Anyone diving Laguna Sunday 11-7?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScotM, I hear you.. I feel your pain.. I had to do the rental shuffle for a little while...and I hated it...

Even if you own one tank, you might wake up and find it empty...
now if you have 2, or 3 ... or 4.... that's another story....

I need to get a second tank.... so I don't have to do the "air fill shuffle". So one tank can get filled while I'm diving with the second.

At least I can get an air fill on Wednesday or Thursday. Renting has to be done the day before. Of course, I see the wisdom in getting 2 tanks... or 3... or 4. :D

Scot M:
I see the wisdom in getting 2 tanks... or 3... or 4. :D

Two tanks are good, unless you’re planning to make a day (3+ dives) of it. Remember you can always get a fill while your having a meal.

But, if you’re diving secluded/remote beaches - or if you're a die-hard 3+ tanks are mandatory.

The Sunday dive day in Laguna was great!

Met up at 7 am with Robert Phillips, Freidrich and Headhunter (Christian) at north Crescent Bay. As we were finished gearing up, Snakedr (Dave) and Drjet (Ruben) pulled up as well. Conditions looked good and we made the long surface swim to Deadman's reef. I only said "are we there yet?" once! Viz was about 10-15 as we dropped in 65 ft, and drifted past Deadman's I believe. We signaled to surface, reoriented and dropped down at Deadman's. There was a bit of surge in places, but not bad at all. I saw several lobster, a few that looked keeping size. The usual suspects and a lot of sheepshead as was noted in another dive report. It was fun exploring the rocks.

After a longish SI, Robert, Christian, Dave and I headed to the Pinnacles/Seal Rock. Robert took us through the "Land of the Attack Garibaldi" and I had several pecking at my regulator, mask and light. I left the camera on shore for this dive, so of course also saw a nice moray, several more lobster, and an octopus. The viz was somewhat better on this dive in spots, I thought. Ruben met us at our cars with large Diedrichs coffees to warm us up!

That dive was so nice we called Jetfixer (Todd) to tell him the night dive was ON. Took tanks to Laguna Sea Sports (happy birthday Laura) for fills and had lunch at Husky Boy burgers. Then we headed down to Heisler Park to check out the site for the November Wrinkles dive. Relaxed in the park and watched a gorgeous sunset through the clouds with Catalina in the background!

Todd arrived, Starbucks for all in hand :) and we decided to do Diver's Cove for the night dive. Christian was surface support and had a great map of the site. With Dave leading, Todd, Ruben and I headed out and proceeded to end up pretty much on TOP of the reef in some wicked surge at times, up to 5 feet back and forth. This is the first time I have ever felt a bit seasick underwater, lol! Saw several octupii, lobster roaming around and in holes, baby sea hares, sea and bat stars, etc. I counted myself lucky not to have collided with any urchins on that dive! We of course compared lights and Dave won. Plus he did a great job of navigating us back to our entry point!

When we got to the top of the stairs Christian kindly pointed out where we had been (in some of the wrong places) so we could learn for next time. We headed over to Gina's Pizza for some post dive replenishment, it was GREAT!

Thanks to:

* Robert for being a great guide and lending me a tank!
* Ruben for coffee and congratulations on your first night dive!
* Dave for being a good buddy and navigator!
* Todd for being enthusiastic about a night dive so that I stuck around for the fun!
* Christian for being a good buddy and for the surface support!
* Ann Marie for recommending Gina's Pizza!

It was also nice to meet Scubaxris and Laura, hope to dive with you guys sometime. Scot M, you missed some fun but it sounds like you had a great day anyway!

I have no good UW photos but tons of sunset pics!

jennifer

wrinkles:
Such a guy thing to want to compare.....

Mine was bigger! :eyebrow:

sapphire:
I have no good UW photos but tons of sunset pics!

jennifer

Really nice sunsets Sapphire. Thanks for sharing.

Damn, wish I could have joined you guys on Sunday. You're dive animals. Arrive at 7am, leave at, what, 7pm? Dive ANIMALS.

Wish I could have dove Malibu with Scottfiji too. But I finally got all the chores done that have been on my list for weeks. Well, months actually.

Love those sunset photos Jennifer. And the sea amenonemenonmenoe is incredible.

bananaman:
Really nice sunsets Sapphire. Thanks for sharing.

Jim:
Love those sunset photos Jennifer. And the sea amenonemenonmenoe is incredible.

Thanks Terry and Jim :)!

snakedr:
Mine was bigger! :eyebrow:

I must concede here. Snakedr's was bigger, brighter and definitely stretched further...now for the light comparison report.. :wink:

Jennifer, you are quite welcome for the starbucks and thanks to all for hanging out till after dark! Great sunset pics. I actually pulled over on PCH on my way down at Crystal Cove to admire it and kick myself for taking my camera out of the car. Thanks for posting those. Although shallow and surgy, a nice dive anyway. We'll find the grotto next time for sure!

Christian, Thanks for the topside support! Must have been funny for you to see us from the bluff taking a wrong turn :11:

Congrats on your first nite dive Ruben!

Gina's Pizza Rocks! Something to keep in mind for the Wrinkles dive.

Thank goodness for cell phones.

On Saturday night I was too tired to log on to ScubaBoard after Deadman's, Pinnacles and Seal Rock on the first dive in the early am, followed by a Shaw's tour in the late am and then the afternoon dive from Shaw's Cove to Fisherman's Cove to Diver's Cove.

Luckily, Jim had left me a message on my cell phone. So, I called him back and he told me about Jennifer's plans for a dive soiree on Sunday. So, I called Jennifer for details on the Sunday dive and tagged along for another great dive day.

I was too tired to do the night dive although, it seemed like "everyone" had a light that I could borrow. Anyway, watching the lights from the cliffs above was definitely entertaining. It was like watching a horror movie - "No! Don't open that door!" :D

As Jim has mentioned before in other threads, it's a tricky reef to navigate because of some of the sand that you don't expect to cross. I finally found the "mini-wall" the day before with Jan and David. "Believing" your compass is helpful here.

Thank you all for a great day!

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom