Anyone Actually use a Sony HC7 Underwater Yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
I would definitely think the Top Dawg II would be more flexible given the rommier interior. However, the Mini may allow you to see through the HC7's viewfinder which is next to impossible in the full-sized Top Dawg (thus requiring a monitor or monitor back).

Also, as far as I know, the L&M LCD's are 4:3 only (and no letterboxing? -- at least my mako is that way)

Since HDV is inherently 16:9, the LCD may not be the greatest way to frame shots (I have lots of errant fins in footage I take in 16:9 mode on the Mako that I swear didn't show on the LCD :)

alo100:
Can amphibical do the same? Or wet lens?
Amphibico has announced a 120' port for their EVO line. But it's not a full zoom-thru port, it will have soft edges above about 50-60% zoom. They may actually be shipping it, I can't tell if it's the one on their website or not.
does it mean that the roomyTop Dawg II is going to be more flexible than the Top Dawg Mini?
The mini is only 1/2" longer than the HC7. So the extended batteries - like the NP-QM71D and 91D won't work in that housing. Also if you add the monitor back, my guess would be that it would protrude too far into the housing and might even cause problems with the standard battery.
They cost the same.... or do you think I might be able to contact someone at scubaboard for a better deal?
afaik, the only two places to buy TopDawg housings are via Backscatter or Reef Photo Video. Both have the same price. You could also buy a Light & Motion Stingray which is functionally the same housing as (I believe) the Top Dawg Mini - for the same price. Actually L&M builds the TopDawg for Backscatter. I've also seen several used TopDawg's on eBay recently.
Also, according to the users from other threads, some housings are using mirrors. I noticed that the image is going to be latterally inverted,
Ikelite provides Image reversing circuitry with their housing. So it will pan correctly.
This housing includes (IRC) Image Reversing Circuitry. The circuit reverses (flips) the image and text on the LCD screen so that when the image is reflected in the External Mirror, it appears correct left-to-right.
Evidently SeaTool does something similar, but I'm not sure about when you're panning:
http://www.seatoolusa.com/hc3/index.php - look under Monitor.
People talked about HD output => need a HD monitor etc.
Afaik, the only currently available HD monitor is the Gates EM43. Amphibico has announced an HD Monitor also but the latest I heard is it's shipping sometime this spring. For around $2K...PM me with a real e-mail address for a link to a picture of it, it's on a competing board banned by SB.

As limeyx noted, the TopDawg/L&M monitors are 4:3 SD only.

I believe the Amphibico monitor on the EVO SE is 16:9 SD but I'm not certain. (I know it's SD, just not certain if it's 16:9)

I was told (second-hand) thru an Amphibico rep that the HD EVO SE housing for the HC7 with the monitor back can only use the standard battery since the back of the monitor extends into the housing.

Or were you referring to the HDV output of the camcorder. In which case I can confirm that my HC1 looks spectacular on a 1080I/P HDTV.

One must deal with what one can afford. Until I am finally "discovered," my pockets are not deep enough to go through a complete upgrade of my UW video systems (for the fifth time).

Well, I'm about to bite the bullet and buy the HC-7 within the hour (my self-imposed Noon deadline after procrastinating for a month). I'll let everyone know how well it works within my Top Dawg housing. I haven't purchased a HD LCD yet, so I'll only be reviewing the output on a standard analog TV set for the time being.

Let's see, Sony HC-7 $1,100; 37" Olevia HD LCD TV $750; HID lights $1,000; upgraded software to edit HDV $150. Results had better be priceless!!

drbill:
Well, I'm about to bite the bullet and buy the HC-7 within the hour (my self-imposed Noon deadline after procrastinating for a month). I'll let everyone know how well it works within my Top Dawg housing. I haven't purchased a HD LCD yet, so I'll only be reviewing the output on a standard analog TV set for the time being.

Let's see, Sony HC-7 $1,100; 37" Olevia HD LCD TV $750; HID lights $1,000; upgraded software to edit HDV $150. Results had better be priceless!!

I am definitely interested. I am considering upgrading (i.e. selling to finance my HD :) my Sony PC-350 in L&M Mako to go to HC7 or HC3 etc.

The FX1 is really nice, but quite a weight to travelwith ...

I've used a housed FX1... quite a beast to tote around even underwater. I'd miss a lot of shots with a housing that large. To get the footage I try for, I need a small housing which can fit into tight quarters and the Top Dawg is fairly good at that.

Did you get your camera Dr. Bill? What housing are you going with??

H2O Photo Pros:
Did you get your camera Dr. Bill? What housing are you going with??

Had to order it off-island (B&H) so it won't be here until next week.

Will be using my upgraded Top Dawg housing to shoot with it for a while until I sell a few minutes of the HD footage!

Nice Dr. Bill... Well I might be joining you in the HC7 club soon... :D

I'm probably going to pick up the camera this weekend and I've started lining up a possible housing and lights... :D

Sounds like you guys are getting ready to enjoy HD. Let me know if you have any questions on housings...Ive been lucky enough to play with a number of them for the HC3 and HC7...we jgot the new Gates & Amphibico HC7 housings in and they are beauties!!

Back
Top Bottom