution approaching Monastery with the forecasted conditions. Just in case you don't know about the site (since you mentioned earlier that you were new to NorCal diving), the particular profile of the beach makes it an extremely deceptive and dangerous entry/exit. People get rolled in the surf, pounded onto the sand, and unfortauntely, even killed with regrettable regularity at that spot. Many experienced divers will only dive Monastery on very flat, calm days (such as when the surf is no more than knee-high).

With 7-10ft NW swells coming in, Monastery wouldn't be my first choice.

Dive safe!

The problem is with the Monterey Bay forecast is the range of swell heights.
There's always some place protected, usually the mouth of Santa Cruz
harbor. If you use the offshore forecast, and observe what it means
at your favorite dive sites, I think you'll get a more consistent result.

And the offshore forecast is not at any particular buoy, it's the AREA
"PIGEON POINT TO POINT PINOS OUT TO 20 NM-".

With this weekend's forecast, I would NOT be thinking Monastery, I'd
be thinking Breakwater, MacAbee, Lovers. Or the Aqaurium.

Me, I can see Saturday going either way. The truck is partially packed,
I'm going to get up at 5, check the forecasts and the real-time data, and
call Linda to wake her up IF we are going diving.

Sunday's likely going to be lawn-mowing and taxes.

I'll be down at BW tomorrow morning. I Have a buddy with a class down there this weekend, at 6:00 PM I got a conditions report: 15 to 20 at class depth, looks like it opened up deeper. It's Monterey.

Amusing that "It's Monterey" is a sufficient and understandable conditions report.:shakehead:

Nomad

I can work with 15-20 at BW, sounds like she did open up with the viz. I hope tomorrow keeps the conditions or better. I'll be there at 8am see you all there... There will be two other divers with me so if any others would like to join feel free to PM.

MG

Conditions got bad overnight. BW was surgy and we had maybe 5 feet. If i didn't have to go in (students) I would not have.It was doable, but no fun.

-Nomad

Saw Mike at McAbee this afternoon. Said it was 7' vis. Wonder what all the boats had, there was a lot of white caps this afternoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom