Anyone Actually use a Sony HC7 Underwater Yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took the camera out for a topside test. Video looks good despite being displayed on an analog TV with the analog outputs. Dying to see it on HD gear.

Disappointed with what I've seen of its close focusing "capabilities." It doesn't focus anywhere near as close as my TRV-17 does. Not a good sign for the close-ups I like to take. I'll have to try the Zoom-Macro (or is it Tele-Macro?) option.

Hey Doc, try a +2 diopter. They are very cheap, around $15-$25. That will help will the focus distance when you zoom.

A +2 diopter on the lens would affect my ability to film at distances greater than close-up wouldn't it, Ron?

I just discovered something else I'm not happy about. The Sony NP-FH70 battery which states 6.5 hours life on the packaging is getting only a 170 min (not even 3 hours) remaining life in my HC-7 after being freshly charged. No, the LCD isn't on, I'm looking through the viewfinder.

This camcorder had better take some darned good images tomorrow. If so, I won't sweat the "small" stuff... at least not too much.

The diopter doesn't affect the picture much when you are zoomed out. I haven't measured it, but I'd guess 90%+ of the frame.

A diopter is not a macro lens. What it does is let you use the camcorder zoom at closer distances. For example, my camcorder will not let me fully zoom unless the camcorder is 36" away. Adding a +2 diopter will let me fully zoom 12"-18" away for macro and still let me film standard angle by zooming out.

Diopters are also called close-up filters. I believe the HC7 has 37mm threads. Tiffen, Hoya and B&W all make them pretty cheap.

Thanks, Ron. I'll have a report from the field tomorrow.

Doc on battery life, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the "6.5hr" advertised is if you just left the camera on standby whereas the time left showing in the screen is based on estimated usage (I think)...

you are better off not to skimp on a cheap diopter. Get a mulit element one or you will really notice blurred edges on the corners on anything remotely WA

pakman:
Doc on battery life, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the "6.5hr" advertised is if you just left the camera on standby whereas the time left showing in the screen is based on estimated usage (I think)...

I get 6-7 hours on my Sony NP FM70 batteries which I use in my TRV-17. I certainly expected the same out of the HC-7 batteries. If I have to keep popping the housing to change batteries, I won't be a very happy camper. I expect truth in advertising.

It says the supplied battery should give me 1 1/2 hours (although I see about 2 hours on a freshly charged one) and the NP-FH70 6 1/2. I expect to get at least five hours out of it.

somewhereinla:
out of curiosity how do you focus? manually or autofocus?

Depends on what I'm filming. Generally use autofocus, but will use manual focus when AF can't seem to fix on the subject or when there are objects in the background or foreground that fool AF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom