Anyone Dived Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnorkelLA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be going to Key Largo this summer (July) and I was wondering how the diving was at that time of year, which dive shops are the best, and I'm very interested in Spiegel Grove. I was wondering what dive shop does the best for Spiegel Grove and some of the reef diving possibilities down there. Also, I'm going to be down there for about a week or a week and a half, so will there be enough diving variety for that long? (Naturally I won't be diving EVERY DAY, but it's what I'm going down there for.) I might be interested in doing multiple Spiegel Grove dives because from the guys at my LDS they've been on it 5 times and haven't seen it all.

That's a great time of year to dive as long as no hurricaines are coming through: the seas are normally pretty flat in the summer. You'll enjoy diving the Spiegle Grove and there are several other wrecks as well like the Duane, Eagle, etc. Plenty of shallow reefs as well along with a handful of medium and deeper reefs down towards Islamorada. I've been out with Conch Republic the most but have also had good experience with Silent World and Quiescence. I did a double dip on the Spiegle Grove two weeks ago and I'd agree it is worth multiple visits. Silent World regularly schedules a double dip.

If you search this forum, you'll find many many threads on key largo with other suggestions on dive shops and places to stay and do.

Thanks! I'll definately have a look around. When you dove the Spiegel Grove how was the current on descent?

I was there in June of last year and it was great. I agree. Many good shops and many good dive itess. The Spiegel Grove is so big you probably need 6 dives even to begin to see the whole thing, so that alone can keep you occupied for a while. And there are many other sites. You'll have no trouble spending a week and not getting bored.

Thanks! I'll definately have a look around. When you dove the Spiegel Grove how was the current on descent?

The current at depth was near zero two weeks ago: but dropping down the mooring line, the current was semi-robust, but nothing all that bad: you had to just hang on to the line with some care during the safety stop. Conditions change day to day depending on exactly what the gulf stream current is doing, so sometimes conditions are better than what I experienced and sometimes much worse.

I dove the Duane last fall and the current on the descent line was incredible: I felt like a flag on a flagpole, though once I got down to the wreck, it was not too bad.

I've dove the Eagle several times.... folks always talk about the current, but I have yet to experience any current on the Eagle: its always been dead calm. Like many dive sites, conditions can change significantly day-to-day.

I hit all the big wrecks last year in july. The water was glass with no current. Couldn't have asked for better conditions.

As for dive shops, it's only Conch Republic for me.

You can't beat Silent World, Ocean Divers or Conch Republic in Key Largo/Tavernier. Silent World is at the top of the key and tends to run double dips on the speigel. A fast boat and great crews make for a great trip I've dove with them dozens of times and never been disappointed Ocean divers is right around the middle and will typically run a single dip deep and a reef trip on tank two. Big and comfortable boats with great crews Although I've only run reef trips with Capt Randy and Admiral Brenda, Conch Republic runs a class operation in Tavernier, just over the bridge at the southern end. We just had a group finishing their boat dives and Nitrox with them last weekend and had a great trip to hens and chickens with 20 plus knots blowing.

Just did four dives yesterday mostly on molasses. Water was flat like glass, current was little to moderate depending in the site. But vis was down to about 30-40 feet.

I have been with horizon divers and rainbow reef(free dive guides if you like that sort of thing).

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom