Anyone Dive India/Sri Lanka?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMom1

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My hubby may be going to India in Sept for business... if I can get in some good diving I may tag along too! He should have a week vacation tacked onto the end of his trip so we could dive together too.

He'd be going to Bangalore, India... down on the southern end. It looks like only 300 miles or so from Shri Lanka as well.

I'd really love some feedback and recomendations.

Robin AKA DiveMom1

You could dive in Sri Lanka. Its the end of the season on the east coast but the sea should be ok. The west coast is still rough with the SW Monsoon. The east coast is rustic in terms of logistics as the area is just recovering after years of war but there is a certain charm of being off the beaten path. Dive operators are located in Trincomalee and Batticaloa. They should be able to help you organize transport and accommodation as well. I personally think that Batticaloa has better diving but Trincomalee has better accommodation options.

You are also only around 500 miles away from the Maldives which has some world class diving. But of course its expensive and nothing much to do other than diving and sunbathing.

World class diving go to Maldives
Good diving + land attractions go to Sri Lanka

Cheers,

Nishan

I havent heard anybody saying anything about diving in India. But a good friend of mine had done a few dives in Sri-Lanka few years back and he said that it was Good. Sorry but thats all i can remember.

Maldives is not too far from both countries. Should be able to get a flight from any one of them for $220-$270(Return flight). Try Sri-lanka Airlines (UL), Indian Airlines (IC) & Maldivian Airlines. These are the best choices to make in terms of price. Flight time is about 1 hour. (Maldivian might take 1h 20min but they most of the time have the best price.)

Its just the beginning of the season for the Maldives. So still if you have a look around on the internet you might be getting a good price on one of the resorts or a liveaboard.

If you would like to do different activities the best choice can be an island as they would offer more activities than a boat. If you are experienced divers and have no problems in current, dont mind doing only diving on your holiday(3 dives a day) then Liveaboard is also a good choice.

On the resort islands it more relaxed. Normally they will have 2 boats going out everyday. 1 in the morning and one in the Afternoon. Morning some islands they have a 2tank dives. So you will be back on the island after 2 dives. Just before lunch most of the time. Afternoon most islands have single dive. So you will be back pretty quick. But the best thing is that your dive are not prepaid unlike Liveaboards. Liveaboard the dives are included in your price. (Ofcourse if its a diving Liveaboard). Resort you can select a dive package ones you are there with the help from the dive guides at the dive school. Island gives you many other..water-sports,SPA,Live Band,Pool, etc...

Hope this will help a bit

Happy Dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom