Anyone Actually use a Sony HC7 Underwater Yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I must say the results from yesterday are better. I probably had a yield of 20-25% vs 10-15% last weekend. This camcorder definitely requires a different filming method from what I've used with my other four UW camcorders.

First, autofocus is highly unreliable. On occasion subjects at under 10" are in sharp focus (and the same subject goes out of focus as it moves beyond about 18-24"), while more distant subjects have been OOF... something of a reversal from last weekend.

I think part of the problem may be related to the particulates in the water this time of year. The HD camera is able to image smaller particles than my previous camcorders, and I think this may be playing a part in my OOF results. The statement that manual focus is necessary appears to be true. However, until I buy the monitor back, I won't be able to use that technique since moving the camcorder forward on the tray (closer to the front port) makes it more difficult to film using the camcorder's viewfinder (but not impossible, most of my framing was fine yesterday).

Auto white balance seemed to be much better yesterday than last weekend. The water was less green and vis a bit higher. I'm still looking forward to the housing upgrade which will allow me to access manual WB.

I can see that the need for manual WB and manual focus combined with the frequent slow start-up of recording is going to make me miss a lot of interesting segments that suddenly occur. I'll have to teach the critters to slow down and enjoy island time rather than imitating the hustle and bustle of mainlanders!

In short, I'm still not in love with this camcorder and the set-up I'm using with it, but the relationship may be slowly improving. If all else fails, I've considered a move to the clear, warm waters of the tropics anyway!

drbill:
First, autofocus is highly unreliable. On occasion subjects at under 10" are in sharp focus (and the same subject goes out of focus as it moves beyond about 18-24"), while more distant subjects have been OOF... something of a reversal from last weekend.
I don't use High def (I have a Sony VX1000), but I never use atuofocus. I focus the camera to infinity and I get good results that way. I am not sure if your camera has that feature or not. (orr how it would work)

I've seen camera's in autofocus mode and sometime it gets me seasick watching the camera go in/out of focus.

JeffG:
I don't use High def (I have a Sony VX1000), but I never use atuofocus. I focus the camera to infinity and I get good results that way. I am not sure if your camera has that feature or not. (orr how it would work)

I've seen camera's in autofocus mode and sometime it gets me seasick watching the camera go in/out of focus.

For waht it's worth, the FX1 (HD) seems to have amazing autofocus.
So far I have only really used it in AF mode and very very rarely do I see it hunting for focus -- a lot lot less than my old PC-350 SD camera.

I do need to work up to manual focus but, one thing at a time :)

Hi again, after many attempts to make my HC1 fit my Sony MPK TRV1 housing and failed to make the viewfinder line up with the back window on my housing I gave up and took the plunge and bought an HC7 that came in today and in a mater of minutes (just a small hole on the base plate) and every thing fall in place, no vignetting and I can use the camcorder viewfinder, no need of LCD screen. Now let me share my first takes on land with this new beauty, I used the same settings that I have on HC1 but the PQ was way better little bit saturated but I think this is because I've changed the color in the menu a notch too high, over all I was impressed with the OIS, the picture was stady inspite was recorded out of my truk. I plan a dive for the following week-end and I hope to post some footege .
The conns are that the mic is not as good as HC1 but for W/U doesn't matter.
Paul

limeyx:
For waht it's worth, the FX1 (HD) seems to have amazing autofocus.
What about particles in the water? I've seen VX1000's and VX2000's get confused on what to focus on when there is junk floating around in the water.

JeffG- I think the finer resolution of the CCD in the HC-7 makes it more prone to focus on the small particulates that my mini-DV camcorder wouldn't even resolve.

Another three dives with the camera today. Haven't had a chance to review the footage yet.

Did find yesterday that the "6 1/2 hour" battery lasted about three hours, going out towards the very end of my third dive. Where's Sony's truth in advertising?

JeffG:
What about particles in the water? I've seen VX1000's and VX2000's get confused on what to focus on when there is junk floating around in the water.

Not a problem

This footage is from Lake Washington (with RJack)

http://nickambrose.com/diving/movies/harpoon-lakewa.mov

This dive the vis was "if you can't touch it you can't see it" there were a (very) few occasions when focus hunted, but very very few.

The footage you are seeing was actually so dark due to conditions, that I had to lighten it up in Final Cut quite a bit (this is just a rough cut -- I am still working it)

-- apologies for camera jiggle -- i am still working on that.

The HD cameras for a given size CCD or CMOS will be by definition worse in low light conditions.

I.e. a 3CCD 1/3" HD camera (FX1) by definition will be worse than a 3CCD 1/3" HD camera (TRV900) because there are more pixels in the same physical area. So that's just life with HD -- you need some light.

But the focus seems to be really good on the FX1

drbill:
JeffG- I think the finer resolution of the CCD in the HC-7 makes it more prone to focus on the small particulates that my mini-DV camcorder wouldn't even resolve.

Another three dives with the camera today. Haven't had a chance to review the footage yet.

Did find yesterday that the "6 1/2 hour" battery lasted about three hours, going out towards the very end of my third dive. Where's Sony's truth in advertising?

Which battery is that? I'm getting ready to buy the HC5 and I wanted a longer lasting battery. I was going to get the FH70 but I can't find where it says how long it is supposed to last. I want a long life for liveaboard diving. It would be nice to only have to recharge at night.

drbill:

Long dead.

One thing: colder water can negatively affect battery performance.

I am lucky to get 70 mins on the PC-350 (which also has to power the LCD on that housing).

new camera I can do 2 days of 3 dives a day and still have battery (but since I have to take the tray off to change tapes anyway it's a little academic)

limeyx:
Long dead.

One thing: colder water can negatively affect battery performance.

I am lucky to get 70 mins on the PC-350 (which also has to power the LCD on that housing).

new camera I can do 2 days of 3 dives a day and still have battery (but since I have to take the tray off to change tapes anyway it's a little academic)

Duh! Here I am not wanting to recharge between dives and I forgot about having to change out tapes sooner than I'd need to recharge in all likelihood. I'm a newbie at this. Does it show? :D

Back
Top Bottom