Anyone Dived Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have very thick logbook, but I'll tell you my experience for what its worth:

I went with Conch Republic Divers two years ago. I took a Nitrox course with them. They were friendly, professional and accommodating. As a bonus, there's a nice little cafe at the end of the pier. I dove late in March, so the conditions are probably not comparable, however I thought the top was rough and the current was respectable on the way down. As mentioned above, once on the wrecks, the currents were more tolerable. The duration of the boat rides were on the long side, but I don't have much to compare to.

I dove ten dives total: the Spiegel Grove twice and also the Eagle and Duane. After each deep/wreck dive we dove a pretty shallow reef. I thought the reefs were really nice: relaxing and plenty of life.

You asked if you'd run out of opportunities. As mentioned above, just with the Spiegel Grove there's enough material for multiple dives. I thought the Duane was pretty cool too, so I'd recommend that. Again, Spiegel Grove and Duane were cool: lots of life, big fish, neat wrecks -- I'd definitely go back for those.

Have a good trip!

I'll be down with GF and son 22 - 26 Jul to dive KL for the first time then we will head north to Miami and FL for the last two days.

I have a question- I have some more relatives going down before me at the first part of June. One of my cousins going down if I recall just turned 15 on the 15th of May. He's got his AOW and will have Nitrox but can't take a wreck course until June. I told him about the Spiegel and he seemed excited. He doesn't have the Deep Diver cert. though, should that be a problem for him or are there any lenient dive shops in the area that will take him down?

I have a question- I have some more relatives going down before me at the first part of June. One of my cousins going down if I recall just turned 15 on the 15th of May. He's got his AOW and will have Nitrox but can't take a wreck course until June. I told him about the Spiegel and he seemed excited. He doesn't have the Deep Diver cert. though, should that be a problem for him or are there any lenient dive shops in the area that will take him down?

IIRC, AOW and a deep dive in the past year is what lots of the ops like to see. Otherwise they want you to hire a "guide" (DM?) through them.

When the weather is nice the SG can be an easy, fun dive. Other times, very challenging. So exercise good judgement and live to enjoy it another day.

Original Poster:
I will be down July 14th-21st diving with Conch Republic Divers. When will you be down?

I did a double dip a couple winters ago on the Spiegel Grove and really enjoyed it. I went with Horizon Divers. I want to go back again but this time I am going to hire a guide. There is just so much to see and your time is so limited. If you're a recreational diver you are only going to get a little more than 20 minutes on the ship and that's with nitrox. The guide can take you to the "good" spots without you and your insta-buddy wasting time seaching for them. Be sure to buy the ship's photo card and study it before you go. If you are going to be there for a week and a half, and can afford it, you might want to look into Horizon Diver's Padi Specialty Spiegel Grove Researcher certification. Next time I go back I want to. It seems like a good way to see a lot of the ship as you do several guided dives on it [from what I understand anyway].

Also be aware that your compass doesn't work on the ship so be especially vigilant of your posiiton while on the decks - that's why the photo card is so handy - take it down with you if you and your buddy are both new to it.

I have nothing against the other operators - I only have experience with Horizon.

Last edited:
Original Poster:
I will be down July 14th-21st diving with Conch Republic Divers. When will you be down?

Not sure yet of the exact date, probably from the 17th to the 24th or 17th to the 27th

I have....There is a reef just off of Marathon, good fish, coral, and lobsters. Depth - 20 ft. or so, great for pics. Several operators in the area can take you out, the reef is 3-4 miles off shore.

---------- Post added ----------

I have....There is a reef just off of Marathon, good fish, coral, and lobsters. Depth - 20 ft. or so, great for pics. Several operators in the area can take you out, the reef is 3-4 miles off shore.

You may want to consider the dates of your stay with care. We chose to avoid the lobster nini-season, that I believe ends on the 27th or 28th. (Locals, please correct me if I am wrong.)

Rainbow Reef Diving Center. Hands down. Only shop with 3 Boats, and they are one of a few to put a guide IN the water on every dive. They also have a separate deck hand and captain... there is always plenty of people to help out on each boat/dive...

They hit the Spiegel every day. It can be very strong currents. You'll know if the Mooring balls are 5 feet deep in the water....

Molasses Reef is huge and there are 30-40 "spots" or sites on it to experience. You will not be bored in Largo as far as diving in concerned. Rainbow Reef also does 2 night dives every week...
Dive Key Largo, Islamorada, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom