Anyone Actually use a Sony HC7 Underwater Yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drbill, Telemacro on the HC7 still has like a min focusing distance of about half a meter 17"! But if you're not zoomed, I find it can focus practically right up to the lens (on land).

The lack of gain control is a concern of mine as well. Just doing some quick tests indoors, l can see the high gain being an issue. I'm not sure what you can do about it other than using strong lights or in well lit areas. Maybe drop the exposure down manual?

Chuckwill, sorry to hear about the Amphibico. Think I just read somewhere on wetpixel that someone had their monitor failed (no viewfinder on the Amphibico HC7) during a trip and had to shoot blind!

BTW, saw a Gates and Seatool HC7 housings at the ADEX show in Bangkok this weekend. Very nice. The Seatool is tiny but well made! Gates looked solid as a brick and with pretty straightforward manual controls.

drbill:
...snip.... Maybe the darned thing is just TOO complex for its own good!

Gosh, its like you need a PhD to operate it....oh wait....what comes after that :)

Seriously, thanks for leading the way on this. My upgrade to HD is on hold pending the outcome of all of these 'tests'....bet you didn't think you were going to be a beta tester.

Well, today's dives with the HC-7 seemed to go better than yesterday's. Vis was slightly better at the first two spots, and fairly good (40-50 ft) below 100 ft at the third. And there were nudibranchs EVERYWHERE deep, so I took a fair bit of video. Haven't had a chance to review it yet (a bunch of us got together for drinks and dinner after the boat came in and I just got home).

I'm a bit more optimistic pending review of the footage shot today. I'll report on what the footage looked like tomorrow. I tested the focus capability at different distances on the same subject so that should give me some good feedback.

I looked at the footage late last night before I went to bed. What looked good through the viewfinder often wasn't. I'm offering some additional observations here.

1. I noticed the same strong green cast to background and peripheral objects in my footage. Earlier I thought this was due to using auto instead of manual WB. Now I'm leaning more towards the CMOS having the same effect as our eyes. When we look at a reddish light (my video light is 3400 K) and then look away, we see a green after-image. I think this may be what is happening here. I am also using only one light (the other one flooded two years ago and parts are no longer made for them). That means that shadows are cast (areas which are not in direct illumination by the light) and it is these areas which come out green as well as anything outside the direct video light beam. I filmed some Peltodoris (= Anisodoris) nobilis nudibranchs mating. They are bright orange. One was quite large and the areas of its orange body that were not directly illuminated turned out green. Now using HID lights, or a pair of video lights to fill the unlight areas may solve this. However, I never have that problem shooting with any of the other four Sony cameras I've used in this housing with these lights.

2. I did some filming of lobster in the well shaded understory of a kelp forest (using the video light). I was disappointed in two things. Some of the footage came out sharp, but was slightly underexposed (suggesting poor low light performance). However, it was still usable. On other footage the lobsters came out out-of-focus despite the fact that the light was bright enough, and I believe I was far enough away to be in the focal distance of the camcorder on most if not all of that footage.

3. The silty bottom was full of nudibranchs (mainly the P. nobilis and lots of Acanthodoris hudsoni). NONE of the footage I shot of the small A. hudsoni came ouit in focus despite the fact that it was well lit. Some of that footage was undoubtedly shot closer than 10" but not all of it.

4. Filming at depth is over fairly silty bottoms which do get stirred up, and we still had high levels of particulates in the water column in the shallows. I'm wondering if the stirred up silt and particulates aren't affecting the auto white balance.

5. Sony's engineering decision to make the camcorder do "macro" focus from a distance is a bad choice underwater, although I understand its value topside where the camera may shade the subject when one films too close (have had that happen in my days of shooting terrestrial close-ups, but a good camera person can work around that by using good camera positioning relative to the subject and light source). By making the camera focus on macro stuff from a distance of 1 1/2 ft, it introduces far more backscatter. Dumb for UW use IMHO.

After three days of testing this camera, I'm considering a return to my TRV17 since I've "missed" some very good footage the past three days. My field of usable footage with the TRV-17 usually runs about 85% while the yield from the HC-7 so far is about 10%. I don't know what I'm going to do with the HC-7.

I'm sure I'll continue to experiment with it to see if I can get usable results from it. Hopefully I'll be able to borrow a dual set of HID's to see if that fixes the green cast.

I will definitely be organizing all my thoughts (and any possible solutions to the problems) and writing Sony about this. The camera may be great topside, but so far it is a bad choice UW under the conditions I film in. In tropical environments without the shading of giant kelp and extreme light absorption or scattering by particulates and phytoplankton, this might be a great camera.

If anyone uses the HC-7 with paired HID lights, please post your results.

drbill:
I don't know what I'm going to do with the HC-7.
...I thought you mentioned buying the HC7 from B&H? If so, you probably already know this from past purchases but just in case (and to keep you from getting 'stuck' with something) - I believe their return policy for video equipment is 7 days.

I think I've already had it for over 7 days. I didn't get a chance to test it for about 4 days.

Wondering if I've got a lemon since I've heard from others who hot excellent results, although all were filming in clear tropical waters.

Thanks Dr Bill for posting detailed information on your experience with the new HC7. Sounds fairly disappointing as HD is really the future but underwater use is not providing good results with any model. It would be nice if someone would manufacture a model for underwater use. I guess the market for HD video is just too new at this time.

I am leaning towards a Sony DCR-HC96 until HD improves. :crafty:

Doc, a few questions:

filter or no filter ?
distance of camcorder to port ?
any footage you could share for us to see the problems ?

drbill:
I looked at the footage late last night before I went to bed. What looked good through the viewfinder often wasn't. I'm offering some additional observations here.

1. I noticed the same strong green cast to background and peripheral objects in my footage. Earlier I thought this was due to using auto instead of manual WB. Now I'm leaning more towards the CMOS having the same effect as our eyes. When we look at a reddish light (my video light is 3400 K) and then look away, we see a green after-image. I think this may be what is happening here. I am also using only one light (the other one flooded two years ago and parts are no longer made for them). That means that shadows are cast (areas which are not in direct illumination by the light) and it is these areas which come out green as well as anything outside the direct video light beam. I filmed some Peltodoris (= Anisodoris) nobilis nudibranchs mating. They are bright orange. One was quite large and the areas of its orange body that were not directly illuminated turned out green. Now using HID lights, or a pair of video lights to fill the unlight areas may solve this. However, I never have that problem shooting with any of the other four Sony cameras I've used in this housing with these lights.

2. I did some filming of lobster in the well shaded understory of a kelp forest (using the video light). I was disappointed in two things. Some of the footage came out sharp, but was slightly underexposed (suggesting poor low light performance). However, it was still usable. On other footage the lobsters came out out-of-focus despite the fact that the light was bright enough, and I believe I was far enough away to be in the focal distance of the camcorder on most if not all of that footage.

3. The silty bottom was full of nudibranchs (mainly the P. nobilis and lots of Acanthodoris hudsoni). NONE of the footage I shot of the small A. hudsoni came ouit in focus despite the fact that it was well lit. Some of that footage was undoubtedly shot closer than 10" but not all of it.

4. Filming at depth is over fairly silty bottoms which do get stirred up, and we still had high levels of particulates in the water column in the shallows. I'm wondering if the stirred up silt and particulates aren't affecting the auto white balance.

5. Sony's engineering decision to make the camcorder do "macro" focus from a distance is a bad choice underwater, although I understand its value topside where the camera may shade the subject when one films too close (have had that happen in my days of shooting terrestrial close-ups, but a good camera person can work around that by using good camera positioning relative to the subject and light source). By making the camera focus on macro stuff from a distance of 1 1/2 ft, it introduces far more backscatter. Dumb for UW use IMHO.

After three days of testing this camera, I'm considering a return to my TRV17 since I've "missed" some very good footage the past three days. My field of usable footage with the TRV-17 usually runs about 85% while the yield from the HC-7 so far is about 10%. I don't know what I'm going to do with the HC-7.

I'm sure I'll continue to experiment with it to see if I can get usable results from it. Hopefully I'll be able to borrow a dual set of HID's to see if that fixes the green cast.

I will definitely be organizing all my thoughts (and any possible solutions to the problems) and writing Sony about this. The camera may be great topside, but so far it is a bad choice UW under the conditions I film in. In tropical environments without the shading of giant kelp and extreme light absorption or scattering by particulates and phytoplankton, this might be a great camera.

If anyone uses the HC-7 with paired HID lights, please post your results.

First of all I'd like to thank you for your post but you must be more specific, when you played back was on your analog TV or on LCD of the camcorder?

ronrosa:
Doc, a few questions:

filter or no filter ?
distance of camcorder to port ?
any footage you could share for us to see the problems ?

No filter. Not necessary when shooting closeups with a video light. Not enough vis to film anything else!

Distance camcorder lens to front port is about 1 1/2" I could move the camera forward by about an inch.

I can't capture the HD footage yet, only in SD since I haven't upgraded my editing software.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom