Anyone Actually use a Sony HC7 Underwater Yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Now that the Sony HC7 camcorder has been released, I'm curious as to whether anyone has actually used it underwater. If so, can you comment on the color rendition and low light qualities of the video produced? What housings accommodate it (I'm pretty sure mine does although it won't access all functions)?

I'd be especially interested in any comparisons between the HC7 and the earlie HC3.

Very timely question, Dr. Bill as I am about to "take the plunge" into UW videography myself and am looking at that very model---I live/work as a Dive Instructor in Thailand, so may purchase locally (Singapore has very good prices) but the housings are all better/cheaper back home (I'm from the OC, not far at all from Catalina--many good dive memories!) and Top Dawg seems to be the "one" for the job, no..?

I need compact, durable, and moderately priced and the Top Dawgs are ideal in those respects...as soon as I get started I will give you my feedback, but as I am a "newbie" with regard to UW Video (but have years of photo experience going back to Nikonos IV and V) I may not be able to give you any direct comparison to HC-3 or other models....but from what I have read the HC-7 should be a "vast improvement" over the HC-3...

If you have specific suggestions as to pricing in the USA for the HC-7 (B & H seems very competitive, and they generally do NOT sell grey market items), and housing ideas, please PM me directly, as I know you have infinitely more knowledge and experience than I in this area.

Also have questions/concerns about lighting : necessary, or just wasted $$ in clear tropical waters? May do wrecks with this video so I am thinking will be useful for those if nothing else!
Best,
Harley

Funny... I use two Top Dawg housings myself. Have used them for every camcorder from the regular 8 days on through mini-DV. I can put any of my four Sony camcorders in the same housing without changing a thing.

B&H is one of my favorite places to buy but they're selling it at list price ($1,399) right now. I found one place selling it for about $1,150 but in my research discovered they were scammers.

Here in SoCal I couldn't shoot w/out lights because I do close-ups of marine life and may also dive deep to film. In the tropics you can probably get away without them, but will probably find the need to add at least one (I only shoot with one since my other can no longer be repaired, and can light subjects effectively with a single light).

The housing probably didn't require too much modification from the one for the HC-3. Will have to check it out for future reference.

drbill:
The housing probably didn't require too much modification from the one for the HC-3. Will have to check it out for future reference.

Doctor Bill, can you use regular (onland) lens (e.g. wide angle/Fish eye) inside the Top Dwag housing? Can amphibical do the same? Or wet lens?
Probably there is a thread related to generic housing vs. model specific housing...
Sorry, I am a 1st timer for UW video....

BTW, any more good news for the HC7 usage?

Thanks!!!

Hey guys, I have two customers that just purchased the Amphibico EVO HD HC7 housings and will be taking them underwater very soon. I will get some feedback from them and post it here as soon as I receive same.

alo100:
Doctor Bill, can you use regular (onland) lens (e.g. wide angle/Fish eye) inside the Top Dwag housing? Can amphibical do the same? Or wet lens?
Probably there is a thread related to generic housing vs. model specific housing...
Sorry, I am a 1st timer for UW video....

BTW, any more good news for the HC7 usage?

Thanks!!!

My guess is that there is room to do so in the regular Top Dawg housing. However, you may need to use an LCD in the rear of the housing to view what you're filming so there may not be room for both.

By the way, the place that has the HC7 for $1,150 apparently is a scam dealer. I read a few reviews on them after I posted my last message.

H2OPhotoPro:
Hey guys, I have two customers that just purchased the Amphibico EVO HD HC7 housings and will be taking them underwater very soon. I will get some feedback from them and post it here as soon as I receive same.

drbill:
My guess is that there is room to do so in the regular Top Dawg housing. However, you may need to use an LCD in the rear of the housing to view what you're filming so there may not be room for both.

By the way, the place that has the HC7 for $1,150 apparently is a scam dealer. I read a few reviews on them after I posted my last message.

Thanks for both of you for the related info!
Amphiblico is a famous brand, I also wanted to know the result.

Doctor Bill, does it mean that the roomyTop Dawg II is going to be more flexible than the Top Dawg Mini?
They cost the same.... or do you think I might be able to contact someone at scubaboard for a better deal?
http://www.topdawgvideo.com/housings.htm

Also, according to the users from other threads, some housings are using mirrors. I noticed that the image is going to be latterally inverted, but would it be easier to maintain? People talked about HD output => need a HD monitor etc.

Finally.... the price for the camcorder.... in Japan, it's really selling for approx. $1200. On the other hand, after the shipment is added on the top of that price, I am not sure if they can still make it.... I will pay more attention when I am looking for a reliable retailer, thanks!!!

I would definitely think the Top Dawg II would be more flexible given the rommier interior. However, the Mini may allow you to see through the HC7's viewfinder which is next to impossible in the full-sized Top Dawg (thus requiring a monitor or monitor back).

Back
Top Bottom