Anyone Actually use a Sony HC7 Underwater Yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverbw:
Well, I just bit the bullet. Got my Gates HC7 housing from Marine Visions. It should be here Thursday. Not sure if I will be able to sleep between now and then.
Of course, now I am wondering if I should have bought the tripod also. Has anyone used this http://www.marinevisions.com/tripod.php
I really want to do mostly tiny stuff, but at this point, just not sure yet.

Is it harder to stay steady when shooting smaller stuff? Or will I be ok without it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Even though macro video is definitely more difficult to hold steady, I would hold off on buying a $500 tripod

Having very good buoyancy control, being able to stay steady in any position, a housing that is close to neutral, are all important and will help. But, in some cases no matter what you do, the shot will be shaky. Current, surge, quick moving subjects, etc..

Saw the tripod at the ADEX show last week. It is indeed a pretty slick piece of work.

ScubaBob92651:
You can also try downloading a trial of any software supporting HDV (Vegas, Premiere etc) - or better yet, download the cineform codec trial and use your current editor.

Had downloaded Vegas Movie two months ago when I wanted to test it out for other uses. It expirted and I can't download another copy to test it (until I figure out how the expiration date is coded into the system).

Did order a copy of Premiere Elements 3.0 today and Vegas Movie Platinum 7.0 has a $30 rebate this week so I'll probably get it as well and start looking at the HDV footage by the weekend.

Does the cineform codec work with Adobe Premiere 6.0?

drbill:
Had downloaded Vegas Movie two months ago when I wanted to test it out for other uses. It expirted and I can't download another copy to test it (until I figure out how the expiration date is coded into the system).

Did order a copy of Premiere Elements 3.0 today and Vegas Movie Platinum 7.0 has a $30 rebate this week so I'll probably get it as well and start looking at the HDV footage by the weekend.

Does the cineform codec work with Adobe Premiere 6.0?

Maybe it's time to bite for an FX1 :)

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=189551

This video was shot with FX1, no lights (although max depth 36 feet).
Manual white balance, autofocus and I think no red-filter (not 100% sure)

http://nickambrose.com/diving/movies/seattle-edmonds-march-2007.mov

It looks pretty good small, but watched it on a 1080i Plasma today at basically full quality (played the 1920x1080 H.264 file directly from a PS3) -- quality was really nice (camera stability needs some work though!)

Have used the FX-1 before. Very nice video, but way too bulky for travel... or to get the up tight and personal shots I need. Besides... I'd have to get a real job even to buy the used one (plus a housing).

Real nice clips Scubabob92651. I've been a big fan of using manual white balance with my TRV900 SD cam, it makes sense that HD cams benefit more from it.

It will be interesting to see how Doc's problems work out. Scubabob's clips show the HC7 works well in clear water with a good housing/lens.

Doc, I do think moving the cam closer to the port can only help. Don't know if it will fix your problems, but it couldn't hurt. The change might get more light to the lens and help with focusing.

drbill:
Have used the FX-1 before. Very nice video, but way too bulky for travel... or to get the up tight and personal shots I need. Besides... I'd have to get a real job even to buy the used one (plus a housing).

Agreed with the $ and traveling (although I did manage to get it in the overhead bin on a MD80 -- *just*)

I would think you could still get upclose shots with it though (unless you need to poke it into a hole :)

Ron... last night I moved the camcorder up about 1" to the closest mounting hole. I've often wondered if the ratio of the distance between the lens-to-subject and lens-to-housing port affected the ability of the camcorder to focus properly. Going out tomorrow to see if this helps.

Limeyx... yep, I often poke my current housing into restricted areas to get my shots which is why the FX-1 housings won't work for me.

Back
Top Bottom